Robert Plant, Band of Joy, Electric Proms bbc radio 2 Oct 29

This section is for all other music-related topics
Diane

Robert Plant, Band of Joy, Electric Proms bbc radio 2 Oct 29

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:49 pm

I've been listening to Robert Plant's new album, Band of Joy (the title harking back to his pre-Zep days). It's a bunch of covers, musically eclectic but retaining the Krauss-effect: country singer Patty Griffin and guitarist Buddy Miller are among the musicians. It's good, but doesn't blow me away like his brilliantly exotic post-Zep albums, No Quarter Unledded (with Jimmy Page) or Mighty Rearranger.

I will be seeing him Oct 26 in Cardiff. His gig at the Electric Proms will be broadcast live on Radio 2, 8pm, Friday Oct 29.

From the new album, Harm's Swift Way by Townes Van Zandt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqgn_8jVl-E

And how about a classic from the other end of his career, Travelling Riverside Blues, recorded in 1969: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSht5j3Cnh0
Kush

Re: Robert Plant, Band of Joy, Electric Proms bbc radio 2 Oct 29

Postby Kush » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:23 am

Hi Diane,

Enjoyed Harms Swift Way. Actually I was at B & N (local bookstore) couple of days ago and they were playing this track which I did not initially recognize until I heard Oh me Oh my who's gonna mark my time....
Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Here is a good review of Robert's new album, which is growing on me with each listen:

http://airplaydirect.com/music/robertplantbandofjoy/

Re. Harm's Swift Way:
Plant interprets Townes Van Zant’s reflective “Harm’s Swift Way” as an almost anthemic rock song. “I heard the version that Townes recorded and it was kinda like a demo. And again the lyric is dumbfounding – it just wipes you out completely. His delivery was quite disturbing, if you like. It was like the last demo you make before you put the guitar down and never pick it up again, ever. Was just like the end of everything. And it was very mournful and dirge-like and I just thought well there may be another way of doing this because the lyric is strong and maybe we can turn it into something that actually is, not a monument to him, but just another reflection of his work.”
It's probably the least interesting song on the album, arrangement-wise (which is not to say I don't like it - I do!). I'd never heard anyone sing it before. I know you've mentioned a cover album of unreleased TVZ that includes this, Kush, which I have on my list but haven't got around to yet.
daveeliver

Postby daveeliver » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi ,
He's also on at The Olympia, Liverpool Thursday 21st October.
A small venue, and I have 2 tickets!!!
Really looking forward to it .

Micah P Hinson
Robert Plant
Christy Moore
Tom Paxton
Barb Jungr
Marc Almond (maybe)
and a few others
A good few months
but no Las Vegas.
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Dave (prize-winning poet 8) ) enjoy all that! Tell Christy Moore hello from me - I haven't seen him for a while.

A nice recent interview with Mr Plant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZOPvI8ACp4&feature=fvst

Edit: more of the interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbdp-TkO__A

"Mood and lilt and, through the years, swagger, and some sort of physicality through the music has been important to me, to get it beyond the words."
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Diane - hello!

You read my mind. I've been watching the film 'It Might Get Loud', and the interviews with Jimmy Page got my attention, as Zep was one of my favourites, and I've seen them several times. Sooo....I looked around (for Robert Plant stuff - he was so gorgeous and 'dangerous' 8) ) and the Band of Joy kept coming up. I haven't heard it - but I will in a moment - but it's serendipitous that you were on the same quest. If you get a chance, if you've not seen It Might Get Loud, do! Great film.

Linda.

Row 4 in Vancouver!!!
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Linda!! How excellent to see your lovely self swish back in here:-)

What? You saw Led Zep, and several times? Wow. I was unaware of them until just after their demise. The first time I saw Robert Plant was on his Principle of Moments Tour (remember when Big Log was on the radio a lot...) It was his second solo album and he'd had a tidy hairdo and gone all poppy and smooth and my friend and I, dying for the raw, wild stuff, were quite (very) disappointed. Well he's made up for it since then, going edgier and rockier again and (back) into middle-eastern and north african sounds - and now very much into American country - and refusing to let the grass grow under. Report back what you think of the new album won't you.

No, I haven't seen it Might Get Loud yet. Strangely, Laurie was the first person to tell me about it, ages ago now. I must look it up, thanks for reminder!

Yes I thought of you when I saw LC is coming back to Vancouver - enjoy!!
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:10 am

Hi Diane!

So nice to see your lovely self still keeping your finger on the pulse of all that is beautiful.

