First Autographed Book of Longing on Ebay

Everything about Leonard's 2006 book of poetry and Anjani's album
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hard to say why she's (if it is she) selling. Perhaps because they are 'both' public figures, thereby driving the price up even higher. But you're right. There may be more behind it. She has mentioned 'on air' that she sent the book(s) to Leonard to have him sign. It is a 'sad occasion'. $1200 can't be enough 'in my eyes' to sell, unless it's a serious situation. I too, can speculate wildly.

Linda~*
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Are you sure it could be her? These books are old - signed in late 1960s, I'd say. Is this "Sheilagh R___" meaning the seller is protectinh her family name, or it's signed just to Sheilagh R?

Yes, Dem, you're right. Particularly with former manager involved. Maybe Spector never saw the book actually.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Actually, although I don't have nothing against signed books (although the problem are not people selling it, but people willing to give 200 $ for something which was bought with obviously bad intention from Indigo for 15 $), I don't understand signed books with other people's names. I can buy, let's say, Book of Mercy with "Leonard Cohen, 1985" written inside, but what would I do with "For David, May 1985" or particularly with "For Sheilagh R, from Leonard". It is simply outrageous and I feel embarassed instead of those people, or because their family sold the book after owners' deaths (what's understandable, but also sad).
Tony

Post by Tony »

It seems somewhat ironic that most of the discussion of this book has centred around its resale rather than on the question of its quality.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Well, this is the topic about resale. And few people got the book. It's released yesterday on Amazon finally (US edition), so I guess people could buy it more easily now. They shipped mine copy (while I still ait for the M&S edition to arrive) just three hours after I ordered it, so it will be here in a week time:-)
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

. Is this "Sheilagh R___" meaning the seller is protectinh her family name, or it's signed just to Sheilagh R?
Well, it's hard to say. It was a 'guess' on my part, and I admit, I could be wrong. However, I do know that she spells her name (first name) as it appears, and she's been in journalism for a long time. I would guess that the R_____ would be to protect the the family name. Sounds like I'm doing a lot of 'guessing', doesn't it. No matter who it is, I feel sorry for them to have to sell that 'treasure' as Laurie called it. I have a signed CD, and to me, it is a treasure. Also, it says 'Dear Linda', now, how on earth could a girl sell that ??? (I can't help but brag about my little autograph, now that it's become a topic). :D

Linda.
LaurieAK

Post by LaurieAK »

When I saw that listing ABE the other day, I thought the spelling of "Sheilagh" was very unusual. Maybe it is more common outside the U.S.?

I bet if one were inclined to ask, the seller would admit to the last name, if anyone is that inclined...

Anyways, my Book of Longing finally showed up from amazon.com this morning. My thirst is finally quenched.

Laurie
p.s. Linda what a great treasure you have. Not just "Linda" but "Dear Linda." sigh. 8)
Baldwyn

Post by Baldwyn »

Wow, those ABE listings are very cool. I'd have trouble buying an autograph dedicated to someone else of course, to know that it didn't mean enough to them. But then again, I love the image of Leonard writing something to Phil in jest? Sarcasm? And then Phil dumping it because it doesn't mean anything to him.

Anyways. I bought the third book of longing off of Ebay. But now I have the peace of mind of no longer longing for a book of longing.

"I wrote for love
Then I wrote for money
With someone like me
it is the same thing."
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Ha! By the time I get my copy in the mail, all the poems will have already written here. :)
"I wrote for love
Then I wrote for money
With someone like me
it is the same thing."
I find this interesting, as a non-poet. He uses the word 'with' in the line 'with someone like me'. Most people would 'say' 'for' someone like me. It's interesting on other levels as well. 8)
[Baldwyn]

Post by [Baldwyn] »

oops, one error on my part:
"I wrote for love
Then I wrote for money
With someone like me
it's the same thing."

And it's indicated that this was written in 1975.

Nice pick-up, Linda, I didn't think of that! I can see what you mean, and why it's interesting on other levels. Now you have me envisioning the page, handwritten, with that one edit.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"I wrote for love
Then I wrote for money
With someone like me
it's the same thing."
Yes ~ This could be viewed for justification on several fronts. The way I see it is that Leonard writes for love of the word, for the need to write; whether money is generated or not, he will continue to write for the love of the word. It's the same thing. The outcome will be the same level of and 'motivation' [love of the] writing, regardless.

~ Lizzy
lightning

Post by lightning »

I thought it meant he loved money. Lots of people do. It's a form of love, isn't it?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Perhaps, that's what he meant, Lightning. However, I read it as: Leonard loves to write and feels compelled to express himself in words, and will continue to do so, in the same manner, with the nature of the writing and the internal motivation for doing it [from the heart] remain and will remain the same, whether it generates money or not.

~ Lizzy
Baldwyn

Post by Baldwyn »

Perhaps, that's what he meant, Lightning. However, I read it as: Leonard loves to write and feels compelled to express himself in words, and will continue to do so, in the same manner, with the nature of the writing and the internal motivation for doing it [from the heart] remain and will remain the same, whether it generates money or not.
Huh. I never thought about that, and after Linda's comment, I was thinking more about the poem, and this didn't even cross our mind! Perhaps this viewpoint comes from knowing Leonard's driving need to blacken the page, and his work ethic. With that in mind, what you're saying makes sense; writing for love, and writing for money are the same thing with him.

I was thinking along the same lines as Lightning. Only it wasn't that he loved money, but that love and money were the same thing in that context. Linda's comment had me thinking that his use of the word "with" the poem can also be viewed to mean _being_ with Leonard in love or for money is the same thing.

Then again, he may have just wrote the poem as a joke (I believe this viewpoint the most)[/quote]
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

And therein lies the beauty of Leonard's work. Interpretation, and point of view. We can pick just about any song/poem of Leonard's and have different opinions on what it might mean. On some days it might 'mean' one thing to us, on another, we might view it differently.

It may be the same for Leonard. He may write with a particular focus in mind, then later, the song can be reincarnated (so to speak). He's often made contradictory statements regarding his work. Seen from a distance, and with hindsight, sometimes things take on a different 'look'. Whatever the case, he keeps us talking, guessing and embracing his work for all the facets it contains.

Return to “Book of Longing”