Robert Plant, Band of Joy, Electric Proms bbc radio 2 Oct 29

This section is for all other music-related topics
linda_lakeside

Re: Robert Plant, Band of Joy, Electric Proms bbc radio 2 Oct 29

Post by linda_lakeside »

Well hello Margaret! and Diane,

By some strange, serendipitous, sixth sense, I was just going to post to this thread when Margaret's post came in a notification.

It's been my good fortune to belong to the LC forum, not just for the abundance of LC, but for the wonderful taste in music the collective membership shares. I downloaded the Band of Joy last night (with Big Log as an added track), and am enjoying it immensely.

Yes, Diane, I originally thought Robert may have lost his 'edge'. On Band of Joy, I find that the production is a little muddy in places but most tunes come thru superbly. 'Central Two-O-Nine (sounding a bit like Darkness Darkness) is a favourite right now, as are the more acoustic tracks. I've heard him speak of the music scene in Nashville, but would rather he not take the country road too far - I think he's much better with the blues roots and the mysticism he's so well known for. And, he does acknowledge the fact that Nashville is not just about country music, it's about music in general - all genres.

I watched a lot of the Allison Krauss/Plant videos, and was struck by the number of Zeppelin tunes they did together - always crowd pleasers, for sure. It seems that Plant is very comfortable (still) in the Zeppelin mode, and Allison was very adept (Battle of Evermore, especially). I have the Raising Sand MP3 in my desktop, and I admit I have not given it a good enough listen, but will download to my iPod the next time I fire up the old desktop paper-weight.

And yes, that was me during the live/original version of Black Dog - and I believe you when you say you are not envious. ; ) The reworking of that tune was beautifully executed. Plant's output over the past several years I've sadly missed - I suppose I had my head stuck in the Zep days and couldn't/wouldn't make the adjustment, but he has produced a lot of wonderful work. I will definitely be looking for more to add to my iPod, as I've not lost my attraction to his voice (still in great shape) nor his writing abilities. Thanks for posting and opening my ears to his new direction (which is not so very far from his old direction, just more refined). I love the quote from Rolling Stone - and it is so true.

Linda.

PS: Once again, I'm typing without my glasses on - some guesswork/translation may be required.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
Diane

Post by Diane »

margaret wrote:and he's not my type either :)
Margaret:-)
Robert Plant highlights from the Roundhouse concert will be on bbc 2 this Saturday 6th Nov at 11.15 pm.
Fantastic that you saw Christy Moore recently. I still recall a muddy field in Ireland...

Great stuff Linda - I KNEW you would like it:-)
Linda wrote: find that the production is a little muddy in places
The only thing that slightly bugs me about the album is that on a couple of tracks they seem to have overdone the buzzy, psychedelic guitar sound. I had the same problem with the Raising Sand album, until I got used to it.

Yes, I too have heard some excellent music I would never have come across had I not belonged to this forum.

And also that I would never have heard were it not for youtube. Just tonight I found this instrumental cover of D'yer Ma'ker from a bluegrass band Pickin On:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_T095ja78
margaret

Post by margaret »

Diane,
Yes I caught most of the Robert Plant night on BBC2 last night, including the earlier interview talking about his career to date. Bedtime called before the end of the night's programs, around 1.00am. but I shall watching the recording of what I missed tonight. I actually prefer him in his later years :)

Linda,
I noticed you had to pull out of Leonard's show in Vancouver. Are you able to get to one of the other shows, like Las Vegas for instance? I hope all is well with you.

Margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
Diane

Post by Diane »

Margaret, I forgot it was on! I was out at a bonfire party, and although back well in time, it had been raining and I was rather wet and desirous only of a hot shower. I'm really glad you enjoyed though. I wish for an album of the Led Zep reinterpretations from various collaborations.

