Books signed by LC (to Marianne) at Christie´s

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
jarkko
Site Admin

Books signed by LC (to Marianne) at Christie´s

Post by jarkko »

Two items of interest at the Christie's "Valuable Books and Manuscripts" Auction in London on July 11, 2018.

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot ... 8ee4959807
COHEN, Leonard (1934-2016). Let Us Compare Mythologies. Toronto: Contact Press for the McGill Poetry Series, 1956.

First edition of Leonard Cohen’s first book of poems, written in 1956, and presented to Marianne Ihlen in November 1960. Cohen had bought a house in Hydra in September 1960 and had only just met Marianne, who would become one his greatest muses. Let Us Compare Mythologies is a young poet experimenting with styles and beginning to explore themes ? Judeo-Christian imagery, philosophy, sexuality, death, a world of violent contrasts ? that would define his future literary and musical careers.

Octavo (203 x 135mm). 5 illustrated plates by Canadian artist Freda Guttman (tiny marginal stain in two leaves). Original black cloth, lettered in silver on spine (without the dustjacket). Autograph inscription in blue ink: 'For Marianne / with my love / Leonard / November 1960'. Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.

Estimate
GBP 7,000 - GBP 10,000
(USD 9,289 - USD 13,270)

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot ... 8ee4959807
COHEN, Leonard (1934-2016). The Spice-Box of Earth. [Toronto/Montreal:] McClelland and Stewart Limited, 1961.

First hardcover edition of Cohen’s second book of poetry, inscribed to his muse, Marianne. The book brought Cohen a measure of early literary acclaim, but despite the influential Canadian critic Robert Weaver's assessment of Cohen as 'the best young poet in English Canada', Cohen himself refused the label: 'I think the term poet is a very exalted term and should be applied to a man at the end of his work [...]. I would never assume that title unless it's been awarded me by a very good and long performance'.

Octavo (210 x 144mm). Half-title printed in green, headings in red, other text in black, numerous illustrations by Frank Newfield. Original patterned boards backed in black cloth, printed portrait vignette of the author, titled in red on upper cover, lettered in gilt on spine (without the dust-jacket). Autograph inscription in green ink: 'To Marianne / with all my love / Leonard / June 8 1961 / Montreal'. Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.

Esrtimate GBP 5,000 - GBP 8,000
(USD 6,635 - USD 10,616)
Thanks to A Sukitu for the hint!
Photos linked from the Christie's website
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Re: Books signed by LC (to Marianne) at Christie´s

Post by HugoD »

There are 6 items on sale with reference to LC. They all come from the descendants of Marianne Ihlen.
4 books and 2 pieces of jewelry.

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/sea ... rd%20Cohen
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”