Playlist September 2004

Postby Kush » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:50 pm

Playing musical chairs on my 5-CD changer this month:

John Hiatt - Walk On
Judy Collins - JC singeth LC
Buddy Guy - Damn Right I've got the Blues
Willie Nelson - Milk Cow Blues
Various Artists - Beautiful Dreamer: Songs of Stephen Foster
Various Artists - Is it Rolling Bob? (reggae tribute to Bob Dylan)

What are yours?
Henning

Postby Henning » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:00 pm

Hi Kush,

the Stephen Foster Tribute contains songs by John Prine and Grey deLisle - sounds interesting to me.

Walk on is the only John Hiatt CD I have - it's nice - didn't fall for it though.

I am waiting for the new Giant Sand CD and Thalia Zedek CD. I am sure they will top my September playlist.
Kush

Postby Kush » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:40 pm

Hi Henning....I think you'll enjoy the Foster tribute. I'd never heard of Grey Delisle before till you had it in your August playlist.
I am big into John Hiatt since I heard The Tiki Bar is Open. Walk On is the only other I have of his and I have to respectfully disagree with you - I think its terrific. :). Perhaps 2 or 3 fillers but the rest of the album is A+. He's got a special gift for slyly humorous lyrics and the music is boisterous.

I should check out Thalia Zedek - its an interesting name, the music should be so too. :)
jurica

Postby jurica » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:04 pm

hey, Kush,

how good is 'Is it Rolling Bob?' i may try to get one myself. reggae tribute to Dylan sounds like a lot of fun.
Kush

Postby Kush » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:29 am

Well since it is on my playlist it is of course very good IMHO. I like the rhythm and phrasing of the reggae arrangements. But the disappointing thing is it almost exclusively his older songs and nothing from 80s onwards or even 70s. (except Gotta Serve Somebody). The good thing is it is Vol.1 so there will more I guess.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:40 am

currently in my playlist rotation:

Kiss - "Love Gun"
Kiss - "Hotter Than Hell"
Iggy and the Stooges - "Raw Power"
Leonard Cohen - "New Skin For the Old Ceremony"
Leonard Cohen - "Essential" (CD2)
David Bowie - "Best of Bowie" (CD1)

i have about 20 new cd's to listen to, so when i do, those will most likely be on my playlist as well. haha.
lightning

Postby lightning » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:13 am

Kush and others,
Bunny Wailer covered Dylan in the 70's ( Like a Rolling Stone) and Bob Marley changed his name from Nesta Robert Marley to Bob Marley in imitation of Dylan when he started his career. So de Rastaman has always appreciated our Bob. I'm afraid his spliff has burned down to nothing by now so I'm not buying the new CD ; I and I will stay cool with my old ones. One love.
On my CD changer now is Jeffrey Lewis, "It's the Ones Who've Cracked that the Light Shines through", Jeffrey Lewis, "The Last Time I did Acid I Went Insane," Loreena Mckennitt, The Mask and the Mirror, and two of my own MP3 compilations 16 Great Doo Wops and one rap, the Charts, the Paragons,and Thirstin Howl III, and another too eclectic to describe. On my turntable A Treasury of Gregorian Chants, Kol Nidre Service, Richard Tucker, and my usual Jacques Brel records.
Kush

Postby Kush » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:06 pm

Actually the best recent Dylan cover album I thought was the Masked and Anonymous soundtrack, although I didnt much care for the movie. So Jurica if you don't have it, that's the one I'd recommend.

Lightning - Bob Marley was an iconic world figure but there are some very good reggae musicians that the Caribbean people can tell you all about. I was fortunate to have a friend from the Bahamas in my college days who introduced me to some really good reggae music. Two that come to mind are Culture (lead vocalist Joseph Hill) and Burning Spear.

Return to “Other music”