Actually, from Led Zep's third album on, much of their/his output has been more melodic and acoustic than you might think. Once you look closely an an artist, you can no longer pigeon-hole them into a certain genre of music can you (it's everything music, as Linda said he said). Here is the most un-Robert Plant Robert Plant I can think of, from his curious Honeydrippers phase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70W8usD9As

Oh dear Linda, I hope all's well - you were so looking forward to seeing Leonard. Take care.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi guys,

Yes, I've had to bail on Leonard. So sad! When it looked like he wasn't going to make any stops in Canada and the tour was shutting down, I decided to take some time with a friend back east and booked a flight. I could have booked a flight to Vegas (they're usually cheap from Vancouver), but with the tik, hotel and all the rest that Vegas requires, it would have been too pricey. All this following Leonard around the world must cost a Fortune for those who can do it. So, when Vancouver popped up, I bought the ticket in hopes of being able to change plans, but it was not to be. Airlines can be so unforgiving.

And yes, Diane, you are so right that even though Zeppelin was 'pigeon-holed' as that hard rocking crazy buncha guys, even the second LP was a change from the first, then came the heavy acoustic Gallows Pole (one of my faves). Their fourth was a terrific album encompassing all facets of their previous styles - acoustic, hard rock and then the gentle mandolin. Beautiful back ups by Sandy Dennis. They were anchored in the heavy rock, but transcended all boundaries. Rain Song is not something most people would classify as a Zep song, but there it is, soft and beautiful (another fave).

I too, as I said, am looking back and making comparisons. Got a brand spanking new iTunes card and will download some of their lesser known material. I don't think the Honeydrippers was so curious a stage for Plant. As a singer, he was able to break free from the heavy rock which was so powered by Page's guitar, even though he did return to that style, he could easily entertain other genres, stretch and experiment. Oh, yeah...Robert Plant, the Renaissance Man. Haha...What a guy ;-) I've downloaded a few of Plant's tunes from some of his various solo efforts, and there is a LOT of great material to be found. So - onward with my quest - I'm so glad you brought this topic up. I've been searching for something 'new', but I think what I really want is a new outlook on something 'old'.

As usual, thanks for the link. And YouTube is such a treasure trove - so much to see before the labels start pulling their material off. With all these new programs which can separate the music from the video in a downloadable fashion, I guess they're afraid that prolonged exposure means too much pirating. Again. Time for me to get one of those programs just to beef up my collection of single tracks.

See y'all,
Linda.
Diane

Post by Diane »

That's too bad, Linda. I always admired your extensive knowledge and appreciation of all things LC. You should be there, in Vancouver.
Linda wrote:I don't think the Honeydrippers was so curious a stage for Plant. As a singer, he was able to break free from the heavy rock which was so powered by Page's guitar, even though he did return to that style, he could easily entertain other genres, stretch and experiment.
No, you're right. I just still have a knee-jerk reaction that I "don't like" certain types of music.

Thank heavens for iPlayer- I just saw the Robert Plant documentary, By Myself, from Saturday night. It was touching to hear him relate the deep creative connection he had with John Bonham. He said Led Zep had a greatness, born of the chemistry between the band members that gave rise to their performances of huge intensity. Indeed. He also acknowledged there was a small amount of luck involved in their mass appeal and success. He emphasised the epiphany of the time in 1972 when he went into the Atlas mountains of Morocco and heard the Berbers play their traditional rhythms, and how that eventually found its full fruition when he got together Justin Adams et al. as The Strange Sensation in the early noughties. (I went into the Sahara in 2000 and heard Berber traditional music and it did something to me too.) Great stuff.

Nos da.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi Diane,

No need to respond if you've found this topic wearisome - but for me, it's a bit of a search into what I found so appealing about Zeppelin in the first place. Back in the day, it was about the big guitar, Plant's long high wails AND his oh, so low, and strategically oomphed jeans. haha..! Not only that - but it was so much about Page and Plant, who, it turns out, really didn't 'like' each other. Page's 'frugality' and Plant's ego. Well, two egos on the battle. But they still played off each other well.

In my HO, Plant is trying, by way of the fuzz box guitar, Alison, Nashville, etc., to sort of put distance between himself and his past (as in heavy guitar, which brings Page to mind). He (Plant) is on his own journey now. But never, will there be that 'magic', however black it may have been, between two members of one group. They were of the same mind, musically, at first, but egos and all the rest got in the way. The only other relationship of such power I can think of is Jagger/Richards - and they haven't spoke in years. They're not friends. The Stones are a corporation - biz, not just music and I guess that's how Zep was going.

