Jacques Brel on BBC radio

This section is for all other music-related topics
lightning

Jacques Brel on BBC radio

Post by lightning » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:49 pm

A half hour program on Jacques Brel, his relationship or lack of it to the UK, with rare interviews with his widow in English, his primary biographer in English, his daughter in French with tranlation, and others came through BBC radio yesterday.
The show is called "20th Century Troubadour".
All who are interested can check out this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/musicfeature/pip/womdz/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:23 pm

That's great, Lightning. Thanks! I'll check it out.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:00 pm

So much for that good idea :( . My computer at work won't play RealPlayer, and this cannot be played with what I do have. I don't feel comfortable about downloading any capability onto this computer. Seems, somehow, like not the thing to do. But, the tiny blurb on this says that the Brits don't like "chanson" and the Belgians just don't care!?! What's that all about???

~ Lizzy
lightning

Post by lightning » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:49 am

Forward the link to someone with a computer which has Real Player or Windows media player installed. Most computers do. It's 1/2 hour show about Brel, his work, life, family, English cover versions, interviews etc. It's an interesting show and preface to Jacky for anyone who doesn't know him but would like to.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:13 am

Well, actually Windows Media Player is what I have, and it gave me a pop-up that it wouldn't play on that. I'm not sure who might have a computer there that would be different in that regard, but I'll check it out and see if I can find someone. I knew the basics of what it's about, I was just wondering about those two, particular items.
lightning

Post by lightning » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:10 pm

You can easily download a free Real Player Basic, version 8. Just go the thier website.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:15 pm

Yes, I was offered an option to download ~ but have concerns regarding doing that kind of thing on my workplace computer. What could the ramifications be? I'm not computer savvy enough to know. Might I somehow compromise the system, invite viruses :? ? I guess I'll query one of our on-site computer 'geeks' on that. For all I know, they may have done it long ago, and been enjoying it right along.
John K.

Post by John K. » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:00 pm

lizzytysh wrote:Yes, I was offered an option to download ~ but have concerns regarding doing that kind of thing on my workplace computer. What could the ramifications be? I'm not computer savvy enough to know. Might I somehow compromise the system, invite viruses :? ? I guess I'll query one of our on-site computer 'geeks' on that. For all I know, they may have done it long ago, and been enjoying it right along.
Most companies, mine included, have a policy forbidding the downloading of programs. I would recommend against it Lizzy, even though Real is a very legitimate product (I prefer it to WMP). Not worth the risk.
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:27 pm

I appreciate your feedback, John. That's the 'sense' I've had about it, somehow. Just an intuitive thing, I guess. Go with what's already there, per them, and forget the rest. Definitely "Not worth the risk"!

Lucky for her, Lightning hasn't had to deal with that 'corporate/bureaucratic' atmosphere on a day-to-day level. Some things you just have a 'sense' for, when you do.

~ Lizzy
jurica

Post by jurica » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:17 pm

i listened to the show twice. nice. i didn't know, however, that in GB tradition of chanson was so poor. it sounded as if it was under-underground movement only living in one club...

glad to report that Brel was often played, covered and mentioned in Croatia over the years. a friend of mine even issued the whole CD of Brel translated covers.
lightning

Post by lightning » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:38 pm

If you search for the UK band the Tiger Lillies whose lead singer songwriter is Martyn Jacques you will find great, if somewhat dark and bizarre, though often humourous, English chanson. He cites Jacques Brel as a primary influence. A great "find" for me.

http://www.tigerlillies.com/
jurica

Post by jurica » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:59 pm

wow, thanx. i threw a brief look at the website and they appear very, how do i put this?, well, sort of Francois Villon-ish. very cool.
lightning

Post by lightning » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:28 pm

Find their website search engine, type in "Crack of Doom" and see a live video from Irish T.V. Incredible!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:41 pm

So much for that one, too :( . Perhaps [even though I have no sound], I can install RealPlayer at home, and at least watch these, until I do have sound.

The group looks something akin to the "Clockwork Orange" fellows. It looks like that Marquis de Sade club must have been interesting :shock: from time to time.

~ Lizzy
sebmelmoth2003

Re: Jacques Brel on BBC radio

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:01 pm

programme repeated today - should be online imminently.

Brel et Moi: Alastair Campbell on Jacques Brel

Synopsis

Alastair Campbell, former director of communications for Tony Blair, reveals his little-known but lifelong passion for the music of Belgian singer/songwriter Jacques Brel.

Campbell happened across Brel's music during the time he spent hitchhiking across France as a student in the late 1970s, and has been hooked ever since. Now, over 30 years after Brel's death, Campbell travels to Paris to delve into the secrets of the singer's life and music. Though he is revered in France, Brel is still little known in Britain. With songs like Ne Me Quitte Pas he was willing to explore much deeper, darker emotions than most pop music. On stage, he was hugely popular for his intense, ferocious live performances. But behind his public image, he led a complicated personal life.

Campbell meets Brel's friends and family to find out more about the personality that produced his powerful, emotional music. The programme includes contributions from Brel's co-writer Jean Corti, journalist and author Olivier Todd and another Brel fanatic, comedian Mel Smith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d7nrz

Return to “Other music”