never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
its4inthemorning

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by its4inthemorning »

Hi Geoffrey,

I enjoyed your "Where are you, Judy, where are you, Anne" drawing a lot, you really captured the concept of impatience.

Regarding the second of your three unconnected images, jumping to the conclusion that it is the product of an unbalanced mind is not very PC these days. I would offer three other explanations:

(1) The beauty of art lies in the mind of its creator and in the mind of its viewers, if Andy Warhol's name was on it who knows what its financial value would be?

(2) The chaotic scrawls could just be the artist's frustration when he discovered that pages 121-122 were missing.

(3) The image was accidentally created by a perfectly sane individual who was merely trying to coax ink from a recalcitrant ball-point pen.

Just saying.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm ...the second is from a schizophrenic patient taken some days ago, perfectly illustrating the chaotic and nonsensical workings of an unbalanced mind...
Further to the comments made by its4inthemorning, when I first saw that photo, the first thing that occurred to me is that, when I am talking on the phone, I often simultaneously and mindlessly/unconsciously doodle/scribble on whatever paper happens to be at hand, and the results sometimes look very much like that picture. When I used to attend long meetings and/or lectures, I would also sometimes doodle/scribble very much like that. Apparently it is not terribly unusual to do that -- I've read various studies and accounts of all sorts of people (including those with orderly, sensible, and balanced minds) who have been known to absentmindedly doodle in those kinds of circumstances. Therefore, if I were inclined to make assumptions about someone based on seeing that picture, I'd simply think that it was a person who had been on the phone for a while or in a meeting, etc..

However, if Geoffrey actually knows the person who did that and says that they are a schizophrenic patient, then I will take his word for it, but I would hope that that diagnosis is based on much more than just random doodles/scribbles on a tattered old book!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

its4inthemorning wrote:

>I enjoyed your "Where are you, Judy, where are you, Anne" drawing a lot, you really captured the concept of impatience.

thank you. yes, if one knows what to look for, body language can be a big communicator.

>if Andy Warhol's name was on [scribbled pages] who knows what its financial value would be?

quite so. the value of a piece of toilet paper (or in these politically correct days 'bathroom-tissue') would also increase if it had warhol's signature ;)

good of you to take an interest. it is always educational for me to read what other people write, that is how i learn.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

have just seen your post, lisa - but have to go out for a while. i may write later, but yes, i have known the person for many years, and we meet regularly. :-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm ....the second is from a schizophrenic patient taken some days ago, perfectly illustrating the chaotic and nonsensical workings of an unbalanced mind...
Geoffrey wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:13 pm ...yes, i have known the person for many years, and we meet regularly...
Did your acquaintance give you permission to use their doodles online as an illustration of their mental illness, and would they be okay with you describing them on a public forum as having a "chaotic and nonsensical...unbalanced mind"? Seems like a bit of an invasion/violation of their privacy. If I met with someone and confided in them about my personal problems, I certainly wouldn't want to see pictures and descriptions of my mental state online a few days later (or ever). But of course, perhaps they consented, and thus my concern would be for naught.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello lisa. thank you for showing interest.

your curiosity is understandable; i am the same. in cases concerning behavioural abnormalities it is natural for an enquiring mind to want to know more. schizophrenia is, after all, a fascinating - yet serious - illness to which there is no real cure.

we sat together when the photograph was taken and no objections were made - quite the contrary. one should remember that a schizophrenic mind has no concept of logic or rationality.

apart from that, you will appreciate that i am reluctant to expand on what has already been written.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:40 am hello lisa. thank you for showing interest.

your curiosity is understandable; i am the same. in cases concerning behavioural abnormalities it is natural for an enquiring mind to want to know more....
You have misunderstood my post: I am not curious about learning more details about that person's illness or behaviour, rather, I genuinely felt that your post about them was inappropriate, and I voiced my concerns about that. It is one thing to read published case studies about individuals with mental-health conditions written by professional mental health practitioners, which have hopefully been conducted and reported with proper ethical consent, versus having someone casually discuss the mental state of a personal acquaintance on a public, online forum. And, we are not the same: I do not view my friends and acquaintances as personal lab rats to study and exploit for my own amusement.

Geoffrey wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:40 am ...one should remember that a schizophrenic mind has no concept of logic or rationality...
All the more reason not to use them as personal playthings.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lisa wrote:
>. . . we are not the same

not in everything (i am not easily upset, for example), but in the way we analyse and question there are definite similarities. i enjoy interactions with people quite a lot, even when the dynamics become a little heated - because that is when the exchange offers increased stimulation. others may do too, though perhaps not consciously, and not necessarily for the same reason. judging from the increased 'hits' on this site when a discussion becomes combative, one can only assume onlookers, too, enjoy the entertainment provided.

>You have misunderstood my post

i do not believe it was misunderstood. it was an attempt to purposely provoke a reaction by feigning concern for an anonymous person in order to establish a reason for conflict, was it not? ;)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:08 pm ...i do not believe it was misunderstood. it was an attempt to purposely provoke a reaction by feigning concern for an anonymous person in order to establish a reason for conflict, was it not? ;)

No, it wasn't -- you don't know sh-- about me. You're such a f------ a------.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Myself I long for love and light .....

holding light and infinity in the palm of your hand.jpg
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Myself I long for love and light .....
your hands, bev?
in any case a lovely picture representing peace
thank you :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:50 am your hands, bev?
Ha! Geoffrey, my female hands are not as old and wise as those male expressive hands!
I thought you would recognize them after drawing the body they belong to many, many times here in this thread ;-)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 pm Ha! Geoffrey, my female hands are not as old and wise as those male expressive hands!
I thought you would recognize them after drawing the body they belong to many, many times here in this thread ;-)
oh! i must admit he was the last thing on my mind. i did recognise the blake quote, though - so i'm not completely in disney land yet. not doing a lot of sketches at the moment, a little occupied with a couple of projects that use all the free moments, but no doubt they'll start appearing again when i get the itch. trust you are keeping well :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks, Geoffrey, I'm keeping well.
Geoffrey wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:50 am
B4real wrote: Myself I long for love and light .....
Yes, I am a peacemaker and here is my one and only rule in life again :) https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... at#p378483
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:
>Yes, I am a peacemaker and here is my one and only rule in life . . .
>Throughout my life, from childhood to this present day, I have tried to follow my one and only golden rule:
>
>treat others the way you would like to be treated.

most people would agree with this, bev, although such a philosophy is not confined merely to peace. some people, even well-adjusted people, enjoy both giving and receiving pain. in an erotic context such behaviour is, as you know, called sadomasochism. yet there is also a more common non-sexual derivation, a form of (frequently reciprocative) humiliation in order to obtain punishment - but this is a big psychological subject.

in a world where everyone's goal is peace, 'do unto others as you'd have done unto yourself' would serve as the perfect mantra, but the human condition is a diverse collection of personalities. whether or not that is a good or bad thing is up to individual interpretation. harmony is not always conducive to an interesting society.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”