Artists similar to Leonard Cohen

This section is for all other music-related topics
John Etherington

Re: Artists similar to Leonard Cohen

Post by John Etherington »

I posted quite a long post on the first page on this thread in 2004, and have just seen it for the first time in about 13 years! I've just noticed that about six years ago (in 2011), on page 4 of this thread, someone called "abrahammaslow" has repeated my earlier post word for word under their own pseudonym!

***That page 4 copy deleted by Jarkko***
Diane

Post by Diane »

A good thread to re-surface, John.

Here is an artist I have already enthused about elsewhere. He is certainly dissimilar to LC in style and content, but I feel similar in message: Ludovico Einaudi. Maybe it's just because I listen to LC and LE interchangeably.

See this track, Waterways, from the In A Time Lapse album. He begins with a heart beat to set the bass line, or 'borderline', and carries forward into a mini-orchestral reprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHNVIwkArs
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Thanks, Diane, that's quite amazing.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Glad you think so, Hartmut.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Jennifer Berezan - In These Arms, A song for all Beings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPTHstpJ2I
Lewisnjeffrey

Post by Lewisnjeffrey »

If you wnat depth and poetry, then try Joustene Lorenz. She's joustene.bandcamp.com. also on spotify and other streaming services. Plus a few YouTube samples.
Last edited by Lewisnjeffrey on Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
RattleBone

Post by RattleBone »

I found this message board looking precisely for suggestions for artists similar to LC and thanks to you lovely folks I've just found a few pearls (and have a long playlist for the week ahead to get through), thank you!

It's only fair that I give back by suggesting a few musicians I've come across that haven't been mentioned I both really enjoy and feel picked up LC's torch somehow. In no particular order:

Paul Bidault
John Prine
Jake Labotz
Andea Lazlo di simone (in italian)
Lewisnjeffrey

Post by Lewisnjeffrey »

Every day I miss Leonard Cohen and his poetic-musical brilliance. I don't think there's anyone who compares. Maybe Dylan at his best. A few others—John Darnielle, Ben Gibberd and Joustene Lorenz. Of all of them, Joustene is the most beguiling. She is an expansive songwriter who has been strongly influenced byLeonard. At least inasmuch as she aspires to Leonard's poetic depth. I don't know much about her beyond the songs which I found at Joustene.bandcamp.com. There are a few snippets on Youtube. What I really like about her is the confluence of wit, sensibility, intensity and vulnerability. The fact that she hasn't been 'discovered' or 'gone viral' is, I think, a testament to the integrity of her music. I can only thank her for taking up the some of the space that Leonard has left behind. :roll:
Donnyy

Post by Donnyy »

Lewisnjeffrey wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:30 am Every day I miss Leonard Cohen and his poetic-musical brilliance. I don't think there's anyone who compares. Maybe Dylan at his best. A few others—John Darnielle, Ben Gibberd and Joustene Lorenz. Of all of them, Joustene is the most beguiling. She is an expansive songwriter who has been strongly influenced byLeonard. At least inasmuch as she aspires to Leonard's poetic depth. I don't know much about her beyond the songs which I found at Joustene.bandcamp.com. There are a few snippets on Youtube. What I really like about her is the confluence of wit, sensibility, intensity and vulnerability. The fact that she hasn't been 'discovered' or 'gone viral' is, I think, a testament to the integrity of her music. I can only thank her for taking up the some of the space that Leonard has left behind. :roll:
How is it possible that I haven't heard about Joustene Lorenz?.. Glad to know about this musician

Return to “Other music”