Howl - Allen Ginsberg

This section is for any other poetry-related topics
Cate

Howl - Allen Ginsberg

Postby Cate » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:54 pm

I started to watch the movie Howl last night. I'm not quite half-way through but I'm really enjoying the visuals that accompany the poem.

From youtube Howl
"Howl" is a poem written by Allen Ginsberg in 1955. The poem is considered to be one of the great works of the Beat Generation. "Howl" was originally written as a performance piece, but it was later published by poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti of City Lights Books. The poem was originally considered to be obscene, and Ferlinghetti was arrested and charged with its publication. On October 3, 1957, Judge Clayton W. Horn ruled that the poem was not obscene!
Animation is by Eric Drooker.

I

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz, ...
'to the starry dynamo in the machinery of the night' - you have to love that!!!
fishfishquaileye

Re: Howl - Allen Ginsberg

Postby fishfishquaileye » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:29 am

Howl is just superb. Have you ever seen Ginsberg in the film of the Chicago Seven Conspiracy trial, him testifying for the defense ? Antiwar activists were charged with “conspiracy to cross state lines to promote a riot.” The film is amazing as defendants are gagged and bound, the Judge is called a fascist, the courtroom is flashed (my favoruite part, obviously) , all riveting.
Cate

Postby Cate » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:47 pm

I finished the 'howl' movie early this morning ... fuck ... what a good movie. I see the poem so differently now.
Have you ever seen Ginsberg in the film of the Chicago Seven Conspiracy trial, him testifying for the defense ?
No, but it was an eye opener looking for a clip of it. Do you remember the name of the film - was it Chicago 8 (there's 2 of them) or something else.
I did find a cool clip of Ginsburg sitting while one of his poems is recited - he comes out at 3:10. I did see an add for a documentary style film that I'd also like to see - 'Chicago 10'. I just need to find where I can view or download it.
fishfishquaileye

Postby fishfishquaileye » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:01 pm

here's a link to the Homepage http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f ... cago7.html I havent searched for the film yet.

tiny bit of search just now reminds me it started as Chicago 8 and then Bobby Seale was severed.

As I read the trial transcripts from that Home Page, on closing Defense speech at moment , it seems a million years ago, but full of love and hope. Ginsberg and Judy Collins were star acts, get that film!!
Cate

Postby Cate » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:28 pm

it seems a million years ago, but full of love and hope
very true
… And then I chanted the Hare Krishna for ten minutes to the television cameras, and it goes:
Hare krishna/hare krishna/krishna krishna/hare hare/hare rama/hare rama/rama rama/hare hare.
MR. WEINGLASS: Now in chanting that did you have all accompaniment of any particular instrument? Your Honor, I object to the laughter of the Court on this. I think this is a serious presentation of a religious concept.
THE COURT: I don't understand. I don't understand it because it was---the language of the United States District Court is English.
M R. KUNSTLER: I know, but you don't laugh at all languages.
THE COURT: I didn't laugh. I didn't laugh.
THE WITNESS: I would be happy to explain it.
THE COURT: I didn't laugh at all. I wish I could tell you how I feel.
Laugh---I didn't even smile.
MR. KUNSTLER: Well, I thought---
THE COURT: All I could tell you is that I didn't understand it because whatever language the witness is using---
THE WITNESS: Sanskrit, sir.
THE COURT: Well, that is one I don't know. That is the reason I didn't understand it.
THE WITNESS: Might we go on to in explanation?
THE COURT: Will you keep quiet, Mr. Witness, while I am talking to the lawyers?
THE WITNESS: I will be glad to give an explanation.
THE COURT: I never laugh at a witness, sir. I protect witnesses who come to this court. But I do tell you that the language of the American court is English unless you have all interpreter. You may use an interpreter for the remainder of the witness' testimony.
haha – what was happening with the judge, was he having some kind of crisis, melt down. He keeps saying ‘I didn’t laugh’ and then suggests an interpreter for the witness (lol).

Return to “Other Writers and Writing”