Leonard Cohen Nights - News and Info!

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:30 pm

Hi Kim,

My understanding/interpretation of your plans [having gone to your site and read it all when you first provided the link] is that the germaine issue is that your plans are to replicate the already popular practice of Robert Burns Nights, with Leonard as the one being honoured. The timing for its/their inception is, at once, both the most obvious, yet purely coincidental, choice of Leonard's birthday.

Subsequent Leonard Cohen Night events would not necessarily have to occur on Leonard's birthday, and would automatically [by virtue of date-of-occurrence alone, even aside from its format] no longer constitute one of the already popular, celebrations of his birthday. There are many different formats/venues for the presentation of music. Piano recitals, chamber music, and concerts bear no resemblance to one another. In another realm, all apples are fruit, yet all fruit is not apples.

That's my understanding, and I wish you the best for your event. I think it's a great idea.

~Lizzytysh
MeMe

Post by MeMe » Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:16 pm

The more I read the less I want to know. Too much self interest at heart.
Natalie

Post by Natalie » Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:24 pm

Dr. Solez,

By the way, Victoria is not the same as Vancouver. Victoria is on Vancouver Island, and Vancouver is on the mainland. I guess, being an American, though, that your understanding of Canadian geography is somewhat limited.

This is not a best of the West competition, and I am simply delighted that you are putting Edmonton on the map. It is my hometown, and I do have irrevocable ties to it. I have fond memories watching my cousin play hockey for the Edmonton Oilers at the formerly known Northlands Coliseum (it is now called Skyreach Centre -- I don't know how long you've lived in Edmonton for). I went to university there, and have friends and family who still live there. I moved to Victoria because I couldn't stand the horrible bitter cold winters of the city. You have to agree with me on that. Edmonton is very cold in the winter. If my memory serves me correctly, September 2000 (even at the beginning) had sub-zero temperatures.

You must have good taste, because you like Leonard Cohen.

Our event will not be like yours; it is on a much smaller scale. If 5 people show up to play Leonard Cohen songs, or read poetry, I will be very happy. It is also not about self-promotion. It is about the promotion of Leonard Cohen's work in the last 45 years. We at the Victoria Writers' Society are doing it to celebrate Mr. Cohen, and raise money for our magazine. We do not have the financial backing that you do, being a doctor yourself, and organizing the event with other doctors. Every dollar we earn is one that we've worked very hard to get. The venue that we obtain for the event has to be donated to us, because we can't afford the cost of renting a facility. We are not in danger of having the event, because owners of coffee houses have already offered their building to house it; we are now in the decision-making process of deciding which one to use.

Again, good luck, and I hope your "prototype" is successful.

Best wishes,
Natalie

P.S. I have told friends and family in Edmonton to get tickets quickly as they will be gone soon. :wink:
Andrew (Darby)

Leonard Cohen Nights

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:44 pm

Hi everyone!

I've obviously been sleeping :o - I hadn't realised there was a debate raging in this forum around Kim's Leonard Cohen Nights vision. Perhaps the waters have been muddied by the Edmonton Journal reportage, but I would like to make the following comments in the hope of some clarification and mediation. I used the word 'vision', above, with deliberation, as I believe there is a clear difference in Kim's conceptualisation of Leonard Cohen Nights and the intent of some of us others (or at least me) who have been holding such nights for a number of years in our various locales. I understand that ideally Kim would like to see these nights happening simultaneously around the world on LC's birthday, with some sort of cyber-linking or other realisation of the potential of technology, to enhance the experience for many others around the globe. He has indicated to me that he was galvanised into action by observing how Robbie Burns nights operated and he developed his idea out of this. So I expect his initiative is original in terms of an LC focus with technological enhancement.

I have been honest with Kim about not being as optimistic about the likelihood of this spreading in the way he envisages it could and in cautioning against being too formulaic. Nevertheless, I have wished him luck from the outset, indicating my preparedness to offer moral support and collaborate in terms of mutual promotion of our respective events. On that basis I am happy to be a part of the launch of these type of nights in Edmonton and really appreciate Kim's efforts to involve me and have me present and performing on the night.

