What Other Artists Have You Seen Live (since 2000)?

This section is for all other music-related topics
John Etherington

What Other Artists Have You Seen Live (since 2000)?

Post by John Etherington » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Here's my list (from memory):

Brian Wilson ( x 35 ), Michael Chapman (30+ times), Arthur Lee with Love ( x 20), Julie Felix ( approx. 12 ), The Zombies (at least 6 times), Bob Dylan (several times), Procol Harum (about 4 times), Terry Reid (4 times), The Manfreds/P.P. Arnold/Colin Blunstone/Alan Price (x 4), The Incredible String Band (a few times), Donovan (3), Patti Smith (few), John Cale (few) Television (few), Jimmy Webb (2), Ray Davis (2), Felicity Buirski (2), Mike Randle (2), Anjani, Elin Ruth, P.F. Sloan, Bob Lind, Tom Verlaine, The Dottted Line (Scott Bennett and Taylor Mills), Show of Hands, Rufus Wainwright, The Magic Numbers, Philip Glass, Nick Cave/Jarvis Cocker/Kate & Anna/Handsome Famil/Julie & Perla (CBFFB), Pete Townshend/Ronnie Wood/Paul Weller/Chris Farlowe (at Ronnie Lane tribute), James Brown/Bon Jovi Joss Stone/George Martin Orchestra (at Hall of Fame awards). Anyone seen more?!

All good things, John E
John Etherington

Re: What Other Artists Have You Seen Live (since 2000)?

Post by John Etherington » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:03 pm

P.S. Add Roger McGuinn ( x 2) plus Kiki Dee and Carmelo Luggeri to my list - I wouldn't want to leave them out!
Cate

Post by Cate » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Holy kamoly John - that's quite a list.

Okay here's my list REM , REM again, some various artists at festivals
....humm.
Not much of a list - I think I need to get out more :D
I am planning a pretty wild summer (for me) I have tickets for Leonard and I hate to say it REM - so far.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Cate,

On the plus side, you've probably got some money, while I've got a massive overdraft! A friend of mine saw REM at the Royal Albert Hall recently, and said it was very good. Oh, by the way, add the Eagles to my list (I saw them at O2 recently).

All good things, John E
Rachel

Post by Rachel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:51 pm

I have been to quite a fair few gigs since 2000. The last one I went to was Erasure in Manchester, where I got punched across the room. Who ever would have imagined Erasure fans as moshers and violent thugs?? Especially with so many butterflies and ladybirds on stage.
dharma

Post by dharma » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:55 pm

wow, that's a seriously impressive list, john! Image

brian wilson x35! that must have cost a small fortune! :shock:

michael chapman x30+ - i'd completely forgotten about michael chapman until recently, almost assumed he'd kicked the bucket or something, but then noticed in my local newspaper that he was alive and well and doing a gig near me in an ickle theatre in halstead, essex - i need to read the music press more often :oops:
Last edited by dharma on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
Henning

Post by Henning » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 pm

John Etherington wrote: Anyone seen more ?
Probably it's me.

http://www.tea-and-oranges.de/live/
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Rachel: good grief - it sounds like you nearly got erased!

Dharma: Brian Wilson has indeed cost me a small fortune (definitely over £2000). I thought it would be a one-off opportunity to see him, but it became a way of life! Michael Chapman made a surprise return to excellence and touring about ten years ago. Try to catch him - it will probably only cost you around a tenner (keep an eye on http://www.michaelchapman.co.uk).

Henning: If that's how many gigs you see in a year, then I probably sound like a part-timer! Ironically the only three acts that I've heard of on your list are Cohen/Glass, Lucinda Williams, and the Edgar Broughton Band (who I saw again myself, about 15 years ago).

All good things, John E
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:58 pm

One point I meant to make is that in all of the concerts that I've attended since 2000, I have always been able to get a good seat, and have never had anything like the hassle that I've had trying to get Leonard tickets. Fortunately most people that I like are not stadium/arena acts, though Leonard now seems to be getting the same attention as Led Zepellin and the Spice Girls!
Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Now...let me think!!!! i'm doing this from memory...and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Incredible String Band
Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick
Harvey Andrews
Acoustic Strawbs
Philip Glass
Mostly Autumn (x3 and 3 or 4 more to come this year)
The Reasoning
Caravan
Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman
The Proclaimers
Focus ( cheating here ...I'm seeing them in 3 weeks time)
Dead Like Harry (seen once and another one to come in May)
Barclay James Harvest
Do tribute bands count???
Counterfeit Stones (x4)
Bjorn Again(x3)
Australian Pink Floyd Show
Floydian Slip
Off the Wall

