Bruce Springsteen new albúm !

This section is for all other music-related topics
Kush

Re: Bruce Springsteen new albúm !

Postby Kush » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Diane & Steven,

The Alf Garnett clips were hilarious....dont believe I've heard of him before though. Yeah....east Indians are known for their tendency to hold onto their money tightly. Russell Peters expands on that theme here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtbyVFLl_7U. And here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqdIDxoWBE.
Yeah sounds like Archie Bunker could have been based on Alf Garnett.
Only Fools an Horses was another one that I used to watch a lot - think it used to air on PBS weekends. They used to run a lot of Britcoms on weekends back to back, dont know if they still do. Later I bought the entire series of Only Fools and Horses and its the only one that I'd put on par with Seinfeld. In fact having seen both series in their entirety, I wouldnt be surprised if Seinfeld was inspired in part by OFAH although he took it in a new direction (kinda like Springsteen being inspired by Dylan but going off in a new direction). Way too many good clips to pick one but this one come to mind about un-PC jokes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV7m6IIN_tI

Musicmania - welcome to the sometimes-Bruce thread.

I guess Bruce is now officially just a kid with a crazy dream eh? (Or was it just a crazy kid with a dream). Someone put a nice article on this section Red White and Bruce, I was gonna say something on it but havent gotten around to it yet.
Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Kush you don't ever stop surprising me. I didn't expect you to have even heard of Only Fools and Horses. Yes, funniest sitcom ever, here. There have been some specials, apart from the main series: Did you see Miami Twice, where they go on holiday to the US and Del Boy gets mistaken for a Mafia boss? At your recommendation, if I see Seinfield is on the TV I will definitely have a look. (You used to be able to rent videos here, until about five years ago, when all the shops just disappeared because people now apparently rent them online and they get sent in the post. I have yet to initiate into this method.) Loved the clip you put up. And Russell Peters is great comedian: I believe I have seen one or two hysterically funny clips of him before.

haha yes Bruce is now just a kid with a crazy dream.
musicmania wrote:
Steven wrote:Hi Musicmania,

Well, you caught two of the most brilliant singers/songwriters/performers of modern day music. :D
I most definately did! I'd seen Brucie before but it was my first time seeing Leonard & how amazing that gig was :D What a brilliant week this week with both artists celebrating milestone birthdays! Sandwiched in the middle of the 2 was another favourite of mine David Coverdale on Tuesday who was 58. I've also incidently seen Whitesnake this year in June just a few weeks before Brucie..... yes as my user name suggests I'm music and gig mad.

How to begin to answer your question Diane??????? I love all Brucies music & have most of his 20+ albums & I'm not sure if I could pick one favourite from them all. My favourite Springsteen song however is No Surrender. I love the story of that song. My favourite lyric though is from I'm on Fire, At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet and a freight train running through the middle of my head. Some of the lyrics of that song are a little dodgy though. Other favourites include Dancing in the Dark, Brilliant Disguise, Badlands, My Hometown, The River, Devils and Dust... This list could go on forever.
I recently discovered that my mp3 player keeps a list of my top 20 played songs & Brucie takes up the top 4 with 5 more appearances (No Surrender tops that list). Leonard has positions 5 and 6 with Hallelujah and So long Marianne with 4 more positions. ALL the top ten are from Brucie and Len! My all time favourite band Bon Jovi only manages 3 songs. It made interesting reading when I first discovered it. Considering I've around 1800 songs on my MP3 player to choose from shows how much these two artists have mean't to me this year ;-)
Musicmania we understand here your enthusiasm for The Boss:-) Yes it was a bit of a tough question to throw at you;-) Seems the Born in the USA album is one of your favourites. For many years it was one of mine. No Surrender is an excellent song I agree and comes across very well live. It kind of echoes Backstreets from Born to Run. I particularly enjoy the words, maybe we could cut someplace of our own with these drums and these guitars. They have resonated with me for 25 years, and we (I'm not sure exactly who 'we' are, but it certainly includes Springsteen and me) did cut someplace.

David Coverdale, eh? I don't know much Whitesnake, although I played Here I Go Again over and over and over again when it first came out in 81 or 82. Like a hobo I was born to walk alone. (Pity they later changed 'hobo' to 'drifter'.) But he was pretty good imo in his earlier life with Deep Purple. Mistreated, with the inimitable Richie Blackmore on guitar, was a classic blues rock number. I've seen Bon Jovi a couple of times, really fun concerts! Great to have you in this forum and in this thread musicmania.
Steven

Postby Steven » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi,

Just checking in and asking for the usual forebearance of friends who understand the
falling behind. (Saw Graham Parker last night, b.t.w., live in-concert. His voice
sounded as good as I remember it from decades ago.) Welcome Musicmania to the
conversation.
Kush

Postby Kush » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Diane - you have now set me on a quest to find these OFAH specials. No I did not know about them probably because they were not shown here. Miami Twice sounds like it could be awesome.

