Possible 2011 Meet-Up in Perth, Western Australia

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Greg Ross

Possible 2011 Meet-Up in Perth, Western Australia

Post by Greg Ross »

Salutations fellow Cohen fans

There are the wonderful traditional biennial meet-ups in place (the next in Krakow in 2010), however distance is a problem for many of us who dwell in the southern hemisphere.

Andrew Darbyshire ran a lovely event in Toowoomba (Queensland) for several years, but has now moved to Melbourne (Victoria), so I got to thinking that perhaps there was an opportunity to organise a Cohen Meet-Up way out in the West, down by the Indian Ocean.

Of course, this would probably appeal more to Australian, New Zealand and South African fans, but my intention would be to make it open for everyone from all over the world, as it seems a lot of people would like to see Perth and Western Australia, although be warned, it’s a massive State (five times larger than Texas!).

The obvious time to hold it would be in between the major meet-up events, so I’m thinking of 2011, ideally in either February or March (the weather will be magnificent). For me, March is easier, as I’m the marketing manager for a theatre company that will be presenting a major new work in early February. I’m playing around with the first week of March, perhaps finishing with a music concert at a winery, (and I've got a great idea for that concert!)

I guess the next thing to do, is ascertain if anybody would be interested in attending, so I can see if the idea is viable. Obviously a full programme of events would be organised and deals put in place with accommodation (I have a tourism and events background).

I should also add that I don’t intend it to be a money making concern, rather a gathering of friends from around the globe, to celebrate the music we have been given, nor should it be ‘my’ event, help and advice will be warmly and gladly received.

If you are interested, have any suggestions, (in whatever capacity), please email me at: gregross7@bigpond.com
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
seadove

Re: Possible 2011 Meet-Up in Perth, Western Australia

Post by seadove »

Aren't you stretching it a bit dear Greg? A lot of water will fall off the Niagara Falls till 2011. :(
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

But this would be a rather large-scale event, only about a year and a half away... It definitely needs good planning and preparation well in advance, and Greg is a very thorough organizer! Also, it would involve long-distance travelling for most participants, and they, too, may want to plan ahead a little for what may be, for some of them at least, their first visit to Australia...
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
seadove

Post by seadove »

Womanfromaroom wrote:But this would be a rather large-scale event, only about a year and a half away... It definitely needs good planning and preparation well in advance, and Greg is a very thorough organizer! Also, it would involve long-distance travelling for most participants, and they, too, may want to plan ahead a little for what may be, for some of them at least, their first visit to Australia...
So you are suggesting that I bury 15,000 dollars today for what I may or may not get a year and a half later? :cry: I guess booking a ticket to the moon through Virgin aurlines might be the same thing. :roll:
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

No, of course not - but "planning" comes down to more than to making a definite booking, doesn't it??! Are you bored, seadove? You strike me as a tad provocative today... ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
seadove

Post by seadove »

Womanfromaroom wrote:No, of course not - but "planning" comes down to more than to making a definite booking, doesn't it??! Are you bored, seadove? You strike me as a tad provocative today... ;-)

I was bored until now. ;-)

Return to “Other gatherings”