Well, on Robert (the dangerous) I was hoping for something with a bit more 'edge'. But, they're not getting any younger - so I suppose he'd feel silly doing the same old Zep thing. He was tall, thin, and the way he pranced! Yes, when I first heard Zep I was Blown away - and they toured a lot back then. His voice is the same as it always was, but he's not letting out those long wails he used to. Time does something to a person - esp. singers. But, he is unique, and I do like him in whatever guise he might show up in.

Seeing Jimmy Page and Zep footage in that movie was so wonderful - it really brought back the 'feeling' of those days. Then The Edge and Jack White brings us back to current times. You MUST see it. It was Laurie who turned me onto it as well. I've been digging up old Zep videos and stories of all the wanton and riotous acts they were involved in. To see Jimmy Page now, you'd never guess he was 'one of those' - he is now like an Elder Statesman of rock and roll. Quiet and distinguished.

Thanks for posting this - although, I just can't get the 'feel' of Robert Plant doing Townes Van Zandt - it's like they belong to two different worlds. Well, Townes is def. in a different world. I hope he approves of Plant's cover. It will take me time to get used to the 'new' Robert Plant - his interviews are still very funny - he is incredibly gifted and of an intellectual background. You'd think all that they went through would have laid him flat by now. On that note, John Lennon 'would' have been 70 on Oct.9 - and Paul Simon is 69 today. Where does the time go? Too bad you didn't see the real Zep. They were a sight to behold. And I mean that from the bottom of my rock and roll guitar loving heart!

See you (hi Kush),
Linda.
Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Hmm I always thought of him as more visceral than intellectual;-) Since the hour I first heard him screaming and moaning his way through Led Zeppelin 1, many moons ago, I've been hooked. For wailing Plant you could check out Sixty-six to Timbuktu, a 37 track compilation of his 'solo' work until 2003 and including older tracks going back to the 60's. It's a great album that really showcases his versatility. Bags of edge.

He's doing what he wants these days, as these older artists who have earnt their stripes are entitled to do. We can wish they lived in the past, but we can't expect them to, as you say. On the whole I think I like his mature output on its own merits.

That dissolute lifestyle they led back then - some of it was way OTT (and sadly lethal too) but it was part of the job description I suppose. Jimmy Page I last saw on TV in the closing ceremony of the last Olympics and he did look like an elderly gentleman. Yep, that's life. One minute you are a young genuis guitarist throwing TVs through hotel windows, and the next you find you wouldn't look out of place shuffling around an old folks' home. I will see that film!

Townes Van Zandt. Plant covered him on his last album too - in fact that was where I first heard of him. It's not necessarily a bad thing to get an interpretation of a song from an entirely different personality, as somebody once pointed out to me...
Too bad you didn't see the real Zep. They were a sight to behold. And I mean that from the bottom of my rock and roll guitar loving heart!

I believe you!

Take care of your rock n roll heart, Linda.

ps Jeff Buckley apparently aspired to sound like Robert Plant.

pps Silver Rider is my current fave from Band of Joy. Very cool track.
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:20 am

Yes, I would suppose he would seem more visceral then intellectual. However, when Jimmy Page was given the 'Living Legend' award, Plant made a very elaborate little speech in which he referenced all things they had in common, or had 'grown' to have in common. And it seemed quite literally, well....literate. Whatever the case, I will def. look into his more recent work. And yes, I'll take good care of my rock and roll heart. ;) Btw, on Jeff Buckley - I saw his Dad Tim Buckley (also dead from O.D.) on NYE 1974 - and that was quite a show too.

I tried to insert an image, but If I fail, well, it's because I can't read the directions, and I've forgotten how.

See you L8R
I see the image didn't take. Damn. - best to you, though.
Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks Linda for trying to post a photo of young Robert strutting his stuff but no worries. (You need to highlight the url of the image and press "img".) Hope you do enjoy some newer Plant when you get to it.

I saw him last night, and what a marvellous evening of hard rockin' country blues with-a-touch-of-gospel it was. The band he has put together for this album/Tour is very accomplished and versatile. It was a perfect venue for them as the acoustics are great in St David's Hall Cardiff.

Buddy Miller was the standout musician on lead electric guitar (and he has a good voice). I must listen to more of him; he reminds me of Steve Earle, only bluesier.

It was a more extravagant performance than on the last Tour with Alison Krauss, good though she was in her own way (I still remember her acapella version of Down to the River to Pray which was breathtaking). With Patty Griffin taking the role of backing singer, Robert could give his voice and character free reign.

