Happy Jewish New Year, Leonard

This is for your own works!!!
solongleonard

Happy Jewish New Year, Leonard

Post by solongleonard »

Shana Tova to you all.

Many here may know that whilst Leonard was born of a different religion, and indeed he coined the phrase "Buddha can you spare a dime", misunderstood decades later by a "Lady" called Lynch Kelly as "please steal $5million from me", he also went through a period at the Chelsea Hotel, which is normally a female-only monthly biological trip, where he embraced Judaism and also embraced the ragtime pianist Scott Joplin, which made him part British and explains his darker skin, sometimes venturing on to the NY streets and was lyrically accused of being "the little Jew who stole the bagel", but that hadn't happened yet it was a track in The Future, ending badly when Scott explained he was actually looking for Christ Christ Orhisson, whose religion about which we have no clue, and Leonard got into mobile sex instead and often had a "Bird" on the wire in the days when Birds went cheep and so was phone-sex a disgusting practice which at least couldn't happen if the "bird" on the line was engaged, and Leonard was injured after getting a hernia from carrying his phone-box down an alleyway to conduct his filthy habit privately, and this was in contrast to the contemparaneous courting style relationships "de nos jours" where both mother and father (also 25 other assorted close complete strangers), accompanied Leonard on his figs and dates, and this romance showed a great contrast with the rough and tumble of " where is my Motel Wife tonight" and tarts were directed to the lonely writer's room and were screamed at to "Mount Baldy" which they did for money but Cohen, mysteriously, never became pregnant, Crying Nightly (who starred in Prune and Predijuice) and was back then a famous Actress, sang the singer to bed with a Cunters Lullaby, "your father's gone a cunting..he cannot take his child" but other times when she was persuaded by his friend Solly Tude she hugged him and sang "giving you teddy on your freshly made beddy", and then he felt comforted and "everything's gonnor(Chris)rhoea alright".

Happy New Year Leonard, you Genius of Grace. I, too, am a brilliant writer but you were funnier.
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

Re: Happy Jewish New Year, Leonard

Post by LisaLCFan »

solongleonard wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:40 pm ...Happy New Year Leonard, you Genius of Grace. I, too, am a brilliant writer but you were funnier.

That single-sentence paragraph was brilliant, and funny! Well done, old bean.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

I am not an OLD bean. I am a has-bean.

But now, you have taken my feelings and crushed them.

There on the stair you have gone clip-clipetty-clop right there, I feel like a little mouse.

Like Geoffrey, you wear clogs.

Like Leonard, me and him were the Olsen Twin, named after Jimmy Superman.
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Crushed beans are very tasty -- garbanzo beans in particular, with a bit of garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and tahini -- it would have a dip like you dancing and hummus with joy.
solongleonard

Row: Snaappy Jewish nude ear, Beonard and Jerrys

Post by solongleonard »

you have demonstrated the difference between yourself and Geoffrey.

You are a foodie. He is a hoodie. (I am, as we all know, all 3 of us who all post here know all that).

The never bending celery thread, sponsored by a God Fearing Norske singer, goodness! these days is just an attempt to lure any random visitors to this forum to his thread. Each time he publishes another Muhammed Ali sketch, another kitten dies. Meanwhile, he is desperately deciding whether he has the bulls to upgrade to this Religious vegetable thread. And bulls, notoriously vegan, remain a goring away from a Geman war-leader.

I bet that Geoffers never joins us here, the epicentric of Cohenoidism. Sally thinks we are playing a game and her counter-attack is to quickly, yet lengthily assert her coolosity by either ignoring us. She is trapped and there is no way out.

Let me assert this, as she diverts that. I really love and admire Sally and wish I had half her brilliance and half her talent and half her Wreny.

But that's ok
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

A row of snapping nudes eating ice cream

Post by LisaLCFan »

Who's Sally?
Geoffrey

Re: A row of snapping nudes eating ice cream

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:33 am Who's Sally?
good question.
--------------------
i am here, michael, but short on time. i beg your patience for a little while longer.
your posts are great. just because i am silent doesn't mean i don't love you.

the rose i sickened with a scarlet fever
red leo.jpg
AlanM

Re: A row of snapping nudes eating ice cream

Post by AlanM »

Is she the one between Third and Fifth, as in the fourth, the fifth, ...
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

I say, shall we sally forth making silly sallies?

Post by LisaLCFan »

AlanM wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 am
Is she the one between Third and Fifth, as in the fourth, the fifth, ...

Hmm, you may be onto something, but I am afraid that I am hopeless when it comes to music theory. However, I am good at looking up words in dictionaries, and the Oxford English Dictionary offers this:

"UK English: NOUN -- sally (sallies) -- Pronunciation /ˈsali/

1A. sudden charge out of a besieged place against the enemy; a sortie.
1.1A. brief journey or sudden start into activity.
2A. witty or lively remark, especially one made as an attack or as a diversion in an argument; a
retort.

