Buxton, England 1st Sept.

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
liverpoolken

Re: Buxton, England 1st Sept.

Post by liverpoolken »

goodness me diane i have just returned from london after seeing andrew scott's magnificent take on hamlet and as much as i try i have to say i can't see any connection between the prince of denmark and the 'prince of yorkshire'...but anyways about time we started thinking about our weekend in buxton.....

seeing as we are calling it a walking weekend methinks we should start thinking of a planning a walk on the saturday...there are plenty of easy circular walks starting and finishing in buxton ....i was thinking of choosing a walk were we could have a traditional pub lunch somewhere on the way...

so any suggestions?.....i'm sure pete must have an idea or two.....

i will start with suggesting the 5 mile walk from buxton to dove holes ...although not a circular walk we could get to dove holes for lunch and have a mosey around...hourly trains back to buxton which only takes 8 minutes...or alternatively buxton to chapel-en-le-frith...ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Diane

Post by Diane »

Ken, you're right of course. The Prince of Yorkshire is far more complex, poetic and funny.

Your suggestions sound good to me. I don't know the area, and if nobody else shows up here to bash out a plan, maybe the group is sufficiently small that we can sort our itinerary in the pub on the first night there?
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

i know paula has already booked her train so i was wondering what time folk are arriving on friday...time for lunch or dinner?...or dinner or tea as we say up north...hopefully everybody will be around in the evening...i can arrive anytime friday and can head home anytime on sunday.....looking forward to meeting up again with the orignal leonard cohen walking group...t

ta ken
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am arriving at 4 p.m. in Buxton on the Thursday and leaving at 1:30 p.m. on the Sunday.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
margaret

Post by margaret »

Hi folks,
I have been totally out of reach on holiday after leaving home without my phone, which I have just found stuck down the side of the seatbelt holder of my car after a short journey I made before going away.

John and I will be arriving on Thursday for 3 nights so can pick up some information from the tourist office. I had hoped to have a night away in Buxton before our weekend to "test the water" but life has been a bit busy!
I will need a shorter walk on Friday before I can work up to a 5 mile one!

Margaret
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

diane...i love your idea of planning our walks in the pub the night beforehand...i have so many happy memories of our previous planning meetings in pubs....ta ken
drunk4.jpg
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

as has been suggested we can choose our saturday walk in the pub on friday night...but howsabout a little walk up to solomon's temple on friday?...it's only a 1.3 mile 30/40 minute walk up from the town and the views from up there are fantastic....so who is around from say noon on friday?..i will be arriving sometime between 10 and 11am...anybody up for it?....; - ))))

http://www.buxtononline.net/solomons-temple-c41.html
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

the walk up solomon's temple...ta ken
sol5.jpg
sol4.jpg
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

views from solomon's temple...i think it would it would make a nice start to the weekend...ta ken
sol6.jpg
sol3.jpg
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

great arial shot looking down on solomon's temple..buxton in the top right hand corner

sol8.JPG

and the clincher ...we can do that tower of pisa thing....ta ken

sol7.JPG
Attachments
sol8.JPG
margaret

Post by margaret »

Thanks Ken for all that. Did you have a day out in Buxton?

I re-did a local walk yesterday to lead a group of 12 -15 today,
and got so lost that for a time I panicked about finding my way back to where I left my car!
See you soon.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

hi margaret...

no I haven't been doing a recee just photos i pulled from the interweb...seeing as the walk is only a few weeks away I thought I would do some research for handy walks around buxto

I also came across the ring of trees walk...which seems to circle around the town and it keeps on the flat...although 10 miles in length you can leave it at many points along the way...sounds like a nice pleasant woodland walk...just something else to consider....ta ken

http://buxtoncivicassociation.org.uk/woodlands/
margaret

Post by margaret »

Noon on Friday seems a good idea. we can meet outside our lodgings to go to Solomons temple.

Margaret
(got a bit lost again this morning and took a different route again. Thankfully there was safety in numbers and someone with GPS on their phone!)
Paula

Post by Paula »

Noon on Friday would be perfect we only really have two full days. I think it's a good idea
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Tony and I were hoping to join you all in Buxton. However, I realised after I booked the hotel that I am supposed to be in Gateshead on 2 Sept and was wondering whether it made any sense to spend just Thursday & Friday night in Buxton on the way north. A walk on Friday would be great if we can sort out the logistics.

Wendy

Return to “Other gatherings”