Monsieur Camembert - Famous Blue Cheese

The Edmonton Event - before and after
KimSolez

Monsieur Camembert - Famous Blue Cheese

Post by KimSolez »

The big news for the Edmonton event is the inclusion of Monsieur Camembert - Famous Blue Cheese in the main lineup on Saturday night at the Winspear; they also have their own performance on Sunday night. http://www.myspace.com/monsieurcamembert http://members.tripod.com/~mcamembert/ From Australia, probably the best Cohen tribute band out there right now.

All the best. - Kim
Last edited by KimSolez on Thu May 15, 2008 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Monsieur Camembert - Famous Blue Cheese

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

This is really great news – I can’t begin to tell you folk what a treat you’re in for IF you come to Edmonton and see this amazing group in action! :D I’ve seen them in action several times (at Woodford Folk Festival) and first heard their cover of 'Dance Me…' about four or five years ago. Since its release, I’ve delighted in their double CD ‘Famous Blue Cheese’ album, which has to be one of the best cover compilations of Leonard’s work ever! If you’re undecided about coming, let this decide you! Believe me, you’ll leave with a smile on your face and their double CD ‘FBC’ album in your clutches! ;-)

What we’re talking about with MC is a world class act, featuring a top notch professional group of musicians who are not likely to be eclipsed anywhere in the world!!! 8) They just happen to have the disadvantage (in exposure and location terms) of being based here in Oz! They are certainly very well regarded here and have won an ARIA award (our equivalent of a GRAMMY), not just once, but three times! They have performed at Montreux Jazz Festival, in Paris, Switzerland and in Singapore. Apart from this, they have devised their own complete Leonard Cohen Show (which, of course, is the basis of their Famous Blue Cheese album). This Canadian visit may well be the launching pad for a more extensive world tour sometime soon after that!

Please don't discount my views as being a blindly patriotic manifestation, as I am not really like that, being happy to see great musicians get the acknowledgement they deserve irrespective of where they are from. (For example, you will know from an earlier thread, that I have a great deal of time for the bluesy Canadian singer-songwriter, Harry Manx, who I also never miss the opportunity of seeing perform! :D )

Hey, you’ve been told now! Okay, so MC is one good reason to register, but there are also many other good reasons as well (see the event program), so get your donkey (ass) into gear and register for Edmonton right now :!:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Monsieur Camembert, this is great news Kim.
They are not a tribute band (not that there's anything wrong with that).
'Famous Blue Cheese' is their latest album and it was a Leonard Cohen tribute album.
I have seen them live and they are fantastic, talented musicians who relate in their own way to Leonard's songs.

I had heard from Andrew that Carla Werner, who sang vocal on 'Manhattan' and 'The Guests' (for those who have the album), has auditioned to be part of the band. That's great if she has secured a spot.
their home page wrote:With a vibrant, contemporary edge, triple ARIA Award winning group Monsieur Camembert has been described as eclectic, virtuosic, theatrical and irreverent. Fusing the wild rhythms of Eastern Europe with tango and Latin music, swing, jazz, klezmer, tarantella and French Musette, Monsieur Camembert’s shows have become synonymous with an atmosphere of celebration and spontaneity. This is gutsy, emotive and irresistibly danceable music, played with originality, virtuosity, sensuality and flair.

The most successful world music band in Australian music history, the core group has been performing for more than seven years and has gained a wide audience at a range of events, including national and international music festivals, concert halls, various performing arts and jazz venues, including the Sydney Opera House, The Basement and the Art Gallery of NSW and celebrity weddings. In 2000, they were a featured act at the Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony and were broadcast on ABC Radio National's live concert series: “Live On Stage” three times.

Performances over the past few years have included the prestigious Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, three sell-out concerts in Paris, WOMADelaide in South Australia and Woodford in Queensland, Port Fairy Festival, Brunswick Music Festival, Ohel Leah’s Centenary celebrations in Hong Kong, St Kilda Festival in Melbourne and Bellingen Global Carnival. The group has also devised a full-length show Just a Gigolo based on the life and music of Louis Prima, which played to sell-out audiences in Sydney and the Gold Coast. In 2003, they released their third CD, Absynthe, which has now been on the Australian Jazz Charts for a record-breaking 105 Weeks, after more than 6 months at the No.1 position. Absynthe won an ARIA AWARD for Best World Music album. This followed on from their 2002 win in the same category for their Live on Stage CD.

2005 highlights have included a Best World Music Album ARIA for their new double self-titled CD Monsieur Camembert, performances at the Mosaic Festival in Singapore, the Toyota Muster in Queensland, headlining the Cygnet Festival in Tasmania, and the Sydney premiere of a Leonard Cohen tribute show. Plans for 2006 include recording, national touring, festival appearances throughout Australia, performances in New Zealand and a follow up European tour.
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
ania

Post by ania »

heheehh GET OUT!! MC are really going to the event... unreal... :) did leonard end up listening to famous blue cheese in the end? yaron was asking and i never did find out.
"It's strange. You never start out life with the intention of
becoming a bankrupt or an alcoholic or a cheat and a thief.
Or a liar." -- Raymond Carver
st theresa

andrew and famous blue cheese

Post by st theresa »

Dear Andrew
Now I am really dismayed to be missing our hometown event and to think I missed the chance to meet you in Australia when I was there. Just a few weeks ago I attended a Harry Manx concert in St Albert. He was amazing and he was accompanied by an Australian percussionist Yeshe who just blew me away.
I wanted to get a cd by Yeshe but there were none to be found. Do you know of him?
I wrote this note and then took the time to find Yeshe online--just ordered his cd--wow.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi st theresa!

What a shame you'll be missing the Edmonton event - why is this the case?

Yes, Harry is so cool - I just love getting in the groove with him! :D Yeshe is also amazing in his own right and has performed a few times with Harry here - I guess you could say he's become Harry's regular "support act". 8)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Andrew

I managed to order yeshe's cd online yesterday--I am so happy about that. Now with a suitably sombre look :roll: I confess that my reason for missing the Edmonton event is that I will be in Portugal at that time sighhhh....and yes --I do have my tickets to see Leonard in Portugal :D so I am not totally devastated--just a wee bit frustrated. I want to have my cake and eat it too.
I hope you will enjoy your visit here --I loved Australia when I was there-was totally joyful for two months --what a beautiful country. I even learned to drive on the wrong side of the road in the huge station wagon we rented. I drove from Cairns to Canberra and loved every minute of it. No night driving though,when we were in Rocky, one woman frightened me out of my socks when she said that if we drove at night we could expect to run into roos as big as our car. I had visions of Van sized kangaroos jumping out in front of me.
emmanaomi

Post by emmanaomi »

Hi KimSolez,

Which Monsieur Camembert member is joining Leonards band? Will it be the band on his tour with him?
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Monsieur Camembert are getting ready for Edmonton. I would be interested to know which female singers they may be bringing with them, do you know Kim?

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 25,00.html
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

I don't know that at the moment, but hope to have the information soon.

Best regards. - Kim
neo

Post by neo »

I have listened to Famous Blue Cheese this evening. It's great! Thank you for turning my attention to Monsieur Camenbert!
What sad religions they want us to believe.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Edmonton 2008”