I don't particularly care what the driving vision is (as long as it's not morally questionable), I just enjoy seeing LC's work being promoted and enjoyed by all sorts of people, in all sorts of places, in all sorts of ways. (However, I do hope that within all the hype and fun etc his work - with all its artistic depth and merit - is not lost or devalued.) I'm sure my Toowoomba event in 1993 wasn't the first time someone somewhere thought to celebrate his work in some low key, semi-serious but fun way. It's amusing to think that I kicked off in Toowoomba with the idea of it being just a practice run for his 60th birthday (1994)! I didn't foresee that it would take on a life of its own in this little corner of Australia and slowly grow in popularity over the years - with cyber-promotion (viz. Jarkko's site) providing a significant boost in terms of interest in attending! Having said this, it is not my ambition to have our Toowoomba event grow exponentially by compromising its ultimate purpose - in fact, even now I am a little concerned that it might grow in popularity just because of some vague entertainment value derived from it.

Anyway, the most reassuring thing of all, in the context of the last five to ten years of technological development, is to realise that as individual aficionados we are not alone in our appreciation of LC - we are not some strange mutation that is off some alien planet (well at least I think not :? )! I believe that Kim is aiming to make that clear in his own way, by contributing to LC's work becoming more widely known and appreciated.

In conclusion, despite some earlier misgivings, at this point I accept (in good faith) Kim's genuineness and integrity, otherwise I could not be supportive of this perhaps ambitious venture.

Cheers,
Andrew (Darby) :)
WHOA

Post by WHOA » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:53 pm

WHOA!

Dr. Solez,

First, sorry your life has been out of balance.

Second, I worked twelve years for a newspaper in a major city. And if there is one thing a reporter knows to do - it's to take notes when interviewing a subject. It is surprising how often someone who has been interviewed will later raise objections about the accuracy with which they are quoted. Perhaps you should contact the reporter, Todd Babiak, and complain to him of this injustice? Or better yet, speak to his editor.

Third, your announcement on Hydra about Leonard Cohen Nights was a triffle disingenuous. Especially the part about how you were "...looking to hear from someone who was really upset with the idea...". Such a remark is calculated to stiffle disapproval or opposition. In American football this is known as an "end run". And in philosphy as Machiavellianism.

Cheers,
Whoa

P.S. To Andrew: Thank you for your response - and I do wish the Cohen fans in Edmonton success in September.
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:44 pm

No Whoa, my intention was to invite dissent and in you I finally found it!

Todd Babiak's reply to the inaccuracies in his story was:

"I am an idiot!"

An absolute defense you must admit! lol! But not a very helpful analysis of the situation!

Thanks for wishing us well. I appreciate that!

Cheers. - Kim
Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:55 pm

This is a little excerpt from Rosemary Sullivan's book [iThe Red Shoes: Margaret Atwood starting out :

Margaret (Atwood) wrote to Gwen (Macewan) that they were faced with packing and pulling up stakes, but they would be "very glad to shake Edmonton off our feet. It wasn't catastrophic but would have been if we'd stayed." (236)

That's how I feel about Edmonton, too.

Oh, and Dr. Solez, you still haven't answered me as to what you're doing with the proceeds of your event. I checked your website, but I couldn't find that information. I e-mailed you three days ago, and you still have not replied.

Natalie
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez » Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:44 pm

Hi Natalie:

Sorry I overlooked your message which I have just read and replied to. You are the first person to complain about the price! I will be a unique event and we have people as young as 16 attending. Attendees will get a lot for their money!

I do give the necessary details on the website. I say we wil charge just what is necessary to cover our costs and that it wil be a nonprofit event. And that we will share budget details with others organizing Leonard Cohen events.

