L Cohen's Position/Attitude Regarding Fan Recordings

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
nyctaper

L Cohen's Position/Attitude Regarding Fan Recordings

Post by nyctaper » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:23 pm

So, I'm new to this forum, but certainly not new to Leonard's music.
I operate a website called nyctaper ( http://www.nyctaper.com ) where I incorporate my unofficial live recordings in the structure of a live music blog (news, reviews, links, etc).
I purchased a 4th row ticket for the first Radio City show today. I have read a lot of this board and it seems that while Leonard does not officially condone fan recordings, that he does not seem to object. While this board is technically a fan site, it is also links as "Community" on the official site. Also, it seems that just about every show from 2008-09 has been recorded and offered at Dime, Tradersden and other places (and linked here), without any official condemnation.
NYCTaper operates under the rule that we don't post recordings without the artist's permission or without knowledge of an artist's "taper friendly" policy. If I recorded and posted Leonard's Radio City show, the site would be stepping outside that rule -- but I would be willing to take that chance if I could be confident or even assured that Leonard and his management would not object to the post.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc?
crimpies

Re: L Cohen's Position/Attitude Regarding Fan Recordings

Post by crimpies » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:39 pm

My suggestion is to go for it!
Melbourne Feb 5 2009 / Melbourne Feb 10 2009 / Wellington Oct 31 2010 / Wellington Nov 1 2010 / Melbourne Nov 12 2010 / Melbourne Nov 13 2010 / Sydney Nov 16 2013
Womanfromaroom

Re: L Cohen's Position/Attitude Regarding Fan Recordings

Post by Womanfromaroom » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:23 am

What you SHOULD do is to contact Len's management and explain things to them (find the address on the Leonard Cohen files) - they are very open and generous, but at least it would make things official!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”