WTB signed LC photo

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
quietman57

WTB signed LC photo

Post by quietman57 »

Hi, it's my wife's 60th birthday soon as well as our 40th wedding anniversary. As she's been a lifelong fan I'd like to get her a genuine signed LC photo, approx 10x8, as a present. Could anyone recommend a reliable source and if possible give me an idea of what is a reasonable price to pay? Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
mutti

Re: WTB signed LC photo

Post by mutti »

That is an interesting question. I have 2 items that Leonard signed personally for me on 2 separate occasions. I cherish them and the memories of the conversations at the time will always be with me.
That being said I just turned 65 and as a surprise my 2 older brothers and their families bought me exactly what you are looking for. My nephew is in the music business in Canada and did some research and my oldest brother did the buying. It came in the mail and is a beautiful photograph of Leonard signed by him. The company got a Certificate of Authenticity which is enclosed. I love the photo! It is beautiful and I had read somewhere it was taken by Leonard's daughter. But I also have mixed feelings about it.
I have seen people line up to get Leonard posters signed and in my gut knew they were reselling them as they had about 5 at a time. This saddened me.
I felt awkward having it at first. Then I realized how much love and care my family put into getting this for my birthday especially as they used to tease me about going to so many concerts etc.
My brother bought the photograph on EBay. He used to buy sports memorabilia and found someone he had heard of selling it. The cost although I am not supposed to know was about $400 US. I find that outrageous and can't believe they spent so much but they really wanted to get me something special that I would like. As I said at first I didn't want it as I didn't want to support these people who made so much money by getting Leonard to sign their posters. This is a photograph so not sure how they got signed.
Now a month later I am happy to have it and am going to get it framed this week. I feel at least one of these found its way to someone who appreciates it even though I personally would never have bought one. I have a special place I am going to hang it. It's a beautiful gesture and I will never forget it.
I think its a lovely thing to get your girlfriend.
Look on EBay. I may still be able to find who the seller was if I have the wrapping so pm me if you would like the name but there are a few out there.
Good luck!
Leslie PY 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
quietman57

Post by quietman57 »

Thank you so much for your reply. Try not to think how your item started out but that a kind family gesture ensured it ended up with someone who truly appreciated it. I'm a little reluctant to go the eBay route as I'd be gutted if I gave my wife something that wasn't genuine after all these years of putting up with me. I'll keep looking, you never know I might get lucky, thanks again.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

People who buy signed items should be very careful - there are many forgeries around.
During my webmaster years I have got numerous scans from people who are asking if Leonard's signature is genuine or fake. Often it is probably genuine but several times it has been easy to see that Leonard's name has been written by somebody else.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”