'toons

This is for your own works!!!
solongleonard

'toons

Post by solongleonard »

dementia 9.jpg
I am a great fan of my artist friend Tony Husband. He is a gifted cartoonist. Over 30 years or more I have admired his work and have, on many occasions, commissioned 'toons that I have myself designed or scripted.

When Tony told me he was making a simple desk calendar for a Dementia charity, I thought that was quite a challenge. Those suffering won't get these most affectionate jokes he created. He has once again shone brilliantly, with loving and so poignant' toons. I have given them to family members whose parents, or other relatives are in that state. These carers need a break.

My Dad was called Jack and I remember visiting with my children, then aged about 5 and 7, perhaps, an aunt who was mid-nineties and terribly far away in her head. It occurs to me I may have told this story before. The repetition of this tender tale does make me happy. My own memory, and sharpness, are competing with my hair to say a complete goodbye these days.

Aunty Nettie called me Jack and I gently said "that Jack was my dad, Nettie. I'm Michael". She reached forward and tapped my arm and said, "I think I should know the right names, Jack". Who would ever argue with her? This illustrates a constant view of the World that I have held for millions of years. "Winning is for Losers". It's why I have a favourite quote "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of tiny minds", Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Who cares about being right. That's why I can seem harsh with my observations sometimes. I may not care about error and can be a wee bit pedantic even. I forget that others may be more competitive than I am.

I don't care and never will care about being right.

let me know if you enjoy the June 'toon I can copy other months.

fondest wishes to you all

Michael

PS Eeek, I just remembered I was in Zoom shul the other day. A lady in my congregation was a member of the same Montreal synagogue ("shul") as Leonard. On one memorable occasion, a nephew of Leonard was explaining to the congregation the meaning of one of his uncle's songs. A voice came from the back, no-one had noticed his arrival, and said that the interpretation was "completely wrong". Oh, I bet he said that with utter grace. As he did, for example, the time he was in the front row of the audience when I was at the mic in a folk club in London. I announced, "if I could remember the words of my tribute to "Leonard's dreadful dirge, " Bird On The Wire" I would recite it now. He smiled at me and responded, "Michael, go ahead. Go ahead". Always fearless, but so long since I had checked the words, I scraped up only the following
"There's a Bird on The Wire
Shoot Her
Shoot her.
Time for Tweetie to expire
No more points as a Frequent Flyer"

Originally, I had written several verses, mimicking the real t'ing.

All gone now, and I have moved on to not writing a book. It's progressing well and I must check soon if 8 pages is long enough for the Bestseller that it will certainly be.
Last edited by solongleonard on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
solongleonard

Re: 'toons

Post by solongleonard »

dementia 00.jpg
another beauty
Last edited by solongleonard on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

dementia 6.jpg
Last edited by solongleonard on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks, Mike. Very thoughtful and thought-provoking.

All the best!

L
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Thank you, Michael. I'm pretty sure I speak for all of us when I say how interesting that was. Pity the pictures were askew, but we can bend our necks and see them - so not to worry :-)
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

it is pretty weedy that I can't work out how to rotate them!
Last edited by solongleonard on Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

cracked it! some of you may be interested in my advice - hold the camera the other way, simple but brilliant

dementia 4.jpg
Last edited by solongleonard on Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

dementia 5.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

solongleonard wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:40 pm cracked it! some of you may be interested in my advice - hold the camera the other way, simple but brilliant
i didn't understand the one with the cat, but am in awe at your technical skills, michael. don't worry about the shadow of your phone covering the one with the treadmill; a mere detail. :)
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:18 am
solongleonard wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:40 pm cracked it! some of you may be interested in my advice - hold the camera the other way, simple but brilliant
i didn't understand the one with the cat, but am in awe at your technical skills, michael. don't worry about the shadow of your phone covering the one with the treadmill; a mere detail. :)

now that "problem" I have not yet solved. I take a pic under a light and a shadow is cast.

I have a better 'toon by another artist that has the cat leaping in the air. It just leans on their strong feline character and contrasts with the puzzled/bewildered human types who have been excluded from the bequets
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

here's the link to 3 cartoons I commissioned for the Montreal Event in 2002

2are by Tony, and the other by Martin Honeysett

https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/hydraE11.html

you may also see me kissing Jarkko and Heather Salisbury behind him

Years later I was with Heather at another LC Event, maybe New York, and we had to run from our room to make the first public playing of Dear Heather. Leonard had kindly recorded a personal greeting for her

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”