Can I list pre-2000??
Leonard Cohen (x3) Gentle Giant (x4) David Bowie, Rolling Stones, SAHB, Edgar Broughton x2, Incredible String Band, Strawbs, Sisters of Mercy x2, Moody Blues, Mike Oldfield x2, Lionel Richie, Rory Gallagher x3, Average White Band, Third Ear Band,Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe, Big Country, Genesis (before they were famous), BJH, Roy Woods Wizzard, Status Quo, Tir na Nog, Steeleye Span, Hawkwind, Sparks, Tangerine Dream, Paul Simon, Man
I'm sure there were more but my memory is spent :)
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi Pete,

That list certainly takes me back to around 1970, when I used to frequent the Marquee Club, the John Peel Show and the Lyceum.
I saw several of those guys quite a few times...The Increds, Caravan, Strawbs, Genesis, Third Ear Band and Tir Na Nog (plus some of the others, at least once). I also followed Bowie regularly from his early "Hunky Dory" era through to the final "Alladin Sane" show.
Now let me guess... you got married and had kids (or got otherwise distracted) between the early Seventies and 2000, and have only revived your concert going in recent years (and have sought out gigs by old heroes)? Actually, I'm also interested to hear if any people going to shows HAVEN'T been attending concerts since 2000 (or even earlier).

All the best, John E
Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi John,
You guessed right..and the old heroes are still going strong...and I've discovered some new heroes.
These are the artists I havent seen and would hope to one day..
Porcupine Tree
Pineapple Thief
Within Temptation
The Decemberists
Dream Theater

There's so much out there.
Cheers
Pete

p.s. I'd love to see Tir na Nog again..they're still performing..but only in Ireland. Maybe when I'm retired and have more days at my disposal :)
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Diane

Post by Diane » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:16 pm

Been racking my brains.

Since 2000:

Billy Joel
Pete
Henning
Bruce Springsteen x 3
Christy Moore x 3
Queen
Rolling Stones
Mark Knopfler
Alice Cooper
Bon Jovi x 2
Kris Kristofferson
Waterboys
Anjani
Whole Lotta Metal x 3 (Great band with Tony Martin doing all the old rock classics)
All at the Berlin LC event
All at the Came so far for Beauty tribute in Dublin 06 x 2
Robert Plant (with Arthur Brown)
REM
Glass Book of Longing x 2

Sure there's more but I can't remember.

Missed Genesis as they were on in Twickenham the day we met Leonard Cohen at his art show in Manchester. Missing Bruce Springsteen just down the road from me in Cardiff on one of the days I am seeing Leonard Cohen in Ireland this summer. The sacrifice of it!
Last edited by Diane on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
gingermop

Post by gingermop » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:07 am

Pete wrote:Hi John,
You guessed right..and the old heroes are still going strong...and I've discovered some new heroes.
These are the artists I havent seen and would hope to one day..
Porcupine Tree
Blimey, Porcupine Tree... never met anyone else who even knows who they are!

G

PS Note to John E : They're on the post-2000 CD I sent you!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:19 am

Hi Diane,

It sounds like you're no stranger to stadium rock, so I guess that the recent struggle to get Leonard tickets wasn't too much of a surprise for you! I've seen several of the artists that you mention myself, but not for some years..these include the Stones, Alice Cooper, Dire Straits, and Bruce Springsteen. I rapidly lost interest in the Stones after the Brian Jones/Mick Taylor eras. I last saw them at Earls Court in 1976 on the day after Leonard's concert at The Royal Albert Hall (it just didn't feel right, as I was on such a high from the night before). I was given a free ticket for Alice Cooper in 1973 (at the time of "Schools Out") and enjoyed it. I haven't seen Springsteen live for about ten years. I'd still like to see him, but it always feels like to much of an effort to get good seats.
I used to see Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) in the early days, but my interest waned around the time of "Lamb Lies Down".

I'm probably one of the only people who have turned down two opportunities to see Led Zepellin. I had a free ticket to see them at a BBC Radio show in 1968, but didn't go because I didn't feel like going out and didn't know who they were, at the time). I then sold a ticket that I had to see them at the Marquee, as I was worried that my ears may not survive to hear another gig! Incidentally, I hear that Quintessence are planning a comeback with Arthur Brown in the band (either they must have got into hellfire, or he must have got into Krishna!).

All good things, John E

Return to “Other music”