Ai Phoenix

This section is for all other music-related topics
tomsakic

Ai Phoenix

Postby tomsakic » Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:43 pm

Ai Phoenix is new band I discovered, and their album is called "And they will that way forever". As they played "americana" (Glitterhouse Records) I wonder is that the actual line from Suzanne - something to look for. there's nothing in CD and they don't have the site.
Anybody knows something?
As most of so called "americana" or alt.country music, they're from Scandinavia.
(or it is just him?)
Kush

Postby Kush » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:43 am

"Americana" singer-songwriter Tom Russell's latest album 'Modern Art' (released 2 days ago) is dedicated to Modern Artists where he lists a diverse group of people including Leonard Cohen, bob Dylan, Muhammad Ali, Mickey Mantle, Edith Piaf, Billie Holliday, Stephen Foster (whom he calls America's first great songwriter) Jack Kerouac, Charles Bukowski, Graham Greene etc etc. BTW, Perla Batalla sang background vocals on Russell's last album 'Borderland'. Strongly recommend both albums...although I'm still getting into the latest one.

Tom...all the "americana" artistes I know come from or are influenced by the Austin music scene. Write to me if you want a sampling of american "americana" artistes.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:53 pm

I have some favourites like The Walkabouts, recently discovered Mark Lanegan... I will look around, Kush, and let you know about your nice offer!
About Ai Phoenix, I can now defined them as something beetwen Belle&Sebastian and Turin Brakes at the moments... not so sure how much are they "americana"... like 16 Horsepower are, e.g. Recently I discovered they covered Teachers!
Anyway, when we come to American music, I still prefer Jennifer Warnes' The Well. Masterpiece. Is that good example of music which is deeo in American roots? I feel it like that... Tom
Kush

Postby Kush » Thu May 01, 2003 2:52 am

Tom....if you believe Jennifer Warnes The Well is "Americana" then it is so. i havent heard it myself but typically I would not describe her as that but it is really up to each individual how we perceive the music. Actually I think this type of classification is partly media-created and hyped for the pseudo-sophisticated consumer consumption. recently, there has been a movement towards "Americana" or "Roots" music here that is based on and/or derived from traditional blues, folk and country. Indeed Dylan's latest album "Love & Theft" has been described as "Americana".

You are very welcome....always happy to share the music I love around.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Fri May 02, 2003 2:48 pm

Kush,
I went thru my CDs and CDs I am listening (I am workin in small indie shop, just like in Hi-Fi), and they are mostly from the US. Of course, the favourites are people like Calexico, or Lucinda Williams... Maybe some kind of suggestion in form of list of names - can you post me in private message, so that I can compare it with names that are circulating here? :D
As for J-Warnes, allmusic.com says it's her excellent indie record - the firts one on which she controlled totally her art, and that's why it's independent production. But I agree with you on classification topic.
As for Dylan, they really said that his last album was good because he went toward more recent "americana" style. But anyway, I can find "americana" unbelievably boring, like Bonnie Prince Billy (aka will Oldham). If I want to hear something like that, and better, I always can listen Songs From A Room. Artists like Lucinda or Calexico or Ryan Adams or Yo La Tengo are always better choice... :shock:
Kush

Postby Kush » Tue May 06, 2003 6:06 pm

Tom,
It is my experience that when I first hear a new musical style they all sound the same and boring. If I persevere then more often than not, the underlying subtle variations are revealed and I am able to appreciate it more. This past weekend I was at the New Orleans JazzFest and it was a whole new experience in hearing southern jazz, blues, zydeco, gospel, reggae, bluegrass, swing etc etc. Dylan was one of the many superb acts at the festival but I had to miss his show due to unavoidable circumstances (anyway, I've heard him often enough & I was more interested in the local artistes). I believe he gave a very bluesy performance with himself mostly on piano. His latest album i think is truly outstanding although it took me awhile to get into. The music and lyrics in it are rootsy, americana and delightfully unsophisticated. But if you are looking for deeply philosophical ruminations about the meaning of life you will be disappointed. There are none. Consider:

My grandfather was a duck trapper
He could do it with just dragnets and ropes
My grandmother could sew new dresses out of old cloth
I don't know if they had any dreams or hopes
- from 'Floater'

and my personal favorite from Tweedledee and Tweedledum which is s'posed to be about George Bush and Al Gore during the last election.

