Judy Collins Dublin February 15th

This section is for all other music-related topics
burningviolin

Judy Collins Dublin February 15th

Post by burningviolin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi all,

Judy Collins is playing the National Concert Hall in Dublin on the 15th of February. Thought I'd highlight it in case there are some of her fans on here too! (though I suppose we all are indirectly anyway!)

Tickets are €30/€35

http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performanc ... &time=2000
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
GinaDCG

Re: Judy Collins Dublin February 15th

Post by GinaDCG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Oh, enjoy! Enjoy! Judy Collins played at an outdoor, riverfront venue in Charleston WV about 9 years ago as a benefit for a labor union (I think.) My daughter and I went early and garnered great seats, but then some idiot drove his boat near the venue and turned his speakers up so loud that Collins was drowned out with a refrain, repeated over and over, from some country song: "Do you re -- mem--- ber? Nine--- ee --leven?" What a jerk!

But Collins was so gracious. She returned to Charleston soon after and played at Mountain Stage so I got to both see AND hear her this time. And she was superb! (Of course Mountain Stage is a wonderful institution with a a connection between audience and performer that reminds me of my Nashville college days.) And as an added treat, the next day, when I walked with my daughter through the local airport we passed Collins (carrying her guitar - which kind'a made her stand out.)

Again -- enjoy! And I trust that no Irishmen would be so musically crass as to try and deliberately drown out a musical performance!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi burningviolin,

I'm going to see Judy at the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town, London on 31st January. Tickets for that are only £20.00 I saw her at the same venue at the beginning of last year, and she was great. Her voice was in perfect shape, and she inevitably played "Suzanne".

All good things, John E
sebmelmoth2003

innisfree

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Poet Kenneth Steven explores WB Yeats's The Lake Isle of Innisfree...

about 22 minutes into prog judy's innisfree is called "an appalling version" !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pnp9h
Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:20 am

I'll be seeing Judy in Cardiff on the 12th feb, at a very small venue (350 capacity). She does hold an important place in music history for all of us here. Enjoy, indeed.
Rob
efc

Post by efc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Rob wrote:I'll be seeing Judy in Cardiff on the 12th feb, at a very small venue (350 capacity).
I saw her in London the other day, in a venue which also has a 350 capacity, but tickets were still on sale on the day of the concert. She managed a contrived and gratuitous attack on Sarah Palin. Perhaps Ms Sarah has messed with her head
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 am

Judy gave an ourstanding performance at the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town on Sunday night. She announced that she had a cold and that her nose had been streaming until she started singing, but you would never have guessed it. Her singing was as near to perfection as could be imagined. Now 70, she also looked remarkably glamourous, with her hair loose this time, and wearing a sparkly black dress. She kicked-off with "Both Sides Now" and the set-list included "Anathea", "Yesterday", "I Dreamed a Dream" (supassing Susan Boyle's version!), "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", "Secret Gardens of the Heart", and a stunning rendition of Tim Buckley's "Once i was". On a couple of songs she got the audience to participate" - namely "Cat's in the Cradle" and "Amazing Grace". Overall, it was a totally different set from her previous appearance at the Jazz Cafe. Between songs, Judy engaged in some lively patter and told another amusing story about a recent meeting with Stephen Stills, for whom she still seems to have much affection. Towards the end of the set, she played "Since You Asked" on the piano, but started coughing during the song (which she still played through to the end). A bar assistant leapt over the counter and passed her a bottle of an unknown liquid, which she proceeded to down in one! I find it amazing that you can still see an artist of this calibre in such an intimate venue for a mere £20. This was also the first time in a long while that I have seen a worthy support act. Kenny White (another Wildflower artist) is a satirical songwriter in the Randy Newman/Tom Lehrer vein, who as well as being entertaining is both a competent singer and fine jazz pianist.

