Bruce Springsteen new albúm !

This section is for all other music-related topics
Lucas

Bruce Springsteen new albúm !

Postby Lucas » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Nuevo disco: 27 de enero de 2009
Ya es oficial. Después del atropellado estreno de la canción "Working on a dream" en un programa deportivo de la cadena NBC, se acaba de emitir un comunicado oficial anunciando el nuevo disco. Lo que sigue es una traducción de la nota de prensa oficial (donde no se habla de gira por el momento):

'Working On A Dream', el nuevo disco de Bruce Springsteen, se editará el 27 de enero por Columbia Records

El nuevo disco de Bruce Springsteen, 'Working on a Dream', se editará en Columbia Records el 27 de enero. 'Working on a Dream' se grabó con la E Street Band e incluye doce nuevas canciones junto a dos temas extras. Es la cuarta colaboración entre Springsteen y Brendan O'Brien, quienes han producido y mezclado el disco.

Los títulos de las canciones de 'Working on a Dream' son:

1. Outlaw Pete
2. My Lucky Day
3. Working On a Dream
4. Queen of the Supermarket
5. What Love Can Do
6. This Life
7. Good Eye
8. Tomorrow Never Knows
9. Life Itself
10. Kingdom of Days
11. Surprise, Surprise
12. The Last Carnival

Temas extras al final del disco:
The Wrestler
A Night with the Jersey Devil

Bruce Springsteen ha dicho: "Hacía el final de la grabación de 'Magic', entusiasmado con el retorno a los sonidos de las producciones pop, continué escribiendo. Cuando mi productor y amigo Brendan O'Brien escuchó las canciones, me dijo 'Sigamos adelante'. Durante el siguiente año eso es exactamente lo que hicimos, grabar con la E Street Band durante las pausas de la gira del año pasado. Espero con 'Working on a Dream' haber capturado la energía y frescura de la banda tal como llegábamos de la gira tras dar algunos de los conciertos más excitantes que hemos hecho nunca. Todas las canciones se escribieron con rapidez, y normalmente hemos elegido una de las primeras tomas que grabamos. Nos lo pasamos en grande haciendo este disco, desde el principio hasta el final".

'Working on a Dream' es el 24º disco de Bruce Springsteen y se grabó y mezcló en los estudios Southern Tracks de Atlanta, Georgia, con grabaciones adicionales en Nueva York, Los Angeles, y Nueva Jersey.

pointblankmagazine.
Diane

Re: Bruce Springsteen new albúm !

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Gracias, Lucas. Since Devils and Dust we are getting about one new album a year! Bruce has been keeping up a relentless level of energy and output ever since Seeger Sessions it seems. And I had been concerned that he might be considering slowing down musically, now that he is about to become US President.

Here is the excellent, A Night With The Jersey Devil, one of the listed bonus tracks. He is having fun with this one. Going just by this and the other new titles, it does look like there will be a dose of humour in this album. A more optimistic feel than Magic, perhaps? He is even more sexy than usual in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJvDLIz19I4

Bruce Springsteen wrote:
I hope 'Working on a Dream' has caught the energy of the band fresh off the road from some of the most exciting shows we've ever done.
I really like the idea of the album capturing that fresh energy, but on the other hand, I did not think Magic was as special as his previous E Street album, The Rising, and maybe this is more of the same. But if it is only 'as good as', I still can't wait to hear it.

From brucespringsteen.net:
"WORKING ON A DREAM" SET FOR JANUARY 27 RELEASE

Bruce Springsteen's new album "Working on a Dream" has been set for a January 27 release on Columbia Records. "Working on a Dream" was recorded with the E Street Band and features twelve new Springsteen compositions plus two bonus tracks. It is the fourth collaboration between Springsteen and Brendan O'Brien, who produced and mixed the album.

Bruce Springsteen said, "Towards the end of recording 'Magic,' excited by the return to pop production sounds, I continued writing. When my friend producer Brendan O'Brien heard the new songs, he said, 'Let's keep going.' Over the course of the next year, that's just what we did, recording with the E Street Band during the breaks on last year's tour. I hope 'Working on a Dream' has caught the energy of the band fresh off the road from some of the most exciting shows we've ever done. All the songs were written quickly, we usually used one of our first few takes, and we all had a blast making this one from beginning to end."

