Bobby D Sings Bobby Vee

This section is for all other music-related topics
Zimmy66

Bobby D Sings Bobby Vee

Post by Zimmy66 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Last Wednesday evening during a gig at Midway Stadium in St. Paul, Minnesota, Bob Dylan learned that Bobby Vee was in the audience. So, what does Dr. Bob do? Plays one of Mr Vee's classic tracks, Suzie Baby. And, as the video shows, gives a good account of both himself and the song. Even if the band look a bit lost at times. ;-)

The more learned amongst you will of course know that Dr Bob played piano for Bobby Vee back in 1959, going under the name of Elston Gunnn (sic) One of the tracks he played on was indeed Suzie Baby.

Bob's "speech" at the beginning is a bit rambling, but goes something like:

"I used to live here, and then I left ... I've shared the stage with everyone from Mick Jagger to Madonna, but the most beautiful person I've ever been on stage with is Bobby Vee. He used to sing a song called 'Suzie Baby' ...Please show your appreciation ... with around of applause. We’re gonna try and do this song, like I’ve done it with him before once or twice."

So, before the corporate whores at Sony remove the video,(I've already 'ripped' it. :D ) here it is. (bit shaky for 30 seconds or so):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQKKhDxN0LY

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
John Etherington

Re: Bobby D Sings Bobby Vee

Post by John Etherington » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Here's an alternative video with better sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8vSA6oI ... e=youtu.be
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 pm

That was great... and at the same time kind of exasperating, to hear that when he puts his mind to it, Mr. Dylan can still sing better than he so often does in concerts. We will probably never know what he'd sound like now if he took some basic care of his voice, but I so wish he would. His lyrics deserve it.
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 pm

John Etherington wrote:Here's an alternative video with better sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8vSA6oI ... e=youtu.be
Thanks John -appreciated. Any unofficial footage of Bob is hard to come by, as it's no sooner online when it's taken back down again.

Robert
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:37 pm

HelenOE wrote:That was great... and at the same time kind of exasperating, to hear that when he puts his mind to it, Mr. Dylan can still sing better than he so often does in concerts. We will probably never know what he'd sound like now if he took some basic care of his voice, but I so wish he would. His lyrics deserve it.
I know what you mean Helen. As a 'veteran' of many of Bob's campaigns over the years you feel like he's taking the p**s some evenings. But still I and many thousands others hang on every word. (assuming we can understand it. ;-) )

Robert

Return to “Other music”