CD samplers and a vinyl single to promote the Re-issues

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
jarkko
Site Admin

CD samplers and a vinyl single to promote the Re-issues

Post by jarkko » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:37 am

Sony has released no less than three different sampler albums to promote the first set of re-issues.
One of the samplers come with an EPK DVD. (EPK = Electronic Press Kit).
For collectors they re-released a vinyl single (original issue in 1971 in Spain!).

All these are now featured on the Files at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/rempromo.html
Birdonawire

Re: CD samplers and a vinyl single to promote the Re-issues

Post by Birdonawire » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi Jarkko,

Are these samplers and vinyl single on general release? Do you know if they are available in Ireland. If not how and where can I get my greedy little hands on them?? :?
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:37 am

Wow birdonawire.
Those lyrics on your page, about the attic and stars, are cool.
Is Patrick Kavanagh n Irish songwriter?
I like Damien Rice and he's Irish.
My grandmother was Irish.
Thank you
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi B.
all those are promotional issues that are sent to media free of charge, and are not for sale anywhere (except the vinyl single which is used as a bonus gift to buyers of the remasters - unfortunately I don't know where). You should contact your local Sony company and ask whether they have any promo CDs left. I have seen copies already at eBay.

Andy Jones has informed me that there is one more collectible - a special "Radio record" made for radio stations - it has special contents with interviews etc. It will be featured on The Files - and here - as soon as I get more info (or an original copy)!

PS. both Tom and I have got confirmation from various sources that the next set of remasters is on hold, and a later release date will be announced as soon as decisions have been made.

This means that we will NOT get the second set this fall (it was supposed to include Various Positions, I'm Your Man and The Future).
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:28 pm

Croatian SonyBMG company has indeed confirmed in its Friday's PR news that "Cohen remasters will continue to appear". (!) (PR announcement was published because of the Croatian launch of Nadel's biography plus to publish the fact that first three remasters are going well on the market!)

In phone call I heard that they are "slowed down" so the new album can be released without any competition from Leonard himself:-) Nothing has been said except that "remasters are on hold for now"; the new PR doesn't mention dates at all anymore (while previous has announce next three albums for September).

I guess that means next three are on hold at least until early 2008 if new album is set to appear in October 2007, what's the date again repeated in this PR announcement. (The date is again confirmed from Sony European headqaurters it seems.)
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi Jarkko & Tom,

Thanks for the info. Looks like i'll have to do some good detective work if I want to get my hands on the samplers or vinyl. The game is afoot!!! 8) Hopefully, WHENEVER Sony decide to produce more re-releases they will included more goodies such as limited vinyl releases or DVD's. Some re-mastered concert footage would be great.

Hi dangermouse, looks like everyone has a spoonful or two of Irish in them. We seem to be like a genealogical virus; we're found everywhere! :D About the lyric, it's from a poem called My Room by Irish poet Patrick Kavanagh (1904-1967). You should check him out, he's really good. His poem The Great Hunger is incredible (and it's not, as its title would suggest, about the Irish famine, although it is about a famine of sorts), and he wrote the lyrics that later became the famous Irish song On Raglan Road.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”