Football World Cup 2006

The Berlin Event - before and after
Henning

Post by Henning »

Today in a month is kick-off time. Potential new Champions: Argentine, Brasil, France, England, Mexico, Czech Republik, Holland and Portugal. Trying to be a gentle host is all that Germany can add to this competition this year. But it was Gary Linneker, England, who once said that football is a game where 22 men are hunting a ball and in the end Germany wins. So there is always hope.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Today the tournament starts with the match between Germany and Costa Rica. Remember: 32 teams are fighting in this competition to find a new world champion. There is a very small chance that England is doing better than Germany this year, in this case I won't be in Berlin in August but I will great you from the monastery.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: My, you folks do take this seriously, don't you!?!

~ Lizzy
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

http://www.shankly.com/lifeanddeath.htm

p.
(who is very kindly not going to mention the 2 goals scored by Costa Rica against a woeful defence)
Henning

Post by Henning »

A decent start for Germany with a 4-2 win against Costa Rica.

While watching the game today, Elke suddenly started to talk about life and death, but I wasn't listening much to her. But she went on and on then I thought I could stop her with a remark of mine.

I told her, "Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."

She promptly got up, unplugged the TV and threw out all my beer.

The next match I definitely will watch in some lonely pub.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Great joke, Henning :lol: ... unless this is not the same Elke I know :wink: ... or there's another side to her I have yet to witness :o . "Still waters run deep"... or was it "Still waters run turbulent" :) ?

~ Lizzy
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Lizzy

Don't forget Schadenfreude – humour that comes from the misfortunes of others – is a German invention.

A fellow countryman of yours, Mark Twain, once said 'German humour is no laughing matter'.

To prove old Marky's point here are two German jokes that appeared in the British press recently

Knock, knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“The police. I’m afraid there’s been an accident. Your husband is in hospital. ”

Or: “A man walks into a pub. He is an alcoholic whose drink problem is destroying his family.”

Strange for an Englishman to say but I've always found the German sense of humour wonderful, and have always shared their appreciation of Schadenfreude.

I guess I must have some German blood in me.

Hope this goes a little way in explaining Henning's post:-)

Ta Ken
Henning

Post by Henning »

Ken,

I didn't get these jokes, did you leave out parts ouf it ? Occasionally you find some Schadenfreude in "Fawlty Towers" oder is it all about Schadenfreude ? Maybe that's why I love it so much.

I hope to consume more of that Schadenfreude today :-)

Allez les Paraquayos !
Wybe
Site Admin

Orange in Berlin

Post by Wybe »

The finals are in Berlin, we are preparing the city.

http://www.niederlandeweb.de/de/content ... 1149282798

Wybe
HOLLAND
Tony

Post by Tony »

Is schadenfreude a result of over an overindulgence in sturm and drang? Or is it simply a case of absorbing too much zeitgeist?
Anne

Post by Anne »

It has to be a result of all the angst. Or the dachshunds. And the dobermanns.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, that makes me feel better, Henning... that you were left a bit at a loss with those two jokes that Ken posted, too. I wondered how could I have gotten Henning's and found it funny, yet in having Henning's explained, I didn't get the examples given to help me :shock: :? :shock: .

Well, I feel better now :) . Thanks for your help, Ken :wink: .

~ Lizzy
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Lizzy

I have to admit that the two German jokes I quoted were very extreme examples of the genre.

Germans know the problem with German humour. They make fun of it in their TV adverts.
In one, a young blond man walks on stage in a dimly lit comedy club. He walks up to the microphone and says in a dull German accent: “Good evening, ladies and gents, I just flew in from Berlin. And, boy, are my arms tired.” Silence. He flaps his arms like a bird. More silence. As he prepares to continue, the voice-over intervenes, sparing the audience any more of his routine. “Germans don’t do comedy,” says the voice-over. “They do beer.”
It was an advert for Beck’s.

If you find that funny then welcome aboard the good ship ‘Schadenfreude’.

Among the the many great things that Germany has given to the world are the BMW, Claudia Schiffer, the cigarette lighter, Werner Herzog, the Thermos flask, binoculars, the Heimat TV series, spark plugs, decaffeinated coffee, and the collapsible umberella, but best of all they gave us Schadenfreude.

Ta Ken
Henning

Post by Henning »

I do fear the worst - England is going the old German way - in an uninspired, boring match they beat Parayquay by an own goal in the third minute. Everybody knows that this stragedy leads to the final. Germany might fail with this newly discovered happy hour football shortly after the group matches. But there are parties all around, the sun is out for good and people from other countries love to be here. Let's hope that it remains a peaceful tournament.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Well, Ken, Schadenfreude or not, that one has me laughing out loud... not because of the flying in [I've heard that one], but the one-two timing punch of the "Germans don't do comedy. They do beer." Of course, as German beers that are available here, Becks Dark is my favourite, so that didn't hurt any, either :wink: .

So, is this to say that Freud was a joke... one that came from the misfortunes of others? [We won't take that comment too far into literal land :wink: ~ the comment itself, or the overall of it, may already be an old joke :roll: in Germany.]

I forgot to comment that I liked the structure of Twain's comment.

Your first two, extreme examples... and I finally got the knock-knock one... remind me of the one joke I've been able to remember since 7th grade ~ "Ask me if I'm a truck." "Okay. Are you a truck?" "No." I think that's in the Idiofreude category :roll: :wink: .

My understanding on the decaffeinated gift is that arsenic is used in the processing. That may be an old wives' tale, of course, but I know that since hearing it, most times I've opted for the caffeine.

Now that I'm fully into the spirit of the joke style, I just reread and got the pub joke, too. Kind of a deadly form of humour, isn't it?

Thanks for your continued efforts in this, Ken :wink: .

~ Lizzy :D

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”