Geoffey, how about that idiot?

This section is for any other poetry-related topics
lazariuk

Geoffey, how about that idiot?

Post by lazariuk »

Dostoyevsky said of his idiot
the idiot is so morbidly proud that he can't help considering himself a god, and yet at the same time he respects himself so little that he can't help despising himself violently. He feels that his wish to revenge himself blindly on everyone is base, and yet he does it - he commits all sorts of wicked acts and revenges himself - he feels that there is no reason why he should not revenge himself on people because he is just like anyone else and he should therefore rest content, but since because of his boundless vanity and at the same time his passion for truth he demands more from everyone, all this is not enough for him - he has absorbed all these poisons and principles, which become part of his nature, from his environment and his upbringing. A man who has always been humiliated and insulted usually possesses infinite generosity and love, but he does not possess them and, therefore, he commits acts of wickedness against, and revenges himself on, those he would have liked to love and for whom he would have gladly shed his blood. Insted of useful activity - wrong doing. His hopes for the future: I shall become a banker, A King of the Jews, and I shall trample them all underfoot and keep them in chains- either to lord over everyone like a tyrant or die for everyone on a cross - that is the only thing that I think a man of my nature is capable of, for I do not want to drag out a useless existence till i am old and worn out.
Do you think Geoffrey that Dostoyevsky gave an accurate description of the idiot, of himself? You mentioned that you had an interest in Dostoyevsky and I thought you might be interested in discussing this.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.

Return to “Other Writers and Writing”