Origins of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb

This section is for all other music-related topics
its4inthemorning

Origins of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb

Post by its4inthemorning »

One of my favorite songs has always been "Comfortably Numb."

While wasting time--no strike that--while doing "research" on the internet, I came across a page that discusses how this song evolved and includes earlier versions including the first one. Here is the link:

http://www.openculture.com/2018/10/pink ... lmour.html

Enjoy if you are also a fan of "Comfortably Numb."

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Re: Origins of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb

Post by B4real »

4, I didn’t know how that song came about, so thanks. And I didn’t know you were into Pink Floyd or maybe it’s just that particular song :) With the exception of a few artists I tend to be attracted to select particular songs. I do like Comfortably Numb but my overall Pink Floyd favourites are Wish You Were Here and On The Turning Away, both of which I play on the violin. I’ve always known the story behind WYWH and with OTTA, I simply agree with the lyrics and love the melody - overall it's my very favourite Pink Floyd song - totally love the guitar solo at the end!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojf18wT_Xtk

And I’ve just remembered I still have an old cassette tape of Dark Side Of The Moon live. I don’t have any favourites on it but it must have been the thing to have at that time! I shall have to see if it will still play now :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
its4inthemorning

B4, I just viewed the 1-hour video on the story behind "Wish You Were Here," maybe that's what you referred to when you said you know that story. It was extremely well done. At the end Roger Waters, referring to the song WYWH, says something that paraphrases comments we all made on "Along the Way" while trying to interpret Leonard's lyrics. He says,

"People do attach lots of internal feelings that they may have and they may not be entirely sure what it's about, and neither am I, I mean, I'm only telling what it's about for me, but there's no reason why other people shouldn't put their own interpretations on it which could be just as valid."

I remember buying WYWH when it came out, it has always been one of my favorites. Played it so much it started to drive my roommates crazy. This album, sandwiched between DSOTM and the Wall, are one of the best rock trilogies I know of. I never paid much attention to earlier Pink Floyd, but just listened to "On the Turning Away" and even one listen tells me why it is a favorite of yours. Will need to listen to it more.

When you find a need for a brief hit of Pink Floyd, view their last set together in London on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/7KEW2hCNuHs?t=2

Would love to hear WYWH on your violin!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

4, I haven’t watched the video story of Wish You Were Here but it would for sure be the same as what I know in print. And yes, you are right about our comments on interpretation of songs in the Along thread. Without checking I think I posted Leonard saying his songs were empty and you can put what you want into them. He also likened them to ice cubes for the same reason.

Thanks for the London link, I’ve seen clips of it but not this length. And yeah, I’d also love to hear WYWH played again on my violin too …. or anything in fact that doesn’t offend my ear! Some time ago it was making a terrible sound so I replaced all the strings and it hasn’t fixed the problem. I think the terrible weather we’ve had here has changed the timbre of the wood. I’ve been putting off travelling 100 km to take it to the luthier but I will have to do it soon. I may have to buy a new one.

Ah, um, I went to play my tape cassette of Dark Side Of The Moon and embarrassingly discovered that I don’t and never did have it! Instead, the live album I have is a double tape of Delicate Sound of Thunder and on it I have Comfortably Numb, On The Turning Away, Wish You Were Here and more of their top songs! My excuse for getting it muddled is that I haven’t looked at my tapes for many years. Surprisingly, both tapes still play and sound right, unlike my violin!

PF-DSOT-1.jpg

PF-DSOT-2.jpg
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

If you don't already know, I thought you might be interested in this.
Maybe that song still won't leave you alone .... again ;-)

Pink Floyd Catalogue To Sell For A ‘Comfortably Numbing’ $680M

By Daniel Croft| 25 Aug 2022

https://www.channelnews.com.au/pink-flo ... bing-680m/
Pink Floyd’s back catalogue is being eyed up for a massive $680 million (£400 million) purchase by major player in the music rights industry Blackburn.

The band is one of the best-selling artists of all time, with an iconic catalogue including albums such Dark Side of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall. It is looking to sell both the master recordings and copyrights for £400 million. Blackburn would secure the deal through Hipgnosis Song Management (HSM), a company in which it owns a majority stake.

After purchasing HSM, the company established Hipgnosis Songs Capital, a 1.4 billion dollar ($1 billion USD) fund looking to purchase the back catalogues of major artists. So far, it now owns just under $500 million ($341 million USD) in back catalogues belonging to the likes of Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado and Leonard Cohen.

The purchase of the Pink Floyd catalogue could cost the company more than all of their previous acquisitions combined, as Blackstone looks to establish itself as a true industry titan in the music rights market.....
its4inthemorning

Hey Bev,

I hadn't heard about this, it is interesting that the same company may own the back catalogues of my two favorite music artists/groups.

For 40+ years I played DSOTM, WYWH, and to a lesser extent, The Wall incessantly, but strangely, never delved into any of their earlier or later albums. I guess in a way I can be like one of those wind-up toys, once wound up I just keep going in the same direction until someone or something changes my direction! Anyhow, your earlier post about "On the Turning Away" spurred me to purchase the "Momentary Lapse of Reason," and also "The Division Bell," both of which I like a lot...thanks for the tip. Now just speaking very hypothetically, if one had never listened to any of the other Pink Floyd albums that are not mentioned above, are there any you are familiar with that you might tell that hypothetical unnamed person to consider buying?

I guess you are in the midst of winter, wish we could send you some BTUs, we've had a large excess.

B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah 4,
I have to say that I can't advise that "hypothetical unnamed person" about buying any other Pink Floyd albums because as I've mentioned above, besides a few singers, I'm selective in my song choices ;-)

And winter here is the most wonderful place to be! This year was actually better because we had some unexpected "cold" days - even weeks! It's 9am and 21C (69F) at the moment and I can feel spring is in the air - it's officially only 3 days away on 1st Sept. That's OK but I'm not looking forward to the seemingly never-ending, hot, humid days to come.

Take It Easy,
B4
B4real

Post by B4real »

I just accidentally came across this today and thought of you :)

Roger Waters Drops Ominous New Version Of Pink Floyd Classic 'Comfortably Numb'

Ed Mazza - Yesterday 5:47 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-au/music/news/ro ... baa6ad28b0
Roger Waters just released a haunting new take on “Comfortably Numb,” from Pink Floyd’s landmark 1979 album “The Wall.”

While the track is a staple of classic rock radio, fans might not recognize this one right away.

“I pitched it a whole step down, in A Minor, to make it darker and arranged it with no solos, except over the outro, where there is a heartrendingly beautiful vocal solo from one of our new sisters Shanay Johnson,” he wrote on YouTube, referring to one of the vocalists on his “This Is Not A Drill” tour.

This take on “Comfortably Numb” has been the opening number throughout the tour, and the visuals appear on the video screens that start out on the stage but rise above it as the song ends: https://youtu.be/9JLN581QWxc

“It’s intended as a wakeup call,” Waters added. “And a bridge towards a kinder future with more talking to strangers, either in ‘The Bar’ or just ‘Passing in the Street’ and less slaughter ‘In Some Foreign Field.’”

“This Is Not A Drill” finished its North American leg last month and resumes in spring in Europe.

Return to “Other music”