Do you believe David Bowie will ever tour again?:)

This section is for all other music-related topics
IMM

Re: Do you believe David Bowie will ever tour again?:)

Post by IMM »

Do you believe David Bowie will ever tour again?
Yes.
shooting_star_88

Post by shooting_star_88 »

Thank you Eskimo :)

I will still keep the faith :)
with the Sublime Sisters of Mercy
shooting_star_88

David Bowie 'won't be touring' his producer Tony Visconti confirms

"Visconti said: "He’s fairly adamant he’s never gonna perform live again. One of the guys would say, 'Boy, how are we gonna do all this live?' and David said, 'We’re not'. He made a point of saying that all the time.""

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 48586.html
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Well, shucks. I'm not giving up hope though. After all, he denied music-making for a decade, and looked what happened on Jan. 8. :) Maybe a tour will be another surprise...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

mnkyface wrote:Well, shucks. I'm not giving up hope though. After all, he denied music-making for a decade, and looked what happened on Jan. 8. :) Maybe a tour will be another surprise...
Yes, I'm hoping this is the case as is what happened with a lot of others we love ;-)
Eskimo

Post by Eskimo »

A "clarification" tweet:
tonu.jpg
shooting_star_88

Wonderful :)

Perhaps he will surprise us with a Tour this Summer/Autumn :)
confetti

Post by confetti »

oh i would love to see David Bowie, next to Leonard he is the one person I want to see. I never thought I would have the chance to see Leonard Cohen and I did, so I am holding on to that, I think he is probably saying he isn't going to tour, because he's not sure how many people would want to see him, once he realises we all do, I guess he will do a little tour, realise he loves it and then do some more - who does that sound like? :D :D
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Extremely sad news today

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36446
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
shooting_star_88

Yes I just heard :(

Terrible news :(
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

He knew, and he turned his dying into performance art.
I've not seen anything so moving anywhere, ever.

Lazarus
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

Blackstar
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Squidgy wrote:He knew, and he turned his dying into performance art.
I've not seen anything so moving anywhere, ever.

Lazarus
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

Blackstar
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw
Nor , i think will we hear anything with this power again .
I heard it on sunday, when i assumed Bowie was well and on the cusp of a creative renaissance .
I listened again on monday , and it was a different and as you say profoundly moving experience.
The videos are astonishing, and I think Bowie looks good , kind of what you would expect a 69 yo David Bowie to look like
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

Yes. Though he was known for his ever-evolving spaceman personas and freaky-deaky costumery, Bowie was a genius of raw, intense power even without the artifice. My all time favorite Bowie recording was his interpretation of a song he didn't even write, that was on the Station to Station album.
The backstory is that he had a passionate fling with Nina Simone, and he recorded it after loving her version of it.
Everytime I hear it, it gives me chills. I've been listening to it a lot in the last few days.

Wild is the Wind
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeQKUIZXDzc
MarthaG

Post by MarthaG »

I wasn't such a big Bowie Fan, but liked most of his music. Even was at a concert, back in the 90ies....he sure was a fascinating artist and I always loved his Voice...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtsV50_-p4
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I stop short of calling David Bowie a genius, as his influences were numerous, including Anthony Newley, Eddie Cochran, Dylan, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Jacques Brel, Scott Walker, Lindsay Kemp, and many others (Bowie himself in a TV documentary admitted he borrowed a lot from others, but had chosen well). That said, there was definitely an element of genius in the synthesis of artistic and musical forms that he unleashed between '71 & '73.

The timing of the Ziggy Stardust phenomenon could not have been better. Dylan was going through a quiet period following 1970's "New Morning", and so was Leonard after the release of "Songs of Love and Hate" in March '71. Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World" was released in April, but I didn't really get into it, at the time (even though I had liked "Space Oddity"). I did however see Bowie live at the John Peel Radio show in May and his short set certainly made an impact. He still had long hair then, and I think that one of the songs he sang was "Queen Bitch". There was so much going on at the time that I didn't give Bowie much further thought that year. I went to ninety gigs in 1971!

Early in 1972, I started work at Harlequin Records in Bond Street, where I first heard "Hunky Dory". The album completely blew me away, and became one of my most played albums of all time. In March I saw my third Leonard concert (at the Royal Albert Hall), in April I bought the first Lou Reed solo album, then on May 12th, I saw my first Ziggy concert at the Central London Polytechnic. Hearing Bowie sing "Five Years" for the first time was an extraordinary experience. You felt that we really had only got five years left. I bought the "Ziggy Stardust" album on the day of it's release (June 6th) and it totally lived up to my expectations.

The two concerts that Bowie played with Roxy Music at the Rainbow Theatre, that summer, were particularly outstanding. In the build-up to his set the theatre was darkened and the section of Beethoven's Ninth from "Clockwork Orange" was played, then suddenly the stage lights came on and Bowie went straight into "Ziggy Stardust". The emblem on the backdrop behind Bowie created an environment akin to a Nazi rally.I saw Ziggy three more times: once at the Royal Festival Hall where he brought Lou Reed onstage to join him for "White Light, White Heat" and "Waiting For the Man" (I gate-crashed that one!); once at Croydon Greyhound where he first did the fellatio guitar thing with MIck Ronson, then finally Ziggy Farewell Show at Hammersmith Odeon.

I bought "Alladin Sane" and thought that was fine album , but with Ziggy killed-off, my interest waned. I thought "Pin-Ups" was too retro, and "Diamond Dogs" and "Young Americans" didn't do much for me either. However I quite liked "Low" and "Heroes" and also "Station to Station". My last Bowie concert was at the Empire Pool, Wembley, where he took the role of the "Thin White Duke", and the last Bowie album I really got into was "Let's Dance". I only vaguely kept track of Bowie's career after that. However his death has had a powerful effect on me, and his new album sounds very interesting. Belatedly I've also realized how great "The Man Who Sold the World" is.
Last edited by John Etherington on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other music”