Tom Dooley

This section is for all other music-related topics
The Brucester

Tom Dooley

Postby The Brucester » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:31 am

BTW when Leonard Cohen talked about The Kingston Trio song "Tom Dooley" (who was sentenced to hang)
I remember saying to Leonard (at Beautys Restaurant)....

"There must've been a knock on Tom Dooley's prison cell an hour before his hanging. The warden asked....
=> "Who shall I say is calling? " (Leonard laughed: hahaha....what a memory that was)

Great Forum, Jarkko....and thank you, again, for keeping the flame burning !!! :D

- Brucester (Montreal, QC, Canada)

***This post and three more have been split from the magazine cover thread, to keep it on topic ;-) / Jarkko***
vlcoats

Re: Leonard on the cover - also contributions requested

Postby vlcoats » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:09 am

The Brucester wrote:BTW when Leonard Cohen talked about The Kingston Trio song "Tom Dooley" (who was sentenced to hang)
I remember saying to Leonard (at Beautys Restaurant)....

"There must've been a knock on Tom Dooley's prison cell an hour before his hanging. The warden asked....
=> "Who shall I say is calling? " (Leonard laughed: hahaha....what a memory that was)
I have always loved Tom Dooley. It was one of my dad's favorite songs and one he would sing in the car along with Strawberry Roan and a few others. Thank you for sharing the connection between Tom Dooley and Leonard. It made my evening.
Vickie
edited for typo...
The Brucester

Re: Leonard on the cover - also contributions requested

Postby The Brucester » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:44 am

You're very welcome, Vickie.
Thank you for your post.

Leonard Cohen was very much influenced by the Folk Music he listened to back in the late 50's (+ early 60's).
The Kingston Trio were the top album sellers of that time, having 5 of their LPs reach the #1 spot here in Canada as well as the United States.
(the Kingstons inspired other folk groups such as Peter, Paul & Mary, etc...)

For "ol' times sake"... and for your enjoyment, here's The Kingston Trio singing "Tom Dooley" on
Milton Berle's popular American TV show (1958) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zdE8bliGI

>>> ENCORE SELECTION <<<

"The Escape of Old John Webb" ~ from the LP: "String Along with The Kingston Trio" (1960) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMJSWWvBdzA

ENJOY !!! :D

vlcoats

Re: Tom Dooley

Postby vlcoats » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Thank you Brucester! All of this has me thinking of my dad's other favorites... The Limeliters and Roger Miller. One of the biggest regrets I have over not discovering Leonard until after he was already gone is that I was never able to ask my dad if he ever listened to him. Dad was a little younger than Leonard, but I like to think he would have appreciated his music and style.
Vickie
The Brucester

Re: Tom Dooley

Postby The Brucester » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:33 am

Thanks for your post, Vickie. Much appreciated.

Your Dad sounds like a great guy and I have no doubt whatsoever he would have appreciated the songs of Leonard Cohen: style + substance ~~~> most definitely !!!
I also like The Limeliters and Roger Miller :D

AND...AND...AND...

Since your Dad was a Kingston Trio fan, I would like to dedicate these 2 songs to him.
Both are sung as a solo by Bob Shane, who is now 85 years of age, and the last surviving member The Kingston Trio :

<> "It Was A Very Good Year" (1961)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r78bbwQtmI

(LP cover: Bob Shane + Dave Guard + Nick Reynolds)

<> "Try To Remember" (1968)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnbt3NwomHo

>>> Special thanks to Jim Moran for putting above video together as a tribute to Bob Shane <<<

Return to “Other music”