Kristofferson has learned the Leonard Cohen trick...

This section is for all other music-related topics
Dem

Kristofferson has learned the Leonard Cohen trick...

Post by Dem »

...working with producer Don Was, Kristofferson has learned the Leonard Cohen trick of intimacy, taking a limited vocal range and turning it into characterization instead of vocalization...
Full article here:
http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/20/feat ... ory07.html

Dem
Last edited by Dem on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Of course, you can learn all the Leonard tricks you want... it still won't make you Leonard. This does sound worth listening to, however. A super photo of Kris 8) . Much healthier than at the Chelsea :D .

~ Lizzy
Bob Parkins

Post by Bob Parkins »

Hmmm. I'd say they both discovered that "trick" around the same time, in the mid to late 60s. Cohen's Songs and Kristofferson's first two albums appeared within a few years of each other. What was astonishing about both of them from the get-go was their ability to supply the raw material that lets you make little movies in your mind. KK is I suppose more linear about it, but it comes to the same thing -- in Jody and the Kid, for example -- enough information in about 12 lines to make an HBO series.

(Things that go round sure do come round. Some of y'all will surely recall heated discussions of KK/Cohen back on the newsgroup, around '97 or '98. And so it goes. . . .)
---

Parky

"In hindsight, the vandals regret having taken the handles."
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

And we all remember one of the hottest threads on this forum:-)

viewtopic.php?t=3483&highlight=kristofferson
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Now, there's an understatement, Tom... I was absent during that period and am just now seeing it for the first time, thanks to you. Right on into 10 pages. Reminds me of the war thread, and it seems to be a 'war' of its own.

Well said, Bob 8) :
. . . in Jody and the Kid, for example -- enough information in about 12 lines to make an HBO series.

~ Lizzy
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Yeah! I'm glad that thread is divided into pages. Otherwise I'd have to read all the way to the end and I'd still be there. I've bookmarked it though. I have an appointment with it later.

I'd say I don't know what I think of the new Kris yet...I loved the bits I heard before I bought it but have not fallen in love with it yet. I had planned to. I also haven't given it much of a chance yet.
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan »

I love his song "Blame it on the Stones." Kind of a sarcastic song to the tune of Bringing In The Sheaves. I like a lot of Kristofferson's stuff. I have some of it.
Kevin
Dem

Post by Dem »

Sorry I just realised that I gave the wrong quote.

It's corrected now.

Dem
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

In light of our recent discussion about producer who could work with Leonard, Don Was is maybe good idea, because it seems he did for Kristofferson the same thing some people are asking for Leonard. Particularly because he knows Leonard and he already worked with him - Don Was was the member of Was (Not Was).

Who By Fire: 13.2.1989 Sunday Night Live

Guitar, lead vocal: Leonard Cohen
Sax: Sonny Rollins
Back Vocals: Was (Not Was), Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen
Band: David Sanborn and his The Sunday Night Band

http://www.twoshakesofalambstail.com/st ... y_Fire.mp3

After this, Leonard returned with his guest vocal on Was (Not Was)' "Elvis' Rolls Royce" in 1990:-)

The connection was that Perla Batalla sang with Was (Not Was). So he got involved with them:-)

Another interesting thing - producer of David Sanborn show was - Hal Willner! And the host of course Jools Holland.
Dem

Post by Dem »

Thanks for that "Who By Fire" mp3 Tom
but is there any technical problem with
it or just low sound quality?

Dem
Kush

Post by Kush »

Heard the entire album at Borders. Its good and going back to his 70s style. So Iwouldnt say there are any new tricks at all. All the name-dropping is in just one song anyway.

I am not sure of this but isnt he the one who wrote those immortal lines ..."If you don't like Hank Williams, you can kiss my ass"
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan »

Yes, he most certainly did, Kush. And I completely agree with him.

"cause I think what we do is well worth doing,
and we're doing it the best way that we can,
You're the only one that you are screwin',
when you put down what you don't understand..."-If You Don't Like Hank Williams- Kristofferson.

Kevin

Return to “Other music”