All good things, John E
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:32 am

Sounds like a lovely evening John, I haven't decided to go and see her yet but your tempting me. By the way did she do Suzanne?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:09 am

burningviolin...I urge you to go, especially if it's an easy venue for you to get to. After all, you never know when you'll get another chance. I passed on Judy for years, and now I really regret it. I went last year, just because I thought I should see her once, but this year I booked without hesitation! Judy sang "Suzanne" at the Jazz Cafe last year, but not this time. She brings out the best in any song...even something like "Yesterday" which we've heard a thousand times.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:54 am

Cool, thanks John. Dublin is a bit of a hike but I may get there. I've only seen clips of her on you tube but there is something fascinating about her. thanks again.
efc

Post by efc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:11 am

John Etherington wrote:Judy gave an ourstanding performance at the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town on Sunday night. She announced that she had a cold and that her nose had been streaming until she started singing, but you would never have guessed it. Her singing was as near to perfection as could be imagined. Now 70, she also looked remarkably glamourous, with her hair loose this time, and wearing a sparkly black dress. She kicked-off with "Both Sides Now" and the set-list included "Anathea", "Yesterday", "I Dreamed a Dream" (supassing Susan Boyle's version!), "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", "Secret Gardens of the Heart", and a stunning rendition of Tim Buckley's "Once i was". On a couple of songs she got the audience to participate" - namely "Cat's in the Cradle" and "Amazing Grace". Overall, it was a totally different set from her previous appearance at the Jazz Cafe. Between songs, Judy engaged in some lively patter and told another amusing story about a recent meeting with Stephen Stills, for whom she still seems to have much affection. Towards the end of the set, she played "Since You Asked" on the piano, but started coughing during the song (which she still played through to the end). A bar assistant leapt over the counter and passed her a bottle of an unknown liquid, which she proceeded to down in one! I find it amazing that you can still see an artist of this calibre in such an intimate venue for a mere £20. This was also the first time in a long while that I have seen a worthy support act. Kenny White (another Wildflower artist) is a satirical songwriter in the Randy Newman/Tom Lehrer vein, who as well as being entertaining is both a competent singer and fine jazz pianist.

All good things, John E
I don't agree with your rather breathless and gushing account, but my main focus is that I see your "I find it amazing that you still see an artist of this calibre in such an intimate venue for a mere £20" as a silly bit of spin. The reason she was in a small venue for £20 was because the demand is not there. If the infinitely more popular Sarah Palin spoke in such a small venue then that would be quite something
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:35 am

:?: :neutral:
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi
I saw Judy Collins last night in Birkenhead.
She was great and if you get a chance to see her, please make the effort.

She sang beautifully, played the guitar and piano, and chatted about her life beween the songs.
The stories gave the concert a different dimension and I must try and find her autobiography.

Highlights were Song of Bernadette

Diamonds and Rust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexYTYUcnTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL_KNes0 ... re=related

1st clip for the chat, the 2nd for a decent video

For an encore she sang one of my favourite songs Since you asked , talking about how Leonard persuaded her to write her own songs
I don't normally shout requests but I'm glad I did.

tomorrow
Judy Collins with Kenny White at Whitehaven Civic Hall
Whitehaven Civic Hall whitehaven, UK
Monday 08 February 2010
Judy Collins at The Duchess
The Duchess York, UK
Wednesday 10 February 2010
Judy Collins at Sheffield City Hall
Sheffield City Hall Sheffield, UK
Friday 12 February 2010
Judy Collins at The Globe
The Globe Cardiff, UK
Sunday 14 February 2010
Judy Collins at Spring and Airbrake
Spring and Airbrake Belfast, UK
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Dave,

Glad you got a chance to see Judy...you were lucky to hear her version of "Song of Bernadette". I'm interested to hear what else she sang...did she sing any of the songs that I mentioned (above) from her Jazz Cafe set. We also heard "Diamonds and Rust", but even though Judy performs it well, I feel that song particularly belongs to Joan Baez.

All the best, John E
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:34 am

EFC scrawled......
"I don't agree with your rather breathless and gushing account, but my main focus is that I see your "I find it amazing that you still see an artist of this calibre in such an intimate venue for a mere £20" as a silly bit of spin. The reason she was in a small venue for £20 was because the demand is not there. If the infinitely more popular Sarah Palin spoke in such a small venue then that would be quite something."

"If the infinitely more popular Sarah Palin spoke in such a small venue then that would be quite something."

I agree. It would be quite something. I'd go so far as to say quite remarkable. I'd even say unbelievable. How about totally gobsmacking. But let's not forget quite earth-shatteringly, splendiforous. And of course, total BLX.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.

Return to “Other music”