VERB sallies, sallying, sallied

1. Make a military sortie. ‘they sallied out to harass the enemy’
1.1 formal, humorous. Set out from a place to do something. ‘I made myself presentable and sallied forth’"

I think that clear things up quite nicely!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Forth

Take your pick!

I also know nothing about music theory, other than what I have learned from Leonard.
I am aware of the term Sally Forth and thought the aforementioned Sally may be an oblique reference to It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth, ...
But then I may have been overthinking it all.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

AlanM wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:03 pm ...I am aware of the term Sally Forth and thought the aforementioned Sally may be an oblique reference to It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth, ...

I get it now! (I'm afraid that one slipped past me! :oops: ). Well done!
solongleonard

If you do not fall for Tim Buckley you are, technically, Dead.

Post by solongleonard »

I have a favourite quote about Tim Buckley. “Nothing in rock, folk-rock, or anything else prepares you for a Tim Buckley album, and it’s funny to hear his work described as blues, modified rock‘n’roll and raga rock when, in fact, there is no name yet for the places he and his voice can go.” Lillian Roxon, Rock Encyclopedia (1969)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyclyc ... =FudgieMod

Sally goes round the roses is hardly an outstanding piece sung by Buckley. By his standards, anyway. Still, it was a great improvement on the Jaynettes original Sally some years earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyclyc ... =FudgieMod

Real Buckley lovers will rate way higher

1. Happy Time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xtGxz ... kley-Topic

2 Sorry that my Cohen links to Buckley are so tenuous but try Lorca https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/posti ... eabe78c432

3. Here is a good piece about Jeff Buckley's relationship with his Dad. They met as often as once https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0fLYE8 ... TrebleClef

4. and an easy empath one that we should all sing in new romances or how about for a great break-up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ0f5_r ... ceOdyssee0

5. Here's am easy pop one "I never asked to be your mountain" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3jgpB ... kley-Topic

Sally will enjoy all of these once she is back from Norway
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

Re: If you do not fall for Tim Buckley you are, technically, Dead.

Post by LisaLCFan »

I assure you that I am very much alive, and yet, I will not be falling for Tim Buckley. I grew out of that kind of music sometime after high-school/undergraduate uni (a 1969 article extolling Buckley's virtues? I was still in nappies!). All that kind of music does for me is to remind me of smoky bars/pubs and all-night house-parties with drunk and/or high students, vintage folk-rock on the stereo and everyone trying to act so smart and cool, while getting totally wasted (and thus ending up acting moronically and/or obnoxiously). I have no wish to revisit that part of my past, and so you can keep your Tim Buckley's and all that other really trashy old music you like (except for Leonard Cohen, of course -- because there truly is "no name... for the places he and his voice can go").

Enjoy your weekend!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

solongleonard wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:22 am Sally will enjoy all of these once she is back from Norway
norsk 'salig' is pronounced 'sally, meaning 'blessed' - is unconnected to sally maryam williams. we don't see the glass in the window until it gets dirty, and even then we only see the dirt. i avoid kissing lips that have smoked cigarettes - dirty habit - or that have spoken dirty words, regardless of how beautiful the cupid's bow at the base of the philtral columns. vehicles in norway drive on the right, so revolving doors, without exception, are made to turn clockwise. at the travel agent's big glossy travel brochures are free, while at the newsagent's next door thin science or psychology magazines cost a fortune - and there is no reason.
https://youtu.be/-rmf5EqJVDw
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:45 am ... at the travel agent's big glossy travel brochures are free, while at the newsagent's next door thin science or psychology magazines cost a fortune - and there is no reason...

Sure, there is a reason. You are comparing two completely different things, insofar as to what their purpose is:

A travel agent makes a tonne of money by selling holidays, and so they can afford to give away free magazine-style brochures, because those brochures can lure more people in to purchase expensive holidays. The brochures are simply a part of the overall budget of expenditures for the travel agent, and not in themselves a source of income for the agency -- the holidays are the product that they are selling, not the brochures. It also probably does not cost them very much to print/buy those brochures to give away -- they are mass-produced and one set is good for a whole season, often requiring only minor revisions to the contents from year to year.

However, the magazines that one purchases at the newsagent are, in themselves, a source of income for the publishers -- the publishers have to make enough money selling magazines to make it profitable to keep producing them, because all they do is produce, print and sell magazines, and the magazines are thus the product that is being sold. Furthermore, magazines have to pay numerous staff and contributors for their work, and many of them publish brand new issues with brand new content every month or so, such that the costs to publish a magazine are far greater than the costs to publish a travel brochure.

Glad I could clear that up. Cheers! ;-)

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”