The Led Zeppelin reinterpretations (Houses of the Holy, Tangerine, Gallows Pole) were excellent, but in fact not any more enjoyable or notable than the performances of the newer songs. Mind you, one of the closing numbers was Rock and Roll. Before launching into it, he said, "Shall we rock?" And to the audience's affirmative response he said "Why is that?" but in a tone of voice that meant, I know full well why that is. Well I just liked that.

I can't narrow down the highlights because it was all so good. Down to the Sea that he opened with, maybe, and the Richard Thompson cover House of Cards. Harm's Swift Way was brilliant, live. If you want to hear, his Roundhouse London gig is on bbc radio 2 on Friday at 8pm. I want to tape it. How on earth does one do that on the computer I wonder.

You are the all-time king of what you do, Robert.

How did you find the gig in Liverpool, Dave?

I searched for youtube vids of this tour but they are tinny and awful travesties that I cannot bear to post. However checking out Buddy Miller separately, this is the first vid that comes up when you put his name into google: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2R9pZDiTaA But you should have heard him going to town on his guitar.

I almost forgot! Justin Adams and Juldeh Camara were support, and I had no idea until they appeared on the stage:-) That's the fourth time I have seen them over the past two years, the last time being at Womad (when Peter Gabriel presented them with a world music award). I think they are following me.
Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:10 am

It's on bbc iPlayer for seven days. I don't know if it's available outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vlspw

HD: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/electricpro ... bertplant/

Joined by the London Oriana Choir, they finish the set with 12 Gates to the City/ Wade in the Water/ In My Time of Dying, and I Bid You Goodnight.

I bid you goodnight.
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:37 am

hard rockin' country blues with-a-touch-of-gospel it was.
Hey Diane,

Thanks for the links. You are such a hard working gal when it comes to the arts in general. I so hope he makes it to this side of the pond.

The BAND OF JOY, just 'sounded' to me like 'religious' type of band. Which, of course, is not like the 'old' Robert, and it would be fine if he's gone down that road. I know I'm jumping to conclusions, having not, as yet, seen the most recent vids, being side-tracked by the old Robert. Now you say, well...what you said in the quote.

I am not biased, prejudiced or questioning anyone's right of belief. However, if one could judge a book by its cover, it's beginning to sound like Robert the Dangerous is leaning to a more 'spiritual' self. Which is fine, fine, goodness knows, it did wonders for our Fearless Leader (Leonard). Still, I hope that Robert has not gone 'religious' or too spiritual, as you said before, his work is/was more visceral. OK, now that I've already judged the CD by its cover, and jumped to all sorts of conclusions, no matter how far off the mark they may be, I will wade in the river, and see what he's up to. I probably should have tuned into the links first, but I can't resist making a fool of myself in a public forum.

Thanks again,
Linda.
Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Ha, Linda, your posts always make me smile. It's good of you to indulge me in this thread and I enjoy your perspective.

I don't think Robert Plant has 'gone religious', nor particularly more spiritual (his own lyrics have long reflected his interests in Celtic and ancient mysticism). It's more that he started his career under the spell of Mississippi delta blues legends, and has continued to follow his passion for roots music, through to the present. Blues/roots/world music is more 'visceral' of itself, I think; generally more 'felt', than intellectualised. Led Zep covered the gospel song In My Time of Dying, revived for this tour, on Physical Graffiti, in the 70's. Gospel I assume to be based in African indigenous music, and "hijacked" by the Christian, more sanitised view of the world.

Anyway, Leonard Cohen never had a problem being visceral and religious, both. It's just that he is more poetic about how he expresses it.

I've noticed that there is some "proper", professional footage on youtube of his LAST tour, with Alison Krauss, so Linda, if you've the inclination, check out this (excellent, I think) clip of Black Dog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poiCzMOvkKk

and compare it with the original, live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tlSx0jkuLM&ob=av2n
(it could have been you in that audience, no I'm not envious. I know you believe me.)
edit: I just watched that link through - God he (all of them) was/were something back then!

BUT do you think he has (only) got old and boring and lost his dangerous edge, or can you still dig it?

PS I just saw a quote from Rolling Stone on the freebie postcard thingy they gave out at the gig. About the new album they wrote: "It still swings like Satan's barn door.":-)
margaret

Postby margaret » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:22 pm

Diane and Linda,
I was never a big fan of Robert Plant back in his hey day with led zep, not really my musical era, (and he's not my type either :) ) but I am enjoying his latest release Band of Joy, courtesy of a copy given to me on Friday night by Dave. It's been in my cd player most of the weekend. Thanks Dave, and also for your company at the Liverpool Phil to see Christy Moore, who was excellent :)

Margaret

Return to “Other music”