The collector.

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
ForYourSmile

The collector.

Post by ForYourSmile » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:49 pm

These days I have been updating my collection of Cohen's stuff. This takes time and suddenly one can feel a little freak. I needed to explain it to myself and I wrote this:
This is the last update of my collection, Dec 2007. It reaches 580 different covers in 14 languages (more instrumentals) interpreted for up to 300 singers or groups. I have 57 Suzannes in 12 languages and 48 Hallelujahs.

The first one is "Suzanne" of Judy -Blue Eyes- Collins of 1966 in her album "In my life" with "Dress Rehearsal Rag" too. Cohen published "Suzanne" on his first disc in December 1967 and "Dress Rehearsal Rag" in the third one in 1971. Really Judy Collins went forward.

Leonard Cohen likes the covers, in some occasion he said that someone has completed a not finished song. They are developments of an artwork, in moments they can take debatable or definitively wrong ways, in any case always it seems to me interesting to observe how they evolve, because they are of interpretations of pieces saw for another fan. The one who chooses Leonard's song to do a version also admires him.

In this last years the worship has demonstrated on whole discs dedicated to Cohen and in tribute concerts of multiple and important musicians, for example the "Came so far for beauty" of Sydney 2005, Dublin 2006 or the "Acuerdos con... " in Spain 2006 and 2007. A wonderful wealth.

My collection is small if we see the one of Jarkko Arjatsalo with his 1365 covers (Nov. 2007) Leonard Cohen Files - Covers. I use this site as a pattern and for to look information. Also I include links to this site. Jarkko's criteria are stricter than mine, I agree to include versions taken from audience, with few quality. In his list the songs have to be published in disc.

Neither he accepts covers of songs not written by Cohen, as "The Partisan". A collection like that show the Leonard's increasing value beyond the hit parades.

"... Et qu'en fais-tu?
- Je les gère. Je les compte et je les recompte, dit le businessman. C'est difficile. Mais je suis un homme sérieux!
Le petit prince n'était pas satisfait encore.
- Moi, si je possède un foulard, je puis le mettre autour de mon cou et l'emporter. Moi, si je possède une fleur, je puis cueillir ma fleur et l'emporter. Mais tu ne peux pas cueillir les étoiles!" Le Petit Prince, chapitre XIII, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

("... And what do you do with them?"
"I administer them," replied the businessman. "I count them and recount them. It is difficult. But I am a man who is naturally interested in matters of consequence."
The little prince was still not satisfied.
"If I owned a silk scarf," he said, "I could put it around my neck and take it away with me.
If I owned a flower, I could pluck that flower and take it away with me.
But you cannot pluck the stars from heaven…")

My darling Petit Prince, we enjoy listening them.
My web site is below in my signature, just is a list of the things of my collection.

Maybe someone wants to share his opinions about the collecting, why accumulate things and how the others observed us. ;-)
lizzytysh

Re: The collector.

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:24 pm

Dear ForYourSmile ~

I'm inspired by the catalogues of collectors.

I admire you and Tom and Jarkko and others; for I am not nearly so organized, as to be able to do such a thing. Would I love to be able to reference an index and reach for and find that for which I'm looking? You bet! Would I love to be able to share with someone something specific I have in mind, by only doing those things? You bet!

My kudos to all of you... I'm glad you include that which Jarkko wishes to exclude. Each of your justifications for doing and not doing it are wholly understandable.

Keep on collecting... all of you 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”