Rolling Stone List of 25 Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Bands

This section is for all other music-related topics
Yankovic

Rolling Stone List of 25 Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Bands

Post by Yankovic »

Rolling Stone’s List of the 25 Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Bands

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... ure-bands/
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... pleasures/

Some of us still have a thing for Rush or Paula Abdul or RuPaul. That’s cool. To each his or her own and all that. But there are some artists who unequivocally leave much to be desired in terms of, say, quality or coolness, but still manage to rock, or at least inspire serious if shameful adoration on a mass scale. It’s these artists that we’re interested in. Artists who absolutely belong on a best guilty pleasures ever list, because that’s what we’re creating.

Those of you who proudly listen to Rush at top volume in your car all summer long, (ie thereby displaying the total lack of guilty in your pleasure), take note:? Rush come in at Number One on our official list of the Rock’s Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Bands. Like the rest of the acts on our list (which you helped put together), we love them to death, and can never forgive ourselves. The full list:

1. Rush
2. E.L.O. (Electric Light Orchestra)
3. Journey
4. ABBA
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Foreigner
8. Bread
9. Bon Jovi
10. New Edition
11. The Monkees
12. Motley Crue
13. STYX
14. Eddie Money
15. Simply Red
16. Kelly Clarkson
17. America
18. Wham
19. R.E.O. Speedwagon
20. Poison
21. Lionel Richie
22. Kansas
23. Air Supply
24. Hall & Oates
25. Britney Spears
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
Teratogen

Re: Rolling Stone List of 25 Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Bands

Post by Teratogen »

For one thing I do NOT feel guilty about loving Motley Crue, and it just so happens that I've got them blasting in the headphones AS I write this. On top of that I hold no guilt for listening to ELO, ABBA, Chicago, Boston, Foreigner, Bread, The Monkees, STYX, Simply Red, America, Air Supply, and especially not Hall & Oates. I'm surprised Ambrosia didn't make this list, but I guess you don't need to feel guilty about loving David Pack's great vocal talents.
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I don't quite know how Britney Spears qualifies as a band, but I did read last week that she has ideas about joining the Pussycat Dolls!

Cheers, John E
Paula

Post by Paula »

My ones are Carpenters, Abba, Monkees, Four Seasons, John Denver, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, REM anything with a bit of harmony so I can murder the song with my tone deaf singing.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Quasand

Post by Quasand »

Rush, Chicago, Foreigner, and Hall & Oates should not be on that list!!

Notice how none of the artists on the list are in the Rock Hall!

Rollingstone Magazine = Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! :x
Quasand

Post by Quasand »

ABBA is the first group from Rolling Stone's Guilty Pleasures list to be inducted into the Rock Hall. The ceremony is March 15!
Diane

Post by Diane »

What pompous git decided that certain music is guilty:-)?

I saw Rush live in younger days and they were a unique band who really rocked. Their first album through to Grace Under Pressure were fave albums of mine back in the day. I completely lost track of them after the mid-80's though. ELO were an excellent band, too - once listened a lot. I also enjoyed Journey although had only Greatest Hits. Abba too - excellent, one of the top groups ever. And REO Speedwagon anthems were an essential part of my youth although they hold no appeal now. As for Bon Jovi - seen them a few times and enjoy their gigs a great deal. And David Gates and Bread! and all those lovely songs, like Aubrey for example. I also liked "worse" bands than these 8) .
John Etherington

I think I'd feel extremely guilty if I liked most of that lot! Nothing wrong with Abba, Bread & Monkees, though (+ I love Lady Gaga).
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

My guilty list?

Yes -- Never try to make sense of the song "Roundabout."

Moody Blues (for a similar reason to the above -- wonderful sounds but not much sensical there there.)

(Not a band) -- "Leonard Nimoy Sings Way Out Songs from Outer Space" (need I say more?)

(Also not a band) Melanie

(And again, not a band) Raffi --a children's song composer and singer. Now that my children are grown I have to admit to myself that I like him for myself and listen to him when I'm alone in the car.

-- all in all a far cry from REM and Motley Crue
Diane

Post by Diane »

GinaDCG wrote:Leonard Nimoy Sings Way Out Songs from Outer Space
Oh no. Leonard Nimoy is a hero of mine. I hope never to hear this. And please don't tell Blonde Madonna.
John Etherington wrote:I think I'd feel extremely guilty if I liked most of that lot! Nothing wrong with Abba, Bread & Monkees, though (+ I love Lady Gaga).
John, come on it's time to confess that Hit Me Baby One More Time is 'most played' on your iTunes!
John Etherington

Diane - I don't have an i-Player, but I always enjoy the video of HMBOMT, when it appears on TV!
Diane

Post by Diane »

I don't go on facebook, but apparently there is a campaign on it to get Far Far Away by Slade back in the charts this year. Noddy Holder has a great voice, coulda been a blues singer if he'd wanted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0NpJ7mcfPo

It's OK - I'll shut the door on me way out:-)
Roy

Re: Rolling Stone List of 25 Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Band

Post by Roy »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20070409

Rush is the second band from Rolling Stone’s 2008 List of the 25 Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Bands to be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. The first was ABBA. Bon Jovi was nominated but lost.

Some of us still have a thing for Rush or Paula Abdul or RuPaul. That’s cool. To each his or her own and all that. But there are some artists who unequivocally leave much to be desired in terms of, say, quality or coolness, but still manage to rock, or at least inspire serious if shameful adoration on a mass scale. It’s these artists that we’re interested in. Artists who absolutely belong on a best guilty pleasures ever list, because that’s what we’re creating.

Those of you who proudly listen to Rush at top volume in your car all summer long, (ie thereby displaying the total lack of guilty in your pleasure), take note:? Rush come in at Number One on our official list of the Rock’s Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Bands. Like the rest of the acts on our list (which you helped put together), we love them to death, and can never forgive ourselves. The full list:

1. Rush
2. E.L.O. (Electric Light Orchestra)
3. Journey
4. ABBA
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Foreigner
8. Bread
9. Bon Jovi
10. New Edition
11. The Monkees
12. Motley Crue
13. STYX
14. Eddie Money
15. Simply Red
16. Kelly Clarkson
17. America
18. Wham!
19. R.E.O. Speedwagon
20. Poison
21. Lionel Richie
22. Kansas
23. Air Supply
24. Hall & Oates
25. Britney Spears
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs ... s-20070409

Hall & Oates are the third act from Rolling Stone’s 2008 List of the 25 Undisputed Guilty Pleasure Bands to be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. The first was ABBA, the second was Rush.

1. Rush
2. Electric Light Orchestra
3. Journey
4. ABBA
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Foreigner
8. Bread
9. Bon Jovi
10. New Edition
11. The Monkees
12. Motley Crue
13. STYX
14. Eddie Money
15. Simply Red
16. Kelly Clarkson
17. America
18. Wham!
19. R.E.O. Speedwagon
20. Poison
21. Lionel Richie
22. Kansas
23. Air Supply
24. Hall & Oates
25. Britney Spears
Last edited by Roy on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Vicomtesse

Post by Vicomtesse »

Guilty of bad taste methinks!!?

Jeff Lynn from ELO was brilliant as a Wilbury and I do have a Lionel Richie album because one of our guests left it in a room but I've never listened to it, maybe I should??

Return to “Other music”