Hmm...when you say:
No, you're right.
- I wonder what that means? ;-) No, I'm right, or yes I'm wrong? haha...

No matter. We all have our memories of what makes us feel 'young and alive'. Be it Zep, or Michael Jackson or (Gawd forbid) - uh...Abba (sorry Abba fans). It 'is' visceral. It is personal and it hits you right in the heart and the gut. That's where music lives. We don't all necessarily agree on what it takes to get our musical rocks off, but I think the basics, the blues roots, then on to R&R in it's embryonic stages and all that came later are connected. Whichever piece we decide or 'feel' most comfortable with will hold us in it's thrall forever. Like Page in It Might Get Loud - and his description of his love of the old pre-rock tune 'Rumble'. It just hits you, and you never lose your love of it. That's it (for me at least). It's the Stones, the Beatles - Zeppelin and Leonard. Yeah! That's Entertainment!!! haha..! It hits you where you live.

...I love rock and roll, put another dime in the jukebox, baby....
Diane

Post by Diane »

linda_lakeside wrote:
Hmm...when you say:
No, you're right.
- I wonder what that means? ;-) No, I'm right, or yes I'm wrong? haha...

No matter. We all have our memories of what makes us feel 'young and alive'. Be it Zep, or Michael Jackson or (Gawd forbid) - uh...Abba (sorry Abba fans). It 'is' visceral. It is personal and it hits you right in the heart and the gut.
Ha, I mean no it wasn't that curious and yes you are correct! (I always react against the smooth 60's pop Walker Bros type sound even though I can distinctly hear it in some of what I do like, and think it's high time I got over it.) Brace yourself, but I like Abba! Andante Andante was one of those songs I once played on a loop, fluffy pop lite as it may be. Sometimes, 'the surface is fine'.

It's so hard to generalise about why we like what we do, but you are not wrong about the power of your earliest musical enthusiasms. I think the blues-rock sound hit me from the moment I first heard a Lynryd Skynyrd LP playing in a bar in my tender years. 'My time' came just after LZ were finished, but their myth seized me. The rawness and intensity I appreciated were incidentally qualities that first attracted me to LC's (early) music.

I don't know much about Plant/Page disagreements, but David Gilmour and Roger Waters are yet another pair who fell out big-time. So much passion goes into the creative process and from that stems the compulsion to have things 'your way', I guess.
...I love rock and roll, put another dime in the jukebox, baby....
linda_lakeside wrote: Too bad you didn't see the real Zep. They were a sight to behold. And I mean that from the bottom of my rock and roll guitar loving heart!
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screaming guitar
I like the way it gets me
every time it hits me
I've got a rock and roll -
I've got a rock and roll heart.
Thanks for the trip, Linda. See you later.
Diane

Re: Robert Plant, Band of Joy, Electric Proms bbc radio 2 Oc

Post by Diane »

Hello Linda. Are you still there? Thanks to you I did eventually get hold of It Might Get Loud, and I thought it was excellent, especially the jamming sessions between the three musicians. How rude of me to say earlier in this thread that Jimmy Page wouldn't look out of place in an old folks' home. He still shines and he is still the best. The surprise for me was Jack White. I always resisted listening to him, possibly thinking he was too young and gimmicky to be any good. However, I really warmed to his personality and drivenness . My favourite part of the film is when he explains why Grinnin' in Your Face by Son House is his favourite song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlSka5iqPY
I did finally listen to a compilation I have had for some time, and while I don't entirely get along with the punky sound, I am pleased to have got to listen at last. I'm Slowly Turning into You:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzfUJxwV9Q
It would make my day if Laurie turned up here...
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi Diane,

Glad you had the opportunity to see IMGL. You can see how it set me on a journey to find the old Led Zeppelin - Page just brought back so many memories. He had such a story to tell. As for Jack, yes, I'm with you in that the punk is not the favourite aspect of his talent for me either. It will likely mellow out a bit as time moves on, but he certainly believes in what he is doing. He is a funny guy. Laurie is a big fan. I think I prefer The Raconteurs over The White Stripes, and The Dead Weather has some good material, but I only have a portion of their stuff. Laurie has it all (and then some). Whether she'll turn up here is hard to say. If you've not talked with her lately, I'll def. mention what you you said, and who knows what might happen?

