Contribute to the Liverpool 800 Poems Site

This section is for any other poetry-related topics
Christopher T. George

Contribute to the Liverpool 800 Poems Site

Post by Christopher T. George »

Hi all

There is a Liverpool 800 Poems site which is looking for 800 poems to celebrate the city's 800th birthday. They are almost an eighth of the way there and I have had several poems accepted. George Wallace, Clare Kirwan and Roger Cliffe-Thompson are among the name poets who have also contributed.

Do you like the Beatles or have you been to Liverpool, want to write something about its history, or even just fantasize about it?

The Liverpool 800 site is at http://www.poem800.com/ -- go the poems page, picture of the Liver Building. The coloured squares have poems that have been accepted, the white squares are available for you to add a poem. Good luck.

Chris
jimbo

Re: Contribute to the Liverpool 800 Poems Site

Post by jimbo »

thanks for thi s Chris my mother was born in bootle liverpool.ill have a go
love is not forgotten......
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

I've had poems accepted.
There is now a limit of four poems per entrant.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
sulis

Post by sulis »

interesting, though the stuff I wrote is hardly fit for human consumption........

I wrote a load of stuff down after travelling to Liverpool last December to see Echo and the Bunnymen. It was a lovely place and I had a look around the dock area which has the best museums anywhere that I have seen. Echo and the Bunnymen were brilliant, Liverpool people are far friendlier than southerners and people actually spoke to me on many occasions, this doesn't happen in the south at all, nobody exchanges thoughts to strangers. Yet I was carrying around this overwhelmingly tangible bell jar sensation (and needing to listen to Leonard Cohen albums like Songs from a Room to get to sleep maybe because I did that in my teens and it was like going back). After a day sailing across the Mersey, wandering round the museums and listening to the wonderful Ian McCulloch singing I did manage to get hypnagogic images before falling asleep, something I haven't been able to do for years. Actually, after listening millions of times over to the most recent Echo and the Bunnymen album, "Siberia", their lyrics echoed a lot of what I had written and what I was feeling. I think it was this bit of "In the Margins" that got to me,

"I need to sleep now
I need dream how
I used to dream"

Liverpool people are better at putting things into words than anyone else. Is it something in the water that they managed to produce both John Lennon and Ian McCulloch?
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

This link will take you to several poets, actors, film directors, musicians etc., who hail from Liverpool. (or should that be Hale? as in Hale Hall on the outskirts) A couple of them made their home there too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/culture/ ... ndex.shtml
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Christopher T. George

Post by Christopher T. George »

Hello Everyone

An update. I am presently heavily involved both in myself contributing poems in honor of the 800-year history of my native city of Liverpool, as well as helping behind the scenes in terms of proofreading and fact checking.

Organizers Roger Cliffe-Thompson and Billy Moon report that they presently have 523 poems collected so far with 277 to go to meet the target of 800 for the city's 800th anniversary on August 28.

To hear an interview with Roger and Billy go to Radio Merseyside Interview .

New Jersey poet Laurie Byro and New Yorker George Wallace are among the poets who have contributed to the project. If you are interested in contributing a poem, go to http://www.poem800.com/ .

There are also talks underway to have a possible Liverpool - New York video or podcast link to celebrate the Liverpool anniversary and the links between the two cities. If things work out as planned, simultaneous readings will take place in New York and Liverpool later this year. Watch this space. Image

All the best

Chris George

Christopher T. George
http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Chris, could you please explain the photo (is it Liverpool?).
damellon

Post by damellon »

Blonde Madonna
Could you please explain your photo?
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

damellon please go back to the burlesque poem strand and I will explain there.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . 277 to go to meet the target of 800 for the city's 800th anniversary on August 28.
That's not much time to gather that many to meet the quota! I hope they don't end up compromising on quality just to make their numbers :? .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Byron

Post by Byron »

It's a Liver Bird.
If the birds ever escape from the top of the Royal Liver Buildings (where I used to work) it will mean that some people believe there were will be a wailing and crying and gnashing of teeth, or something like that.
They are an ancient emblem of the city and like most ancient emblems, lots of theories abound as to their origin. What they are, why they are, how they are, when they are, are all questions asked by people who have an odd moment or two to while away some time.
The sculptures sit atop the Royal Liver Building which is on the River Mersey waterfront. In the UK, most people associate Liverpool with pictures of the Liver Birds. Tower Bridge in London is recognised all around the world. The Empire State Building, Eiffel Tower, Pyramids, Petra etc., are similarly known and people can say where they are. The Liver Birds are not as well known outside the UK.
The sculptures are huge. When I worked in the building I got on well with the maintenance staff and was lucky enough to be allowed onto the roof to see the birds and to enjoy the fabulous view of Liverpool from the high vantage point. The wires/cables are to keep the sculptures from falling in gale force winds. Being on the waterfront, the winds coming in from the Irish Sea are very strong.

Here's a quick link...
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... -BR-1.html
damellon

Post by damellon »

Byron - what a lovely post for those of us brought up in the UK. Thought you were talking about the TV programme - a big favourite in our house when we were growing up. Interesting to find out it was based on the Royal Liver. Never knew that. You are a mine of information. What happened to the 40 days of fasting? and was there abstinence in that mix too? Have thought about submitting a poem - must it have an obvious Liverpool connection? After Lizzy's comment maybe any others will feel like they're making up the numbers! Take care.
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I sure didn't mean to jade the lily, Damellon, but that's an average of 15 poems a day they need to accept for inclusion, and that doesn't allow for time at the printer's. I can't imagine that they'd really compromise at this point with their project; but I'll bet they've put out an APB to garner more entrants. The time is flying.

Yes, that really is great information on the Liver Bird :D ! Thanks, Byron 8) . At first, I thought he was explaining Madonna's picture... which [ahem] she's not done yet; but a little ways into it, I realized, this is NOT about that little white rat! OR ferret.

I hope you WILL submit one, Damellon. I have a feeling you could come up with a delightful one in fairly short order.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
damellon

Post by damellon »

Thank you Lizzy - as always, generous in your encouragement. Might just!
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

They seem to have given quite a bit of latitude on topic matter and approach. I suspect some of that understated, or subtly outrageous, Brit humour would be right in order. As I said, I hope you will submit!

[Note the mantra'ing that goes something like this: you will submit, you will submit... ]

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Other Writers and Writing”