LISBON meetup?

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Vivamus

Re: LISBON meetup?

Post by Vivamus »

Or we could all go over to yours & grill some sardines off your hotel balcony. ;-)
Vivamus

Post by Vivamus »

It occurs to me that I've been working under the impression that they won't open the gates until 9 (so we'd be queuing before then), but it's been so long since I've been to one of these things that I've forgotten the protocol. Anyone know?

We'll probably all have plenty of time to get to know one another in the queue, eh?
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Ha ha :) I'd enjoy being the hostess to 10 or 12 people in one small room apartment.....very cosy....And Sardines!!!....Ive been hanging out for coming to Lisbon for them...I just love! :D sardines on toast and the only place you get them over here is in a can with spring water...then I get told off for the smell.....(He has absolutely no culture does he ;-) I had been thinking after reading about the local seafood that I would ensure I had plenty...But ha ha I guess grilling them on the deck would also not be conducive to hotel management's idea of quiet inoffensive guests??).....I had also thought about inviting you over as well..especially given what you are saying about the hernia...Are you bringing some fold up chairs so that he can go sit down near the back if he needs to??....Oh never mind Im sure we'll all sort it out.....have you booked your hotel yet??
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Sardines on a balcony sound like fun. Be sure to bring plenty of melba toast?
Now that is something I know I could not get my Alberta raised hubby to agree to.
But seafood glorious seafood! We lived in Halifax some years ago and developed a love affair
for the stuff. When I returned from Alberta to defend a thesis at 7.5 months pregnant, with my (now 17 year old ) son I ate so much seafood that I could not look at it for awhile. Now my son refuses all forms of meat
except seafood. Since he is not coming on this trip I haven't told him all the details 8)
Besides Leonard of course, the thought of fresh seafood, is one of the next most appealing
lures. Leonard and lobster? Leonard and >>>>? What kinds of seafood is Portugal famous for--help me out here vivamus and new zealander. Where is Magda hiding herself?
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Magda has possibly got tired of all this English speaking chit chat??...And hey!!..I just was looking at the calendar as I was trying to put some form and organisation to the rest of my trip and I see that it is a full moon on the night of the concert!!...wooohoo!..we will really be in our element with romantic music from our fabulous poet and the full moonlight overhead and on the water...... :) :)

But seriously Ive had it on very good authority from one wise Portuguese man that there will likely be hundreds of people milling around the Mexican place, if you are looking for a good relaxed meal then probably somewhere away from the immediate vicinity and just getting there in good time will be the thing to do.....so for now Im all thought out....and also if St Theresa you're staying in town, and also possibly Vivamus and Magda??...Noone else seems to have popped up to go..perhaps the first two ideas of either the Irish Pub (in town) or the Belem pastry shop (for a coffee) are still the best....???... (But does that close late afternoon??)....

Oh this is all becoming too hard!.. :roll: :roll:
Vivamus

Post by Vivamus »

st. theresa- I'd have thought grilled sardines were pretty "famously" Portuguese; that's why I mentioned them. I possibly have a skewered view, being Algarvean... but I'll tell you these are a local delicacy that you should try out if you're into seafood (by which I mean food that SERIOUSLY tastes of the sea):

http://www.mytinykingdom.com/2007/04/02 ... google-it/

Otherwise, I think 'Ameijoas a Bulhao Pato' are relatively famous:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod/R101907.jsp
Vivamus

Post by Vivamus »

As you all are fans of seafood, how about this then for a suggestion- It's just a little further down the beach, towards Oeiras:

http://www.praiacaffe.com/

Also, New Zealander- 'Fess up & share with the rest of the class: Does Luis have insider information on how busy the Mexican will be? Is there a rival Portuguese-language meeting being held there? I'll probably book a table for myself closer to the time, but I can believe with that top location, it would be busy during that time of year, regardless of concert.

..That probably applies to the link above as well, come to think of it.

So, just to review: Would people be down with drinks/coffee/wiggly sea nibbles at 5 or 6 pm, say at that Praia Caffe, or would we be more comfortable with something earlier (4 ish) at the Belem pastry place? I think the Irish Bar is a better for after the concert- I have had dinner there once, and it's not Portuguese fare, in fact it's kinda mediocre pub grub (in my modest opinion, of course).

Just trying to finalise something, if that's still possible. :D
Vivamus

Post by Vivamus »

By the way, when I said sardines, I meant like this:

http://www.gonomad.com/features/0609/li ... dines.html

Sometimes I forget that most people have only ever had them out of a tin!
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Wow thanks Vivamus for your informative links. Sardines in Portugal sure aren't like the ones we have here. I can't wait to try them --but if the article you sent is right, we may not find them at the Praia Cafe. That cafe looks lovely--Is there a train from Lisbon --We are going to rent a car--but I don't know if that would be the best way to go as it sounds like the train might be more convenient.
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Hey Vivamus,
I love your wee picture...that must be your house??....I was posting before after waking to see all your beautiful seafood links....remember I am there for three days..by the time you get there you may not want to know old "fish breath"..!! that seafood restaurant along the waterfront looks looks lovely I can tell you I will be wandering along there long before you arrive...But you can keep your barnacles...we also grow the clams out front of my place and they export to Europe ..so I'll stick with the sardines and prawns eh...
Anyway, back to Luis, yes he did tell me that there would be a lot of people milling around that area (by the Mexican) as the gates open..Now he has already had an arrangement for a long time to go into the city to meet a friend at the Irish pub...so we need to respect that. As I will be seeing then earlier (I think) then hopefully we can make an arrangement that we meet up again at the concert.....And meantime I will leave all the other decisions on venue to you.....