Steven - Just noticed that Ken Burns National Parks (that you spoke about earlier) is to be aired today I think (12 part series). Not sure I'll be able to see it today (am at work today! :? ) but will definitely try to catch some of it and probably get the DVD when it comes out. I read somewhere the National Parks designation as "one of best ideas America ever had."

well we should probably get back to some Springsteen songs and lyrics for a while....will try to bring some lyrics next time.
Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:36 am

Musicmania, as you mentioned I'm on Fire, I don't know if you've heard this cover by Sara Bareilles which you may or may not like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhysu3peJek

Kush, yes Miami Twice is "awesome" and it looks like it's all on youtube (and as you are talking about your national parks, some of it takes place in the Everglades).

Nos da.
Steven

Postby Steven » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi Kush,

Thanks for the heads up on the airing of the first part of the Burns' series. Got to watch it. The
segment they showed was two hours long, with no break. It is outstanding. A DVD of the series,
if the other segments are consistent with the quality of the first, would be valuable to have.
There were many masterpiece-like moments: visual, interviews, words of John Muir, etc.
I really like the quotations and treatment that they gave to John Muir. I've a book by Muir
and admire/appreciate his spiritual take on the natural world. There was so much to take-in
that the two hour stretch was a bit intense and similar to trying to take in more than an hour
of great artwork at a museum. A DVD could avoid that. It certainly would avoid the incessant
fundraising stuff that the stations are sure to rerun this series with (at some point). Again,
thanks.
musicmania

Postby musicmania » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Diane wrote:Musicmania, as you mentioned I'm on Fire, I don't know if you've heard this cover by Sara Bareilles which you may or may not like:

Just had a listen. It's not bad but give me Brucie any day. I'm not really a fan of covers as a rule. She has a good voice though.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Kush

Postby Kush » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:57 am

Steven,

Glad you were able to see the Burns series, and thanks for alerting me to this series itself which I did not know about. Unfortunately I could not do so and not sure this coming weekend either. Hopefully I should be able to watch the ones airing the latter half of october. Yes your description sounds quite accurate with a review that I saw on the web. Spectacular shots but more than that he delves into the history of how these came about. I look forward to catching some of these later on and will likely get the DVD series when it comes out.
BTW, I am not aware of Graham Parker - will check out the youbiquitous youtube on him.

Diane (& Steven) - I belatedly celebrated Springsteen's birthday by listening to Hammersmith Odeon concert on my ipod with a fancy pair of new headphones (on that note, why not a section for audio equipment on this forum? Familiar music sounds completely new with different equipment. We could exchange info on various equipment we use to hear music etc etc). Man what a band they were then. Searching for the edges of sound. It was definitely the E Street Jazz-Rock Band at the time. The music oozed a sense of experimentation. The individual sounds and solos were much cleaner back then from the band than in the later LIve in NYC (as good as that album is!), IMHO. While the album is uniformly outstanding, seems to me the band really goes into whole another gear starting from track 7 on disc 1 (The E Street Shuffle), and all through disc 2. The high point may be track 1 of disc 2 ...17 minutes of Kitty's Back. Herbie Hancock might have been proud of that composition. I think Springsteen and the band made a conscious and subtle choice in the direction of their music right after the The Wild the Innocent...album and the Live Hammersmith one, before Born to Run and Darkness.

Diane - I just heard Sara Bareilles (is that right?) and she sounds much more interesting than the last time you mentined her. Maybe it takes a little growing into. Also heard some of the other links from that page (Serena Ryder, Tegan & someone) ...not bad! A softer treatment of Springsteen songs.

well more later.....
Steven

Postby Steven » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi Kush,

So far, it's only the first segment of the series that I was able to see. I expect that I'll also get
a DVD, either library borrowed or purchased, when it becomes available. Can't say that
Graham Parker is a favorite of mine, but really appreciated the stylized eloquence of his voice
when I heard it (years ago) on FM radio. Favorite song that I know of his: "Don't Ask Me Questions."
(The title may or may not be "Hey Lord, Don't Ask Me Questions." Not having the record, I don't
know.) And a great voice he continues to have.

Diane and Kush, Musicmania, et al,

Enjoyed Kush's Springsteen's birthday celebratory observations. Any technical/equipment discussion
will educate me. Please go ahead on this. The early experimentation phase of Springsteen was
a calculated blend of risk and care, musicianship and exuberance.
Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:08 am

Good morning Steven, Kush, Music/m
musicmania wrote:
Diane wrote:Musicmania, as you mentioned I'm on Fire, I don't know if you've heard this cover by Sara Bareilles which you may or may not like:

Just had a listen. It's not bad but give me Brucie any day. I'm not really a fan of covers as a rule. She has a good voice though.