The financial details would be very boring for the people here but we are paying costs of visiting artists and subsidizing the UK and Australia events. And because of the recording and documentation and video conferencing and webcasting we have a lot of costs that will not be part of budgets for these events ever again. I do not think $20 is an unreasonable price for future events whcih will lack these added facets, it just does not fit our event this year.

It woudl give me the greatest pleasure to be working cooperatively with you and I hope we can start that phase very soon!

Cheers. - Kim
Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:10 am

Dr. Solez, and others,

I have been very harsh towards Edmonton as a city, and I think it's a perfect place for a tribute to Leonard Cohen.

10 Reasons why you should go to Edmonton . . .

10. You might be able to take in an Edmonton Oilers exhibition hockey game at Skyreach Centre : The Edmonton Oilers won 5 Stanley Cups in the late eighties and early nineties.

9. You can go to West Edmonton Mall, the world's biggest shopping centre to shop, play mini-golf, skate, go on the rides at an amusement park, frolic in the water at a gigantic indoor beach, and experience the decor of the Roman Room at the FantasyLand Hotel.

8. You can dine at Chianti's (my favourite Italian restaurant) located in historic Old Strathcona (82 Avenue, Whyte Avenue).

7. You can drink at my favourite lounge in the same area, located at Rosie's Restaurant. Ask Arnie for the best Caesar you'll ever have in your life.

6. While you're still in the area, check out the internationally recognized University of Alberta. The hospital is equipped with the finest in medical technology, and its staff are world class. The grounds of the U of A are spectacular, and check out the English department that was once the stomping ground of Leonard Cohen (and Bob Dylan) scholar, Stephen Scobie.

5. Go downtown, and take a tour of the Legislative Buildings. The architecture is incredible, and you will experience the magnificence of the capital of the province of Alberta, the richest province in Canada.

4. You must go shopping Downtown. For the discerning woman, looking for high fashion, go to Holt Renfrew; check out the shoes -- they're always to die for.

3. While you're downtown, check out the scenery. September is one of the nicest months in Edmonton with the changing colours of leaves accenting the river valley.

2. Go to Hy's downtown if you're a beef lover. You will never get a better steak anywhere else in the world. Alberta is prime beef country. I have to stop; my mouth is starting to water.

1. You have to go to Edmonton. Leonard Cohen wrote "Sisters of Mercy" there, and he also wrote a poem about the city. What a wonderful place to celebrate this soon-to-be 68 year old!

Cheers,
Natalie
Eve

Post by Eve » Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:27 pm

no longer available
Last edited by Eve on Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:56 pm

Eve,

A Caesar is a beverage made with clamato juice, vodka, worcestshire sauce, and tobasco sauce, usually garnished with a celery stalk.

There may be other parts to the drink, but I think those are the main ingredients.

Have fun in Edmonton!

Cheers,
Natalie
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez » Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:08 am

We now have full info about how to get tickets as well as accommodation options on http://www.leonardcohennights.org . Below the "How to Get Tickets" section is an illustrated and linked reproduction of Natalie's "10 reasons" post above where you can see what those things actually look like!

Cheers. - Kim
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:31 am

We now have very nice posters for the Edmonton event designed by Eve Bohakel with the new Boogie Street painting by Elizabeth Laishley as the centerpiece: http://www.leonardcohennights.org/enthu ... boogie.jpg

If you would like posters to distribute locally please write to us at leonardcohennights@hotmail.com and let us know your postal address and how many posters you would like.

Thanks!

Cheers. - Kim
ann@fjnco.freeserve.co.u

Re: Leonard Cohen Nights - News and Info!

Post by ann@fjnco.freeserve.co.u » Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:46 pm

Is it true that Leonard is appearing in Leicester (near Birmingham UK) on Saturday Septemb 2002???? Please let me know asap.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:31 pm

No, he isn't!!

What about the Leicester Night this year - Kim or Lizzie,
please let our visitors know if there are changes in the
initial plans as suggested in the emails.

Jarkko

Return to “Other gatherings”