mccabe and mrs miller

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
woody

mccabe and mrs miller

Post by woody » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi all,
I just watched mccabe and mrs miller- great film. Besides the three main songs they seem to be instrumental guitar tracks throughout the film which i didn't recognise. the guitar sounds very much like cohen of this period but i didn't recognise the melodies. does anyone know if cohen is responsible for these? and if so are they compiled and available anywhere? bootleg or other?
thanks...
dce

Re: mccabe and mrs miller

Post by dce » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 am

woody wrote:Hi all,
I just watched mccabe and mrs miller- great film. Besides the three main songs they seem to be instrumental guitar tracks throughout the film which i didn't recognise. the guitar sounds very much like cohen of this period but i didn't recognise the melodies. does anyone know if cohen is responsible for these? and if so are they compiled and available anywhere? bootleg or other?
thanks...
Hi Woody

There are definitely other guitar instrumentals on the film soundtrack that were played by Cohen, although (to my ear) most of them sound more like alternate takes / outtakes of recordings from the "Songs Of LC" studio sessions rather than anything "new". Different Cohen biographies have varying descriptions of Cohen's contribution to McCabe and Mrs Miller, but all of them agree that there was an official soundtrack LP issued in 1971 which contained all of these instrumental doodlings. The LC discography I compiled many years ago (and which you can still find various places online) has a track listing and catalogue details for this record ... but I have personally never managed to track down a copy to verify.

If you do find a source of these recordings (bootleg or otherwise), I'm sure the forum would like to know!

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
dce

Post by dce » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:53 am

Looking through previous forum posts, I also found this from 2008 that has some interesting additional info: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13054

Reading the in-passing comment from Robert Altman about LC needing to record a guitar riff particularly for a scene ... I guess that means that his contribution wasn't exclusively outtakes and variant takes of the original studio album.

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
woody

Post by woody » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:39 pm

thanks dean.
i would love to hear this but i don't hold out for it being available. perhaps the record label don't think it's worthy of a full release. however now we have the technology i think Sony should investigate doing fan releases of live shows and out-takes as paid for downloads.
i would love to hear this- leonard had a great sound going on back then, would love to have some extended instrumental stuff of his.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:14 pm

:D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”