Again. thanks for the links and for your never-ending quest in finding the 'good stuff' and sharing it with us here.

Take care,
Linda.

PS: You liked the Son House reference and I liked the way Page reacted to his old fave 'The Rumble' - seeing him play air guitar was just fun. I didn't know Living Legends played air guitar with their old favourites. haha...I guess they're just like the rest of us - just a bit better in the air guitar department.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Yes I can see how it set you on that journey Linda:-) I'll have to check out White's other bands...
you wrote:I liked the way Page reacted to his old fave 'The Rumble' - seeing him play air guitar was just fun. I didn't know Living Legends played air guitar with their old favourites. haha...

I loved that part too, and how he went through it giving a commentary on the chord progressions, haha yes while playing air guitar - with the same joy in his face he must have had as a youngster. It's so good to watch creative people documenting their inspirations.

I have been out of touch with Laurie for a while, so please do, and who knows. In any case, tell her I said Hi...

cheers!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Diane,

If you're still out there, a friend linked me to this cover of Kashmir by Jethro Tull of all groups. This girl is a firecracker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHsxmjpkeFI

And that is the original member, Ian Anderson, on the flute - the guitar is very true to that of Zep's. By that I mean that the opening chords are so dramatic as to be instantly recognizable as 'Kashmir' - no matter how it might be covered.

L8R

Note sure if you`re going to have to copy and paste it into your address bar - I`m still not into the site`s software.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Not a bad cover, esp. with the violinist. Thanks to the friend for the link. You take me back - I saw Jethro Tull years ago. Broadsword conjured the same dramatic mythical story of Norse invaders of Britain as Led Zep's Immigrant Song.

Re. Kashmir, I am not sure whether you have the No Quarter Unledded cd or dvd from the mid nineties by Page and Plant. If not, check this out. It's done with an orchestra including musicians from Eygpt. This is to die for; the best of the best Page and Plant have ever done together, imo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwka3iSZgBs (it's cut short, full version is over 12 minutes.)

Anyhow, I shall be watching IMGL again. You were right, it is a real gem. Thanks everso Linda.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Haha...

Great stuff - love that tune, and yes, I've seen that before, but might invest in the disc. I just have a 'thing' for Robert Plant (as you likely know). The Egyptian musicians give it a real 'mystical' edge. Speaking of which, another cover, but without the tell-tale Page chords, is a great vocal by Ofra Haza which, I think, capture the true essence of the Eastern edge. Well, I could do the Zep thing all day, but I really like this woman's presentation.

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu5Cgb6Y ... re=related

Hmm...looks like a copy and paste link to me....
Diane

Post by Diane »

That disc also includes new interpretations of The Rain song and Gallows Pole - two of your favourites.

Ofra Haza's cover is about as different from the original as you can get! Nice one. She has a lovely voice and her accented English unsurprisingly suits it perfectly. It's a kind of Kashmir-in-slow-motion.

I once had an obsession with D'yer Ma'ker - daft song title; great song, with that reggae beat. So I was just youtubing to see if anyone had done a decent cover (apart from the Pickin On Bluegrass). I found Sheryl Crow did a cover, and, would you believe, Lady Gaga, in the days before she wore outsize telephones on her head. You never know what you'll find once you start youtubing... I've been watching the early live bluesy-as-hell 1969 LZ recordings, too. Wonderful.

Just one more link, of Tangerine, live. I adore this song; a simple reflection back to an innocent time when you believed things would work out...Robert is gorgeous in this too, Linda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRu0n_btNo

check out those huge tassels on John Paul Jones' sleeve:-)

Return to “Other music”