OK then. I'm easy to sway. Try this, complete with intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJQgwqojirs&NR=1

I'm on fire now, also, for some reason.

Hmm when it comes to audio equipment, ever since one of my wharfedale speakers blew after many years of loyal service and I stupidly junked my entire music system for something more compact, I feel I have lost the plot. I don't get those deep bass notes the way I used to anymore, and especially not on silly little ipod earphones. I feel quite bereft when I think of it:-(

I've dug out my Hammersmith 75, K (ha, sounds like a gun), and last night got as far as where he screams at the end of Lost in the Flood. That alone sounds great to me, but I will listen the whole thing through tonight and come back with something more sensible to say. Maybe.
I think Springsteen and the band made a conscious and subtle choice in the direction of their music right after the The Wild the Innocent...album and the Live Hammersmith one, before Born to Run and Darkness.
Yes you are right I think. I started out with The River as my first album and worked backwards and never reflected much on the progression from the jazzier, looser feel in the music and more Dylan-like imagery in the lyrics (on Asbury, Wild Innocent), through the move towards more rock anthem type songs with tighter lyrics such as he made his trademark. The Born to Run album was halfway houseish in the transition it seems. Look forward to quoting some of those early-Bruce crazy lines. What does and your cloud line urges me and my electric surges free, mean, for heaven's sake;-)?
Steven

Postby Steven » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi Diane,

Just a quick hit and run (saying that reminds me of the Elvis Costello song with "hit and run" in it --
a tremendous song at that) about "and your cloud line urges me and omy electric surges free."
In the natural world, a lot of activity takes places on edges (e.g. an area where woods abut
a field). A cloud line provides the outline for being able to see where, and if, a cloud is moving.
The cloud can portend rain, storm, etc. Near, but not in the possible turbulence, there's an
opportunity for something to happen, outside of a cloud of problematic possibility. The electric
surge could be libido, desire, lust, etc. The cloud line could be the edge where the surge can
affect something.
musicmania

Postby musicmania » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 pm

Diane wrote:
OK then. I'm easy to sway. Try this, complete with intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJQgwqojirs&NR=1
Now that is more like it! My God he is HOT in that video!!!!!!!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:24 am

Ah, music/m so you are a girl! I thought that vid would clarify that.

Well Steven I always thought that was a bit of a nonsense line that just sounded good! Thank you for that. This has nothing to do with Bruce, but you mentioning that a lot goes on at 'edges' and the fact that the song (For You) mentions hitchhikers, somehow reminded me that Douglas Adams said something in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books about how 'we all want to be at boundaries - where earth meets air, where space meets time, where bodies meet mind' (something like that).

Kush Steven and music/m, I see on brucespringsteen.net that Bruce has been doing whole album concerts, plus has a new song, Wrecking Ball, will have to look it up on youtube. There is also a link to a new interview in a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame exhibition that I haven't had a chance to hear yet, can only see "part 7 of 8", perhaps they have only been putting up one part at a time http://www.rockhall.com/blog/?p=194. Edit, heard it by the time I posted this post: Interesting. It was only a short segment. He says song-writing is like a meditation.
Kush wrote:I belatedly celebrated Springsteen's birthday by listening to Hammersmith Odeon concert on my ipod with a fancy pair of new headphones... Man what a band they were then. Searching for the edges of sound. It was definitely the E Street Jazz-Rock Band at the time. The music oozed a sense of experimentation. The individual sounds and solos were much cleaner back then from the band than in the later LIve in NYC (as good as that album is!), IMHO. While the album is uniformly outstanding, seems to me the band really goes into whole another gear starting from track 7 on disc 1 (The E Street Shuffle), and all through disc 2. The high point may be track 1 of disc 2 ...17 minutes of Kitty's Back.

Very true, Kush, all that you just said. Best live album, yes. Jungleland is taking me back to the gigs this summer. I am weary of writing about Bruce now, it's just nice to listen...
Kush

Postby Kush » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:35 am

Steven, Diane .....be back on the weekend with more thoughts and gab.
But for any bass problems with ipod I have just one thing to say - Senheisser PX-100 headphones (you can get it on Amazon). Sub $ 50, very portable which was what I was looking for and easily driven by ipod power. Larger more expensive headphones may need an amp to boost power. I cant stand the little things that go inside your ear which come with the ipod. More later....
Steven

Postby Steven » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:27 am

Hi Diane,

Thought that there was probably more than a sounding good basis for those lyrics. You gave me an opportunity
to think of a possible substantive meaning to them. Never read the Hitchhikers Guide books. You've
just added to my reading list by speaking of them. That's the second time this week that someone has
done that.

Hi Kush,

Enjoy the weekend. Easy on those eardrums with headphones or speakers. Protect those ears to hear good
things for many years to come.

Return to “Other music”