DVDs: New titles but always same contents

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
jarkko
Site Admin

DVDs: New titles but always same contents

Post by jarkko »

Many internet shops (including Amazon) offer various DVD titles with exactly the same contents.
I've been emailing about this problem with Dominique Boile (who has all titles in his collection), and here is a summary.

These are the first releases:

Under Review 1934 - 1977, single DVD
Under Review 1978 - 2006, single DVD

Next editions - new titles but identical footage!

The Early Years = Under Review 1934 - 1977, single DVD
After The Gold Rush = Under Review 1978 - 2006, single DVD

The Complete Review (2 DVD) = Under Review 1978 - 2006 on disc 1 and Under Review 1934 - 1977 on disc 2

The DVD Collector's Box (2 DVD) = The Complete Review (2 DVD).

The Daughters of Zeus = Lonesome Heroes, single DVDs with the same contents (110 min version edited from the same footage)

About the originals: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/underreview.html
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mkevenson

Re: DVDs: New titles but always same contents

Post by Mkevenson »

Jarkko, thank you for the links. Since you did not address the primary question, I must assume that there may be a difference of opinion as to the "appropriateness" of such a purchase?
So I will ask in another way that may be more forthcoming.
Is there a DVD source that gives the same or similar info, that IS authorized by Mr. Cohen, and in fact produces some royalty to the performer, Mr. Leonard Cohen?

Mark.

P.S. I have no problem what so ever sending this box back to Amazon, even if there is no other source, just to be FAIR!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

First: Amazon is announcing another DVD release (on December 11).

Producer: The Collector'S Forum
Run Time: 275 minutes on three DVDs

Dominique Boile and I have been discussing the release (he found it first) but we don't know yet what kind of documentary this will be. We wouldn't be surprised if it was an updated version (third disc?) of the same Review stuff.

Mark: these DVDs are close cousins to those unauthorized biographies written by various authors.
The producer of the DVDs has collected material from various public sources, and does not use any longer audio/video footage from Leonard's official releases. They have filmed interviews with some Cohen scholars and people around him, but not with the man himself. Leonard was not asked for permission to produce these. I don't know about the royalties but would be very surprised if he got any.
These are not exactly bootlegs because Leonard's live performances are not used.
Unfortunately there are no official, authorized documentaries like this (that would cover his whole career)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mkevenson

Post by Mkevenson »

Jarkko, thank you for the update. Sorry I posted in this thread and not my original. I appreciate your knowledge on this and all matters dealing with Mr. Cohen.

Mark
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

More about the new "Triumvirate" 3 DVD set in this new thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36462

DVDs 1-2 are again the Reviews but the third is a new one, The Mind of a Poet.

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”