CIV/n

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
Maarten

CIV/n

Post by Maarten »

Hello,

Can anyone here give me some more information regarding the publication of this book? I know it is from the early fifties and that it contains early work by LC... I read something about it in a biography, but can't find it anymore.

There are several issues in this series, I gues:
CIV/n number 1 upto 7 I think.

Anyone?

Best regards,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
diamondsinthemine

Post by diamondsinthemine »

The same bookseller discussed in the post below (lithograph on eBay) also has a copy of this book for sale on his site for $100. Not much more info about it though:
Collins, Aileen (editor) and Leonard Cohen, Raymond Souster, Louis Dudek, Eli Mandel, Anne Wilkinson, Irving Layton, Robert Creeley and More
CIV/n, Number 7
Montreal: Wraps. First Edition. Near Fine. Scarce early 1950s publication. Contains early work by Leonard Cohen (Leonard N. Cohen). A fine copy with light darkening to spine and edges, and faint crease across covers.
Bookseller Inventory #005619
Link: http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo ... =385324796[/url]
Cheers,
Stephen
http://www.diamondsinthemine.co.uk
Celebrating the film and television recordings of Leonard Cohen
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

As far I know, CIV/n is Ezra Pund's word for "civilization", and this magazine was started by Louis Dudek who was very fond of Pound's poetry. (Aileen Collins was his wife.) Also, that this was the magazine/publication of the Montreal school of poets (listed above by Stephen). I guess you can always read the issues in Canadian libraries, or some better European national libraries. I don't now where do you live, but Im' sure you cannot find the magazine before London at least.
When I'm willing to read old archives or litearary magazines, I usually go to National library&archive here. I don't know does this help - maybe some of our friends from canada could do some research/copy the issues in their libraries/send it to us. (I would be interested also).
I read about CIV/n in Nadel's Various Positions. You can trace it using the index.
I believe that most of LC's poems from there were reprinted in his first two books, but I know there are some uncollected - probably presumed as not good enough for the books - there's complete bibliography of all LC's published works outside his books on the end of Prophet of the Heart by Rawlins&Dorman, I think all his contributions to CIV/n are listed there.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Some information:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/2/17/h17-209-e.html
Layton in CIV/n: http://www.ccca.ca/history/ozz/english/ ... rving.html

Plus: Aileen Collins made monograpgy in 1983 titled CIV/n: a literary magazine of the 50's.

This picture was taken on launching of the book in 1983.
Description: >>Irving Layton, F.R. Scott, and Louis Dudek in the publishers' living room for the launching of CIV/n: A Literary Magazine of the '50s, edited by Aileen Collins, 1983. Photo by Tim Clark.<<
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Collin's book contains all seven issues of the magazine and index and all that for only 25$. Well, Marteen, thank you, now I'm going to buy it!
http://www.ipgbook.com/showbook.cfm?bookid=0919890407
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hello Stephen and Tom,

Thanks for the information! I found about the same information on the internet aswell, after I posted my question.
And I will definitely look up the info on "Prophet of the heart" and in "Various positions".

Guess I'm going to buy the book too!

Have a great week.

Best regards,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I decided to put that Collins' book on hold for a while (I have some more important LC books to get) because I read the bibliography in Prophet of the Heart and it seems that LC published 7-8 poems in CIV/n and that they all were reprinted in Let Us Compare Mithologies, only "Friends" were rewritten (last two lines are different, but the authors of Prophet of the Heart quoted those lines in their bibliography so if you have the version from the book, you have all).
CIV/n is discussed from pages 37-40 in Nadel's Various Positions.
JackieRobinson

Re: CIV/n

Post by JackieRobinson »

I have a few copies of the CIV/n publications...no.7 has the Leonard N. Cohen poem "The Sparrows" in it in page 14.

I know these are pretty hard to find.

I contacted Robert Currie who also contributed and he replied to me and gave me some useful informations.

Awesome read I must say

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”