Raffi Hagopian CDs available

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
kmlevine

Raffi Hagopian CDs available

Postby kmlevine » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:02 pm

Raffi hagopian was LC's amazing violinist on many cds. I located and have two Raffi Hagopian CDs which I am willing to sell to whoever might be interested. Ther are Gypsy Fever with Eva c 1996 & Raffi Hagopian Enchanching Violin Music 1996. Both rather difficult to acquire.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken Levine
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:53 pm

Hi Ken ~

Amazing! Just when we thought there weren't any. Where did you locate/find them? I'm VERY interested ~ in them, or a COPY of them [prior to your mailing out whatever you have in your hand at the moment], if others have already contacted you.

Welcome to the Forum :D !

~ Lizzytysh
Linda

Postby Linda » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:18 pm

I am very much interested in them also, or a copy.
Linda
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:11 pm

Are there any Cohen songs on the CDs?
Jarkko
kmlevine

Raffi CDs

Postby kmlevine » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:23 pm

The Cds are Gypsy violin music; no LC songs.

Thanks

Ken
Ken Levine
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:01 pm

please, kmlevine, can you write me at tomsakic@net.hr
i have many leonard's gigs in replace, also from 1979/1980 tour (with Raffi on violin)
tom
ania

Postby ania » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:46 am

im a month late (how unusual for me... ppfff) but i thought id try anyway... any chance of getting a copy? im a gypsy music fanatic.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:58 am

"Well, little lady, you're in luck......I'm not Kris Kristofferson".........but I did get the cd's :D [at a total of $35 :shock: USD ~ information-sharing for shock-value only :wink: ]. I will be happy to make you copies 10 minutes after I get a cd burner & make Tom his copies. The 10 minutes is for a personal break. Contrary to the deal I got, however, yours will be free of charge. I will only need your address. I love gypsy music, too :) .

After I got the CDs, it never occurred to me to revisit this thread. I'd forgotten that someone other than Tom was interested in them. So, if Linda still reads here, I will also make you copies. You shared some with me a long time ago, and this would be the first opportunity I've seen where I can return your kind gesture.

~ Lizzy
ania

Postby ania » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:33 am

lizzy youre a legend! thank you SO MUCH!

i have some eastern european gypsy music as well as some flamenco gyspy, im happy to make you copies also!

[edited because i cant type]
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:05 am

No problem ~ and the trade, although unnecessary, would be great! Gotta tell ya' ~ I was surprized. The "Gypsy Fever" one is rather like "Gypsy Goes Hollywood" ~ reenforced by its being produced at the Hollywood Music Center on Hollywood Boulevard in L.A. It's a collection of "old standards" by Raffi and Eva. Unquestionably wonderful and glorious renditions of the songs, it remains very difficult for one, who has grown up with these songs, to separate out all the "old associations"! If you think I'm kidding :lol: :wink: , this is the playlist:

Play Gypsy; Sunrise Sunset; Brahm's Hungarian Dance No.5; Hungarian Dance; Chardash; Moldovian Dance; Slavakian Dance; Brahm's Hungarian Dance No.4; Love Is A Many Splendored Thing; Hora Staccato; Be My Love; Spanish Eyes; Old Romance Chrysanthemum; My Loved Melody; The Windmills Of Your Mind; and Old Waltz. Thoroughly enjoyable, all of them ~ just a bit ananchronistic, somehow, when I think of being in olde Hungary [or wherever else the band has wandered on to], dancing around the campfire :wink: !

The other one, on the other hand, "Enchanting Violin Music" was produced by Parseghian Records ~ also in L.A., but the song titles on the cd itself are all in [what?] Hungarian[?] There's an exquisite graphic on the inside of the sleeve, which I'll of course, copy. The song titles on the back sleeve are in the other language on the left, and English on the right. The playlist for this cd is:

Raffi's Dance; Babayan Slow Dance; Kintaury; Amran Arevi Tak; Amran Arev Dance; Shushanik; Armeni Dance; M. Legrand; Albenioni; Im Tbilisi; Kani Vur Janim; and Kez Siretzi. Now, you may recognize some of these as being covers; but for me, this cd sounds more authentic, and for that reason, I prefer it. Please don't misunderstand me on that either! I love them both! I just always prefer authenticity!

They were both recorded in 1996.

Maybe the latter can help me to summon the spirits of the dead, for that assignment I have going on the other thread :wink:

It looks like I need to commit to purchasing a cd burner by this time next week. I've been checking into them, but just no decision yet. But I'm compiling a backlog of recording agreements :shock: ~ and I don't care for backlogs. I'll get it to you ASAP, Ania ~ just PM me with your address. I promise it won't be long!

~ Lizzy
Linda

Postby Linda » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:34 pm

When did he change the spelling of his name from Hakopian to Hagopian?

I should be receiving one of his cds shortly from another source. However, thanks for your gracious offer Lizzytysh.
Linda
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:42 pm

Oh good, that's great to hear, Linda! I suspect I may know the source :wink: , but maybe not ~ are they the same one[s], or have you accessed additional cd[s]? You're welcome, of course :D . What's important is that you're able to get it/them, or something else, by him. I'm glad for that. His violining is exquisite :D

It seems that with foreign languages, names of people/places/things aren't always similarly or exactly translated. There's a lot of phonetic spelling that goes on. There are a lot of these kinds of examples as you look at spelling of people/places in the Mid-East. I wondered about that, too, regardless, especially after I saw the price[!] :wink: and wondered if it was, indeed, the same man! Well, I figured kmlevine didn't come all this way to fool us, and took the chance. It is indisputably the same man, and with each cd having its own spelling.

It's even quite possible that one could say on the Gypsy cd that "these songs have never sounded so good!" It's a safe and wonderful bet on either! It's good to see you here :) .

~ Lizzytysh

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”