CBS Camera Three Television Show

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
jarkko
Site Admin

CBS Camera Three Television Show

Post by jarkko » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:03 am

LKronquist@attbi.com

I found a place on your site where it is acknowledged that Mr. Cohen was the subject of a Camera Three production in the mid-1960's. I myself saw the program at that time and recorded the audio.

I would dearly love to obtain an audio or (preferably) video copy of that program. The program ran for 30 minutes. One unique thing about the program was that it contained a performance by Cohen of the song "God is Alive, Magic is Afoot", which has never appeared on an album or CD.

I had recorded the audio from the program on an old reel-to-reel tape deck when the program was shown 35 years ago, but the recording was lost long ago.

It is my understanding that PBS took control of all of the old Camera three programs, so they may possibly have the original videotape.

The Camera Three program was very well done -- I think it borrowed some footage from "Ladies & Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen", but it also contained an interview segment done expressly for Camera Three and some poetry and songs performed by Mr. Cohen. I know that Buffy Ste-Marie recorded God is Alive, but Mr. Cohen did a superb job on the song himself and I don't understand why it was never put on an album. So this is the only program that I know of where his performance of the song can be seen and heard.

I don't know if you have any contacts that might be able to follow up on this, but it would be worth some effort because it was a very well-produced program that captured the essence of Mr. Cohen, just as his fame as a singer-songwriter was blossoming in the mid-1960's.

Thanks
Larry Kronquist
Olympia, WA
USA
songbird

Post by songbird » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:46 pm

That sounds like something I would love too. Lol.
Why don't you try contacting PBS? Maybe they will reair the special or sell you a copy?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:32 pm

Leonard performed that song! Well, I think CBS Canada should finally release dvd!
diamondsinthemine

Camera Three

Post by diamondsinthemine » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:28 am

From The New York Times (1968 Leonard Cohen - By William Kloman) Found on the old LC List Files:
"Last September, Cohen was featured on "Camera Three," a CBS Sunday morning cultural affairs program. He sang a few songs, read some poems, and was pictured peering sensitively into several tawdry Broadway store windows. The impression he made was strong enough to elicit the greatest audience response in the show's fourteen-year history.
One viewer berated the network for "letting this cancer loose" on the Sabbath, but most of those who wrote wanted to know more about Cohen. Who was this ambiguous and tortured poet who prowled the urban slag dump proclaiming "God is alive. Magic is afoot"?
Cheers,
Stephen
http://www.diamondsinthemine.co.uk
Celebrating the film and television recordings of Leonard Cohen
BCinNYC

Re: CBS Camera Three Television Show

Post by BCinNYC » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:08 pm

For what it's worth - I was in the studio during the taping of that show as a guest of the host, Jim Mac Andrew. He was my boss at the newly constructed WNYE TV studio. I remember Leonard lip syncing Susanne with the CBS orchestra as backup, while playing a fake guitar painted blue so that images could be keyed into the body (very cool stuff in those days).

It would be terrific if a DVD or audio recording of that show became available.

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”