Any chance this autographed bill is genuine?

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
pennsy

Any chance this autographed bill is genuine?

Post by pennsy »

Hello everyone,

A few years back I saved a U.S. $1 bill that had a Leonard Cohen poem and signature written on the back (see attached photo). At the time, I really had no idea who he was (sorry!) but now I am wondering if this could be an authentic signature and memorabilia item. After reading up on his life, I found the story of how he lost his fortune in 2004 very interesting, especially since the bill is from 2003 and the date below the signature is in 2005.

I am awaiting some feedback from JSA, which apparently does autograph verifications, but I have my doubts that the $40 I paid would yield a letter that actually matters.

In any case, I thought I would post this to the forum and see what everyone thinks. I'm not necessarily interesting in keeping it, but have no idea how to proceed if selling it.

Thanks in advance,
Brian in Pennsylvania, US
Attachments
Cohen dollar bill.jpg
HugoD

Re: Any chance this autographed bill is genuine?

Post by HugoD »

I can’t answer the question if it is genuine or not but. Leave that to the experts. But having said that there are two thing that stand out.
First the “signature “ it written with an other pen or marker which seems odd. And second the writing of the signature is different from the lines on the bill.

But nevertheless I is an exiting piece to have, as long as has any meaning to you enjoy it. Not everything in live is measured in money ;-)
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Diamonds in the mine

Post by Diamonds in the mine »

Leonard’s autograph has changed over the years
I have 3 or 4 genuine variants . The so called signature on the back of the dollar bill in my opinion is not at all genuine or authentic ….

Andy

Fan / collector….archivist of 35 years .
B4real

Post by B4real »

I also cannot say for sure if it is genuine but I don't think it is. One of my reasons for saying that is take a look to the left of my words here at my B&W avatar. It's Leonard's writing to me. He wrote those words to me on a rare The Future T-Shirt and gave it to me in 2015. Also, I agree his writing has (as has our own) changed a little over the years.
Anyway, I hope this info and my image helps. And whatever happens, I’m sure there’s an interesting story to be found out about your money note :)

EDIT: Pennsy,
Just for comparison, LC's style of writing in 2015 on my avatar is similar to that on Maarten's avatar, see here -https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 15#p378215
LC wrote that in 2005, the same year as written on your US $1 bill.
Maybe someone else went to an LC function that year and wrote the date as a memento of the occasion ;-)
This is the closest such event I can find -
http://www.leonardcohennights.org/newsletter-april.pdf
The event was in Edmonton, Canada on 24 Sept 2005 and the card was presented personally to LC mid Nov 2005.
Your US $1 bill is signed on 16 Nov 2005. Ah, it's fun to speculate :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
pennsy

Post by pennsy »

Thanks everyone. I agree with all comments, the poem is obviously not in LCs handwriting. And I think it would be a stretch to think the signature is genuine, unless someone asked him to sign the bill after penning their favorite poem? Or maybe the poem was added later? Too many improbabilities.

Then there's the way the date was written... whole numbers separated by a dot. There should be examples of how LC wrote his dates, I found a few written out in long form, so not the same.

In any case, I'll hold onto it for a little longer just for fun. Plus I do like the poem!

Kindest regards,
Brian
B4real

Post by B4real »

Just thought I’d add this. That poem of Leonard’s was also very prominently displayed on the home page of The LC Files (link on top of page here) many years ago. It was most likely still shown there at the time it was written on the dollar note. Maybe it was a forum member or at least, someone who visited The Files back then, saw it and for whatever reason added it to the note. It could be they simply liked it :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Cobainer

Post by Cobainer »

Wow how interesting! A colleague comments that it is not genuine, but if Leonard has changed his signature several times who knows. Take the bill to an expert and let us know.
A kurt cobain documentary allows us to understand the situation the singer was going through before his death.

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”