Leonard Cohen

Poll ended at Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:28 pm

I love ALL his work because HE COULD DO NO WRONG
80%
I love ALL his work except for Bird on a Wire
No votes
I love ALL his work except for Bird on a Wire and Jazz Police
10%
I not only love ALL his work but I think he was a great geezer (Apart from his writing of Bird on a Wire)
10%

Total votes: 10
LisaLCFan

Re: Vital Leonard Cohen Poll

Post by LisaLCFan »

AlanM wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:32 am
LisaLCFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:09 am Come to think of it, how do you know that I'm not him/them, and how do I know that you're not? ;-)
How do I know that I'm not?

You can't.

smarcu wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:02 am ...I Know Geoffery personly & such a thing he wouldnot dream to do, not devius like Saloonleonard. Read mark 5:9

Exactly.
Oscotarach

Post by Oscotarach »

Schlongleonard be one crazy bitch wit plenty of names. Geoffrey on da othah hand be straight wit all choo guys. Choo know wat i mean? Ain't nobody got nah time fo' dat nonsense. Geoffrey would nevah do nuthin' like dat.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Oscotarach would have been seen as a benevolent helper who removed the memories from the dead so that they would not recall their past lives or long for life itself...

Hmmm
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

AlanM wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:55 pm Oscotarach would have been seen as a benevolent helper who removed the memories from the dead so that they would not recall their past lives or long for life itself...

Hmmm
it is with some amusement i monitor the shenanigans currently on display in this otherwise intellectual community. please excuse me if i am unable to participate; my interests tend to sail above such juvenilia. i would like, though, to inform alan that i am impressed by his knowledge of the head piercer. this gives me hope for an eventual return to a more scholarly interaction.
LisaLCFan

Re: Vital Question

Post by LisaLCFan »

Oscotarach wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:10 pm Schlongleonard be one crazy bitch wit plenty of names. Geoffrey on da othah hand be straight wit all choo guys. Choo know wat i mean? Ain't nobody got nah time fo' dat nonsense. Geoffrey would nevah do nuthin' like dat.

As a former student of Sociolinguistics, I am curious about the above post and I have a question: what sort of accent/dialect is the above post meant to represent? If I had to guess, I'd say British Lower Class Hooligan, tinged with North-Eastern American Gangster. Am I close?
Geoffrey

Re: Vital Question

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:53 pm
Oscotarach wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:10 pm Schlongleonard be one crazy bitch wit plenty of names. Geoffrey on da othah hand be straight wit all choo guys. Choo know wat i mean? Ain't nobody got nah time fo' dat nonsense. Geoffrey would nevah do nuthin' like dat.

As a former student of Sociolinguistics, I am curious about the above post and I have a question: what sort of accent/dialect is the above post meant to represent? If I had to guess, I'd say British Lower Class Hooligan, tinged with North-Eastern American Gangster. Am I close?
allow me to offer assistance until oscotarach returns. no, you are not too close, my dear. it is a language that goes by several names, including afrikaan, hiphop, jive, etc. - but most commonly today as 'ebonics'.

https://youtu.be/RrTSYhGtaqw
https://youtu.be/RrZlWw8Di10
https://youtu.be/sdQUAsZaCoI
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:54 am ...allow me to offer assistance until oscotarach returns. no, you are not too close, my dear. it is a language that goes by several names, including afrikaan, hiphop, jive, etc. - but most commonly today as 'ebonics'...

Ah, yes, of course! The "crazy bitch" should have given it away, as it was rather incongruous with my suggested dialects.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

smarcu wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:02 am
I Know Geoffery personly & such a thing he wouldnot dream to do, not devius like Saloonleonard. Read mark 5:9
Is crumbless bread the best thing since sliced bread? @bakeinspace’s @smarcu explains their concept.
Is sacrum-less vertebral column the best thing since a pierced head? @nonlegaldoors doesn't care for anything, so don't bother asking hymn.

I wonder if smarcu (= sacrum) knows oscotarach (Biblically or otherwise).

It certainly looks like they went to the same school.

A
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you, lisa, for your comment. that is the first time i've seen the word incongruous in this forum. well done! :-)

thank you also to alan, for a cryptic message that i have yet to decipher. you know, perhaps, that leonard was well-versed in the antics of the head piercer, and wrote about him with considerable enthusiasm?
solongleonard

Re: Vital Leonard Cohen Cheese Roll

Post by solongleonard »

LisaLCFan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 am
Geoffrey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:54 am ...allow me to offer assistance until oscotarach returns. no, you are not too close, my dear. it is a language that goes by several names, including afrikaan, hiphop, jive, etc. - but most commonly today as 'ebonics'...

Ah, yes, of course! The "crazy bitch" should have given it away, as it was rather incongruous with my suggested dialects.
If you were a fan of the TV show, "Dr. Who" you would learn all about dialects

for example, watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN19oHT ... =minetruly
LisaLCFan

Re: Vital Leonard Cohen Cheese Roll

Post by LisaLCFan »

solongleonard wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:31 am ...If you were a fan of the TV show, "Dr. Who" you would learn all about dialects

for example, watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN19oHT ... =minetruly

Very informative and highly educational. Thank you for today's lesson!

Geoffrey should be pleased that we have returned to a more scholarly interaction.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Years ago Geoffrey sent me some doggerel he had composed over"more than 38 years". Apparently, it was a dedication to his admiration for me. His words were "hey Michael, this is a dedication to my admiration for you". He debated sexual congress, or "in congruity" as he regularly termed it, but I refused to weaken in his presence.

"I consider you a saint and everybody has loved you
I study all night in your school
You have the greatest ever beauty of any lover
you make me act like a fool
And just when I was sure that your Evian waters were pure
you poured it all in the pool
Your body is wonderful but your back makes me forlorn with envy
Your spirits are diluted to help me not drool"

Another day he predicted there would come a time when I wrote the best ever forum "witty thingy" with une playe de words about "congress". He acidly continued "no-one will appreciate it, Mike. That's the way Life goes".

What an odd but loveable little scamp he was in those days.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”