Now Vivamus, all those links you keep sending are amazing..you should be working for Portuguese Tourism Department!!.. ;-) ;-) ;-) ..bye all..(Magda I remember what you said about only needing a coffee at that time, we need to make sure that is also on the list of where we go!)...
cheers.. :)
Vivamus

Post by Vivamus »

I just had a closer look at the maps, and it would appear that Praia Caffe is pretty distanced from the venue. The Pasteis de Belem cafe is much closer, and according to their website, open all day. They have a pretty funky virtual tour function on it too:

http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt

Here's the distance between the cafe & the venue:
http://tinyurl.com/5pqh4b

Belem & Alges are adjoining stations on the train route, and Belem station is right by the cafe. Trains appear to run on the half hour on weekends (page 4 of the following document):

http://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Imagens/PD ... _verao.pdf

And if you're staying in Lisbon proper, apparently the fun way to get to Belem would be Tram 28:

http://www.golisbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83 The Carris site has more specific info (and an English language option): http://www.carris.pt

Do it virtually here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YiHO5jZYY4

We're driving, but I anticipate getting to and fro mostly by taxi, 'cause that's just the way I roll (and they're cheap!). The following site has transport suggestions, but I just find it a terrific guide in general for anyone planning a trip to Lisbon:

http://www.golisbon.com/transport/transport.html

....You know, the more I'm on here trying to concretise plans, the more confused I end up. Are we back to the Belem cafe idea? About 5pm? 6?
magdasto

Post by magdasto »

i'm still alive... almost... well, sort of... horribly tired...
desperately need coffee now (despite the late hour: 10.15 PM) and the day of the concert as well... :lol: we'll be arriving early afternoon, there's some 215 km from Badajoz, which makes at least two hours, providing there won't be much traffic. I will have to give my Baby her lunch before I leave kids with my brother in law (as he's got three of his own), which means we'll be leaving at the earliest at 1.30 PM. (12.30 AM, Portuguese time). still haven't got a place to stay. my husband insists in something small and romantic, sort of a places we used to stay at before becoming parents... but we don't have time to look for anything!!!
and i've just realised i wasn't paid a single euro since november!!! that's why i hate working for public administration... it works so slowly...
i'm in whatever you decide, however "pasteis de belem" would be my personal choice... seems reasonably close to the venue... and it's typical and tasty... yummy...
as for portuguese seefood there's a fish called roballo or something similar which is a pure delight...
take good care and send me some positive energy as I need to survive this week...
yours, magda
Beyond the myths and the masks the soul remains alone...
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

I feel for you Magda...I started my business all those years ago when my kids were little... :roll: trying to do justice to everything was not easy....and ha ha not much has changed ! :) ...So I think that you should say a time when you think you could comfortably make it to the pastry shop and we should be there eh??.....Personally I'd also like to fit in Luis Irish pub meal as well, it is "only a pub meal", but Id be interested just to see what an Irish pub meal is like on your side of the world. :razz: .but we'll see how it goes, I might still be able to fit it all in .. but first stop will be the pastry shop ..and hopefully Luis and I will have come up with some plan that I don't lose them at the concert!. :) ...Vivamus links to the pastry shop are good...it seems you go upstairs and they are the lift doors??..very grand...What is that in all those bottles around the walls??..I thought it was just a tea shop??
So anyway, some positive and understanding energy from over here my girl!.. what time Magda..at the pastry shop??.....
LuNo

Post by LuNo »

Hi Magda,

Robalo (Lubina en Castellano) is indeed a good choice but you should be sure that it was wild fish captured in the sea. Waterculture robalos (or trouts or "douradas") all looking alike with the same size (like mcdonald's burgers) are very common in supermarkets, are widely available and are cheaper, therefore many restaurants have them instead of the much better (but more expensive) wild capture fish (which isn't available everyday).

If you're coming from Badajoz you should stop for lunch in Alcochete (the small village on the south banks of the Tagus river, just before the Vasco da Gama bridge). Look for the restaurant called "Arrastão" - by the river, on the western part of the village - you'll find exquisite fish there ;-) .

Take care (have a nice sleep),
Luis

It's easy: All you need is Love [John Lennon]
Vivamus

Post by Vivamus »

New Zealander: Cafe culture is very important in Portuguese culture, but I've never been in a cafe that didn't serve booze as well (in fact, I've seen little old men having brandies with their coffee at 8 am, but I digress). A little on Lisbon cafes:

http://www.golisbon.com/food/cafeterias.html

That page will mention the most famous Lisbon cafe, an Art Nouveau institution called 'A Brasileira', which you probably shouldn't miss whilst in Lisbon. More info here:

http://tinyurl.com/69ebnp

I think there are emblematic turn-of-the-century cafes like this in most big cities in Portugal and Spain, e.g., Cafe Iruna in Bilbao, Els Quatre Gats in Barcelona (although that might be a little later); and I know there's one in Porto too, but I can't remember the name. Where all the artists and writers used to hang out. So of course they'd need booze, ha!

That tour's a bit weird on the Belem pastry shop site, I will admit- I think the up arrow is supposed to signify straight ahead, i.e., that's the view as you walk in on the ground floor.

Also, here I am shilling all these restaurantes in my new role as amateur tour guide (for a city I don't even know!), and I can't believe I haven't mentioned the Casa do Alentejo:

http://www.casadoalentejo.pt

You really should go there if you've got the time.

Return to “Other gatherings”