"Working on a Dream" is Bruce Springsteen's twenty-fourth album and was recorded and mixed at Southern Tracks in Atlanta, GA with additional recording in New York City, Los Angeles, and New Jersey.
Edit: Just realised I posted a link to a 'jumpy' upload of Jersey Devil above so I changed the link.
Last edited by Diane on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiwi56

Postby Kiwi56 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Thank you Lucas and Diane ! That sounds very interesting, I´m looking forward to this new album :D :D :D
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
Minna

Postby Minna » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:13 am

Last edited by Minna on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
a new petition for Troy Davis at http://amnestyusa.org/troydavis
jerry

Postby jerry » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:18 am

Some of those song titles sound more like something Cat Stevens would write.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Kush

Postby Kush » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:26 pm

Hola Lucas, Diane, Minna, Kiwi, Jerry (& Steven)....I am sure Brendon O' Brien is good friend to BS and also a very nice man. BUT in my opinion he is a lousy producer....he completely homogenizes the E Street sound into absolutely nothing....
Now that BS is about to become US President, he would do well to pick people according to their merits and not just his buddies....he leaves himself open to charges of nepotism.
Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:37 am

I agree that Magic and The Rising are a bit overproduced and oversmooth. From how Pres. Springsteen describes the recording of the new album - capturing the energy from the shows, and using one of the first takes of each song - it would have been good if he'd produced it himself as he did The Seeger Sessions under similarish circumstances. I usually only fully appreciate a studio album after I have seen the Tour with the raw live sound.

Kush, a while back you suggested everyone list their Springsteen top ten. I quite like the idea of that happy task, whilst we wait for this new album. It will take me some weeks to complete the necessary research - replaying every album in order to narrow it down (hell, it's a hard life). As it was your idea, can you clarify whether there are any rules. For example, can we only choose from the original studio versions of a song, or can we can include different/live versions?

It'd be v. interesting to see the personal top ten of everyone here.
Lucas

Postby Lucas » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:28 am

Kush

Postby Kush » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:43 am

As it was your idea, can you clarify whether there are any rules. For example, can we only choose from the original studio versions of a song, or can we can include different/live versions?
Hmm...I dont really remember proposing this but maybe I did, the memory fades. I shall list mine in a moment of inspiration, not after careful research. And if you are asking me I'd say anything goes....live or studio whatever floats your boat.
Steven

Postby Steven » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi,

A top 10 list for me would likely be subject to change, even before new material
emerges for consideration, especially if the order of a list is to reflect rankings
among the 10 selected. Maybe this would be the same for you. It's difficult
to separate out the imprint that some songs have made upon me, from anything
even approaching objectivity because of the connections with people and events
of the times that the songs were first encountered. And even now, they'd be subject
to "rehearings" that affect preference. But, Diane and others, I'd be interested
in your lists, and especially the reasons you might give for what is on them.
Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:07 am

So, amigos, we have decided there are no rules, and you can explain your choices to make it more interesting. Yes, Steven I suggest it is a question of ranking in order of preference. Tough eh?
Steven

Postby Steven » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:11 am

Mi amigo Diane,

Si, it is tough, but go for it. :)
Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:24 pm

I just attempted a list, and I feel it might be necessary to interpret the word "ten" in a creative sorta way.

Had an email about a free download of Working on a Dream:

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

Well, it was free when I first wrote this post, but not no more.

Incidentally, I came across this lovely olde "super-jam" clip recently (Bruce is the best singer, imho, even tho' he forgets the words at one point):

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=deM3NdBoJQ8
Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:46 am

My Lucky Day, song and vid:

http://www.myspace.com/brucespringsteen

Alternative video:

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Springsteen ... =bspweb-20

The Jersey Devil has been removed as a listed bonus track on the official site ...

My first impressions of the two songs we've heard so far - Working on a Dream and Lucky Day - is that they are rather mediocre. Springsteen can write much better stuff than this. Or am I just getting too fussy?
Last edited by Diane on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Postby Steven » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:15 am

Hi Diane,

A local college station played the title song to the new CD today. Initial impression:
the production tamped down the power of the song.

Looking forward to seeing your top 10 list.

Return to “Other music”