For sale : Wrist watch that belonged to Leonard Cohen

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
StephaneEhling

For sale : Wrist watch that belonged to Leonard Cohen

Post by StephaneEhling »

As Jarkko suggested to me, I'm posting this mail on the forum. Sorry, I don't want to retype all of it, so, it's just pasted :-) With Jarkko's answer

IF ANYONE INTERESTED, MAKE OFFER WILL SHIP IT ANYWHERE ARROUND THE WORLD WITH DESERVED CARE, INSURANCE AND SECURISATION

Hello my dear Jarkko,

Hope you remember me…. We met in Hydra in 2002… I’m Stephane Ehling (french webmaster, remember ?).

Here’s the object of this mail. I have this watch that belonged to Leonard himself.

Here’s the story of it : I was hanging out with my friend Seppo Pietikainen that time on Hydra. And he showed me this watch. I asked him “where did you get it ?”. He answered that he was one day in a taxi (in Finland if I remember well), with Leonard Cohen. When he noticed that watch on his wrist, Seppo said to Leonard “Oh well Leonard ! I see that now you have your own brand !”. Leonard asked Seppo if he liked the watch. Seppo said yes and Leonard gave it to him.

So I said to Seppo “Well my man, you’ve been lucky ! It’s a nice present”. Then Seppo asked me : “Do you like that watch Stephane ?”. Then I answered “Hell yes man !” and Seppo gave it to me !

Last time I saw Leonard in his house on Tremaine avenue (Los Angeles), a few months before he left us……….. I showed him the watch and told him the story. Before I finished talking, he said “Oh maaan, I remember that, I gave it to Henk in the back of a taxi cab !”

Well, he just seemed not to remember that it was actually Seppo Pietikainen and not Henk Hofstede !

Anyway, being know through a divorce and having two young children (Scarlett and Nino, twins, 4 years old), I find myself in a very important need of money and I am planning to sell this watch…

As you are to me the best person to estimate the value of this watch, please would you give me an idea ?

It’s all original. Of course it’s a bit old, so the bracelet has some stains (oxidation I guess). The watch is in good condition. On the back it’s written “18K micron plating”. So I guess it’s .750 gold. ????

I’ve allways kept the watch in the steelcase you see on the picture.

Waiting for your answer to sell the watch… Of course, if you’re interested, make me an offer and I woul be glad to FedEx it to you (like Leonard Cohen was always saying !). Each time he was sending a parcel, he would say “I’m fedexing it to you !”.

I miss him so much….

Kind regards,

Stephane Ehling

2 rue des trois Pigeons
31000 Toulouse
France

+33 670 755 133
stephaneehling@gmail.com

ADDED FOR FORUM : Don't ask me for any certificate. As you read the background story of this watch, how would I have any certificate ? It would be totally fake ! Anyway, Seppo Pietikainen himself, who is a very serious person and also very known (Former member of The Nitz), would confirm. Unfortunately, the second man who could help me has been gone to the farest skies...
HIGHEST RESOLUTION IMAGE CAN BE SENT ON DEMAND (I had to minify them to post them here)

JARKKO'S ANSWER

I know LC’s watches very well. In fact two different designs were made to promote The Future in 1993.

It’s possible that your watch is a somehow more expensive product than the other one.

Both watches are presented on this Files page: https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/fut-memo.html

Design with “The Future” words is more common. Many of my collector friends have it, and some also the version you’ve got.

I also got one from Leonard in 1999 when we met in Los Angeles. It was the last in the stock, with The Future words.

I have no idea what price to put on the watch. The background story is great but there is no direct proof of its origin. like something signed by Leonard (some collectors require such proofs).

You could post the pic & your story on our Forum in the Collector’s Corner and ask for offers. If this does not give any positive outcome, why not to try eBay (setting a minimum price)

Some first editions of L’s early books, signed by him, have given quite high prices at auctions, and in principle looks like collector’s interest is concentrating on signed items. Prices of collectibles that are of interest to hard core fans but not to general public are pretty cheap.

Please keep me updated!

Jarkko

PS. This year we will again have a gathering on Hydra, about 180 attendees already.
Attachments
20190220_171531.jpg
20190220_171523.jpg
Last edited by StephaneEhling on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
HugoD

Re: For sale : Wrist watch that belonged to Leonard Cohen

Post by HugoD »

Wow, that's a great story and I would love to have it. But I dare not make a bid because I have no clue what is a appropriate and reasonable price. And most likely it will be out of my range. Any thought's anyone?
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
StephaneEhling

Post by StephaneEhling »

HugoD wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:12 pm Wow, that's a great story and I would love to have it. But I dare not make a bid because I have no clue what is a appropriate and reasonable price. And most likely it will be out of my range. Any thought's anyone?
Hello Hugo,
Well then, I guess 100 euros is a honest price.
Let's say then 100 euros is fine for me. Shipping in Europe should be arround 15 euros. I'll pay for shipping.
So if anyone interested, I would just send my IBAN account number (No paypal). Accept bank payments from SEPA zone. And I'll send the watch as soon as I get the payment (normaly 2 working days from SEPA zone).
Just let me know...
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi

I was about to contact Stephane with an offer, but it looks as if the deal is already closed with Hugo. Hugo, if you decide not to buy this, let us know and I’ll send a bid to Stephane... But I don’t want to get in between you two, so I’ll wait in line...

All the best
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

StephaneEhling wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:45 pm
HugoD wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:12 pm Wow, that's a great story and I would love to have it. But I dare not make a bid because I have no clue what is a appropriate and reasonable price. And most likely it will be out of my range. Any thought's anyone?
Hello Hugo,
Well then, I guess 100 euros is a honest price.
Let's say then 100 euros is fine for me. Shipping in Europe should be arround 15 euros. I'll pay for shipping.
So if anyone interested, I would just send my IBAN account number (No paypal). Accept bank payments from SEPA zone. And I'll send the watch as soon as I get the payment (normaly 2 working days from SEPA zone).
Just let me know...
Yep, I would like to buy it fot that price, I will sent you an email so we can handle this offline

Thanks for your quick reply and Maarten thanks for your patience!
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Received the watch this weekend and am very happy with it. Thanks to Stephane for giving me the opportunity to buy this watch and also thanks to Maarten for his understanding and acting regarding the unfortunate misunderstanding that occurred. Will wear it with pride (occasionally)

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”