Leonard Cohen Live In Israel DVD (2009)

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
TGuy

Leonard Cohen Live In Israel DVD (2009)

Post by TGuy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Dear Friends,

Leonard's concert in Israel felt to me to be very special and, I dare suggest, seemed also to resonate deeply with Leonard.

I have been fortunate to attend two other concerts - Prague and Olympia (2008) - and while always struck with the effort and attention of Leonard and the Band, I feel he delivered in spades on his promise in Tel Aviv "We'll give you everything we've got tonight".

So it is with this feeling that I watched the wonderful videos from Tel Aviv so generously shared (to the recorders and up-loaders of which I am grateful) and when I realized that videos of almost the entire concert were available - I was compelled to collect and edit the most complete rendition of the concert that I could manage.

I did not think that this endeavor would take the better part of my nights for two months straight - although I admit that frustration only very rarely appeared.

So this is my imperfect offering, which I hope you will enjoy:

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/ls/171. ... Israel+DVD

Technical and Other Notes:

There are two DVD's - No. 1 - First Set; No. 2 - Second Set & Encores.

Each DVD is available as a disk image file (IMG) split into four compressed RAR files, for easier downloading.

Please note that all four parts of a DVD have to be downloaded befor un-archiving that DVD.

Also available are more compressed MOV file versions, without benefit of the quality and menus of the DVD format.

In compiling and editing the DVD I was guided by, and my "artistic" choices were made, in keeping with these objectives and principles (in order of importance) - originality, completeness, sound quality, video quality, consistency.

With this in mind, I would note the following:

• There were no complete enough videos from Tel Aviv of "In My Secret Life" and "Closing Time" and these songs have been substituted by videos from the concert in Barcelona only three days before, on Leonard's 75th birthday.

• Sound (only) of "Waiting for the Miracle" is taken from another concert, because of very audible talking all the way through in both the original videos that were available. Other than a slight sync problem at the beginning of the song, Leonard seems amazingly consistent in his delivery and for that reason the transplanted sound is hardly noticeable as such.

• Sound for the second half of "Boogie St." is also taken from a different concert, because of unavailability of the original. Some of the video images in this second half, although of Sharon's Tel Aviv "Boogie", do not actually match the audio, for the same (un)availability reason.

• My apologies for the sound quality at the very end of Leonard's band introduction in "Take This Waltz", this was the only footage available. Unlike "Miracle", here Leonard is less consistent in the timing of his introduction of each Band Member (probably also because of differing audience reactions) - so the attempt to replace this with better audio from another concert was abandoned.

• I could have done without most of the talking / commentary / individual sing-along by the audience, security personnel and food vendors (the cries offering beer from time to time were especially annoying) and which I avoided where possible. But I love the woman muttering "Oh my God" during Leonard's intro to "Anthem" (when Leonard says "So, ring the bells…").

• This may only be of interest to me, but you may as well know that the font used for the names of the songs in the menus is "Helvetica", which I believe is the font used in printing the original concert setlists.

Credits:

Video / Audio – nana10 / yosmusic / tuviamilkycat / yoavarden / TaliaE / eladiiy / albertnoonan / hannir2 /13Sierra / Kwistax1 / ASAFICO99 / shegh / mayormyq / EddieElad / illanaaron / TovaTre / kilkulo / yonatmor / daver667 / anatni / MajorTom2oo1; Photos - Hen Altof / Edi Israel.
Last edited by TGuy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
2008: Prague, l'Olympia Paris | 2009: Tel Aviv | 2010: Moscow | 2012: l'Olympia Paris
"So come my friends, be not afraid. We are so lightly here ..."
TGuy

Re: Leonard Cohen Live In Israel DVD (2009)

Post by TGuy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 pm

If anyone is having either trouble or success in downloading the DVD - please let me know
2008: Prague, l'Olympia Paris | 2009: Tel Aviv | 2010: Moscow | 2012: l'Olympia Paris
Inna

Post by Inna » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi TGuy

I have just now finished watching your amazing composition of a movie of this unforgettable night. It was almost unbearable to watch at times, as intense emotions have swept me and my heart was palpitating rapidly through some of the high highlights of the evening - Hallelujah, His Blessings, His Greeting, His smiles, and us.

Thank you so much for your initiative. This will stay with me forever. Thank you.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
TGuy

Post by TGuy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi Inna,

wow! your reply is so touching and has made this all (even more) worthwhile.

I was hoping to share this with the forum from the moment I started and now this wish has really come true.

Thank you.
neo

Post by neo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi TGuy,

thank you very much for compiling all these videos into the complete concert. Your DVD captures the spirit of the show very well.
This has so much soul and charm, I doubt that an official professionally filmed product could render that to your screen as well. The imperfections just add to the experience, as you don't care for shaky pictures anymore as you suddenly feel as being there...
TGuy

Post by TGuy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Neo,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I was wondering if you, or anyone else, were able to download the DVD img files - i know they are not so small...
neo

Post by neo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Downloading the DVD img files was no problem. Thank you very much again for sharing!
Patyou

Post by Patyou » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:35 am

Hi everybody

Thanks for the shared items, but I have a problem dowloading the files. They arrive in my deskstop without the .rar extension. May ssomeone help me in this matter ?

Thanks and Regards
Patyou
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
neo

Post by neo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:56 am

I guess your operating system hides the .rar extension. Try to open the files from within the application you use to un-rar.
Patyou

Post by Patyou » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:03 am

Hi Neo

I tried this way but it tells me that the archive is corrupted... Perhaps I don't use the right way to download the files. Thanks anyway.
Patyou
neo

Post by neo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:26 am

Some applications need all rar files present on your hd to completely un-rar the archives. I had no problems with these files.
What application do you use for un-raring?
Patyou

Post by Patyou » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:02 am

I use winrar, but the the files doesn't even show the rar icon. Strange, isn't it ?

Thanks
Patyou
neo

Post by neo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:11 am

Strange. :?: Here you can update to the latest version. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
Patyou

Post by Patyou » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:12 am

Well, nothing to do. It is always corrupted. Juste before the end of the extraction he asks me the first file (named : leonard). I started by this one, so I don't understand why he asks me that at the end of the process...

Thanks

Patyou
Patyou

Post by Patyou » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:30 am

Well I found that it was a Firefox problem. Thanks for you help. That's ok now.

Patyou

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”