Brains in a pot beginning to boil
They are dripping with garlic and olive oil

Also, there is a new tribute album - that I found at the festival - 'Gotta Serve Somebody-The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan' by many gospel singers from the south. It is absolutely fantastic and very very "americana".
LC had mentioned in an interview that many people criticized Dylan when he went through the gospel phase but he had also written some of the finest gospel songs ever. I now believe it.
I will send you a private message soon.
Last edited by Kush on Thu May 08, 2003 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue May 06, 2003 8:09 pm

Well, thanks for the segue, Kush. The owner of the natural pet food store [Earth Pets], where I buy my pets' food, did see Dylan [a fact, which I'd intended to bring to the Forum] at the Jazz Festival. He said he was awesome; performed for 90 minutes; played a wide variety from all eras; had incredible energy; and often played the keyboards with his left hand, while playing the harmonica with his right. He also saw Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and Big John. He was there for 4 days, and said there was no way he could've survived all 12 :wink: . I was there once in the early 80s and loved it. Hearing about Dylan, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and Big John....I wish I could've been there this year. In the store, of course, I was hearing cd's of some of the excellent, local artistes to which you refer. I'm also glad to hear that persistence played out well with Dylan's latest....I still haven't been motivated enough to listen to it a second time. I'll hold onto it and surely I will.
Kush

Postby Kush » Wed May 07, 2003 1:14 am

Well Lizzytysh....say hi to your natural pet food store owner for me. The festival was over 2 weekends (6 days) not 12 days and I could only be there for the 2nd one. What can I say ? I was there lying on the grass in T-shirt, shorts and straw hat with beer, friends, music and blue sky above. Not to mention the exquisite cajun cuisine. And now I am back in Long Island and it's cold and wet and I have to work. That's the way it goes.
I'm sure you will hear Dylan's latest when the time is right. One cannot appreciate music on assignment. I never thought I would be listening to southern gospel but now I am.
margaret

Postby margaret » Wed May 07, 2003 1:41 am

It's amazing how many different kinds of music we begin to appreciate as time goes on. When I was younger I never expected to enjoy opera, but I do now, and I've just found out that Pavarotti is appearing quite close by in July. Can't afford the indoor ticket price but hope to get seats in the picnic space outside. I still enjoy Dylan as well, along with lots of other artists.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed May 07, 2003 4:42 am

:lol: ~ looks like he had all he could do to survive his 4 then. I stunned him when I asked what the dates were. Expected a quick April whatever thru April whatever....and he pondered it so long, with me standing with a huge bag of pet food in my arms, I wished I hadn't asked. He never did come up with it, and finally just [obviously :lol: ] threw out the time frames, noting how long he'd been there. Yes, he raaaaaved about the food, as well, now that you mention it. I will, in fact, tell him you said hello :wink: from Long Island. Yes, after a longtime relationship with Dylan, giving myself an assignment isn't the way to go. Everything in its own time.
Kush

Postby Kush » Wed May 07, 2003 5:47 pm

Well....it seems I was wrong too. It was 8 days (two long weekends thurs through sunday). I was there the 2nd weekend fri-sunday. Glad we got that figured out :lol:
Henning

Postby Henning » Tue May 13, 2003 5:39 pm

hey Tom,

thanks a lot for mentioning my favorite band the Walkabouts in here. Also AI Phoenix, Calexico and Lucinda Williams are on my list of favorite artists. I am going to see the Lucinda show today and on Friday.

BUT: I totally disagree with you about Will Oldham aka Bonnie Prince Billy !

He definitely is the new Cohen, the new Messias so to say. His last three albums revealed his outstanding songwriting and feeling for tunes.

So folks, go and listen to Bonnie Prince Billy. You'll be happy afterwards. You want to lean that way forever.

H.
Henning

Postby Henning » Tue May 13, 2003 5:42 pm

Sorry, but I forgot to ask:

Elvis, where did you go ?

H.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Thu May 15, 2003 12:09 pm

Hi Henning,
I agree Will is great, but I simply cannot give him so much time while listening. The truth is that his live act is about five times stronger and louder and - to me - better, he sounds almost like Ryan Adams... I wasn't at Zagreb concert, but I have recording from Ljubljana, Slovenia; great!
Enjoy Lucinda... Lucky you!!! Why she doesn't have big European tour?!
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Fri May 16, 2003 1:05 pm

by the way, I really enjoyed your "Wisdom", Henning, it's just great! I cannot said how much I liked it! When I heard it, I said to myself - it's like Mercury Rev, this man knows how contemporary music sounds... I mean, many artists do Cohen like 1960s style still, this is how would Cohen sounds if he has 25 years now...
But I didn't find the album - is it just one song still? When can we expect more? Really, I think it's extraordinary... Visit my bootleg list, here under is my URL :D

Return to “Other music”