Tom Waits?

This section is for all other music-related topics
greenfeld69

Tom Waits?

Post by greenfeld69 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:19 pm

Any fans of Tom Waits?

Genius songwriter who has gone through some dramatic changes in sound. I feel Alice and Blood Money are his finest works but he has done some magnificent stuff over the last thirty-odd years.

Not keen on his latest album, though, I must say!
linda_lakeside

Tom Waits

Post by linda_lakeside » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:55 am

I've been a Tom Waits fan all my sad and sorry life. I'm with you on the last CD thought (not my kind of thing).

I couldn't help but thinking, when listening to, On That Day, that Leonard's voice is sounding abit like old Tom. I've often thought that Leonard and Tom Waits had a few things in common
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:39 am

I am big fan of Tom Waits, and I was surprised that he has new record??? No news, it isn't in the stores??? Not playing on the radio?What's going on?And few days ago I heard that the album is awfull? The worst in his career? I can't believe, his latest two albums were the best records of his career (Alice+Blood Money).
Please share some insight, I am planning to start search thru CD shops here,
tom.
Henning

Post by Henning » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:47 am

Tom

I agree with you that Alice and Blood Money are exquisite. The new CD is said to be a lot noisier, he exercised in his bathtub. Tom is playing 3 shows in Berlin and 3 shows in Amserdam in November. Prices start at 80 Euros and go to 150 Euro a ticket. People say it's worth it. So if you bring your girl-friend and want to have a good sight at Tom's lines in his face be prepared to have 300 Euros at hand.
Anth

Post by Anth » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:53 am

I'm also kind of Tom Waits fan! Especially Early Years, Rain Dogs and Alice + Blood Money.
I think the Trinity shall be likes this:
Leonard Cohen
Nick Cave
Tom Waits

:D
Love's the only engine of survival
Leonard Cohen LT
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:54 pm

Yes, Anth, the well-known "Trinity" :D

If waits was only experimentating, that's nothing new? I remember when I first time hear "What's he building" :wink:
Also, really, doesn't LC experiment on DH? He sounds like Waits on few tracks --- and Tom Waits is his favourite singer!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:02 pm

Henning, it's little to expensive for me:) Also, I still hope he will once come to Zagreb or Ljubljana...
Cave is on December 2 in Wien, I am thinking about that... Not so far, and much cheaper.
tom
Henning

Post by Henning » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:08 pm

Tom,

you should go and see Terry Lee Hale in Zagreb on December 2 - Much cheaper than TW but always a pleasure to see him perform.

And today is the release date of Carla's solo CD - can't wait to hear it.

Hurry up - Glitterhouse.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:13 am

Oh, the message's here, like "guest". I was trying to send it for half hour, and then the forum collapsed!
I was already two time on Terry Lee, he's very good. Sadly, he's trying to perform upbeat songs to get the audience, and his best are those cohenesque, sad and melancholic ones :D
bee

Post by bee » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:51 am

I do love Tom Waits. He's disturbing and so very special to me. I've listened to his songs when I was disturbed, depressed or questioning everything around me or~in me. I can't listen to him though- if I there would be somebody around. He's just such a perfect company, one does not need nobody else~ Tom is so much a presence . He's a brother in despair, isolation, memories of times long gone etc. He's been perfecto for me so many times. I do love Tom Waits very much :roll: :cry: 8)
bee
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:38 am

The album was officially released last Friday here (3 days ago)... Very good reviews everywhere, as usual... Hmm, now I must find way for that and I still didn't buy double Nick Cave album...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:52 am

Hi Bee ~

You've described so very well how Leonard has been for me. I can understand, too, how Tom could be the same for someone else. I haven't heard all of his songs [by a long shot], but your description aligns with what I have heard. Almost all of my listening to Leonard has been done in private, with that same sense of completeness. Yet, what bliss, to know someone with whom you can truly listen [that would be as in listen].

~ Lizzy
toanne

Post by toanne » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:02 am

tom waits is great, i cannot decide my favourite between him and leonard cohen.
justinburnett

Post by justinburnett » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:48 am

Trying to choose between them would be like trying to choose between chocolate and cheese (and no, I'm not saying that either Leonard or Tom is cheesy) -- both are deliciously essential parts of my diet, but they're different. Thankfully in this world we have many many different types of music, so we don't have to go around choosing between equally wonderful alternatives :-)

Take care
-J-
Jim Williams

Notes from the pen of a Tom Waits fan

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:33 am

A composer of true originality, a magnificent lyricist, an incomparable vocal stylist, a worldy-wise humourist, Tom Waits is the consummate artist. His work assimilates and transcends so much that is great from the rich seam of not only American music, but of 20th century literary, dramatic, poetic and visual arts. Hence, just as the influence of Charles Bukowski's poetry is clear in Waits's work (not to mention the themes and moods of Edward Hopper's paintings), here is a musician whose seamless move towards avant-garde musical theatre is testimony to the fact that he's one of those rare few for whom innovation comes with age.

Only a certain Leonard Cohen can match him.
Last edited by Jim Williams on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep.

Return to “Other music”