Movie: It Might Get Loud

This section is for all other music-related topics
bridger15

Movie: It Might Get Loud

Post by bridger15 »

I just saw the movie documentary , "It Might Get Loud". It is excellent. Now I know why I can recognize EDGE's sound anywhere. Acoustic Engineering.
http://www.sonyclassics.com/itmightgetloud/
Who hasn't wanted to be a rock star, join a band or play electric guitar? Music resonates, moves and inspires us. Strummed through the fingers of The Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White, somehow it does more. Such is the premise of It Might Get Loud, a new documentary conceived by producer Thomas Tull.

It Might Get Loud isn't like any other rock'n roll documentary. Filmed through the eyes of three virtuosos from three different generations, audiences get up close and personal, discovering how a furniture upholsterer from Detroit, a studio musician and painter from London and a seventeen-year-old Dublin schoolboy, each used the electric guitar to develop their unique sound and rise to the pantheon of superstar. Rare discussions are provoked as we travel with Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White to influential locations of their pasts. Born from the experience is intimate access to the creative genesis of each legend, such as Link Wray's "Rumble’s" searing impression upon Jimmy Page, who surprises audiences with an impromptu air guitar performance. But that's only the beginning.

While each guitarist describes his own musical rebellion, a rock'n roll summit is being arranged. Set on an empty soundstage, the musicians come together, crank up the amps and play. They also share their influences, swap stories, and teach each other songs. During the summit Page’s double-neck guitar, The Edge’s array of effects pedals and White’s new mic, custom built into his guitar, go live. The musical journey is joined by visual grandeur too. We see the stone halls of Headley Grange where "Stairway to Heaven" was composed, visit a haunting Tennessee farmhouse where Jack White writes a song on-camera, and eavesdrop inside the dimly lit Dublin studio where The Edge lays down initial guitar tracks for U2’s forthcoming single. The images, like the stories, will linger in the mind long after the reverb fades.

It Might Get Loud might not affect how you play guitar, but it will change how you listen. The film is directed and produced by An Inconvenient Truth's Davis Guggenheim, and produced by Thomas Tull, Lesley Chilcott and Peter Afterman.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Alan Alda

Re: Movie: It Might Get Loud

Post by Alan Alda »

I can't wait too see this! But will have to wait for the dvd. I'm a huge Jack White fan. Saw him in his new band The Dead Weather a couple of weeks ago and will seem them again an few weeks.

Beside Jack, I'm familiar with Page, but the Edge, not so much. Look forward to learning more.

The song that Jack wrote off-the-cuff in the making of this (fly farm blues) was offered on vinyl through his Third Man Records site and I lucked out and got one of the 50 random tri-coloured versions. (cheap thrills!)

cheers,
Laurie
I simply cannot see where there is to get to. Plath
Even despots have access to 'Welcome' mats. Me
Desperation is easily confused with enthusiasm. Me
sebmelmoth2003

Re: Movie: It Might Get Loud

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

Return to “Other music”