never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:30 pm
LisaLCFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:50 pm Enough words for now -- I'm off! Cheers!
all right, but that means i win :)
No, it doesn't. I just don't want to argue with you about it any more, because never the twain shall meet, so I am just wasting my time.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

No, it doesn't. I just don't want to argue with you about it any more, because never the twain shall meet, so I am just wasting my time.
[/quote]

ok. no prob. i had to travel again. will continue posting when i get back. few more days. keep well :D
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:12 pm ...keep well :D
You, too!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

From six weeks ago:
B4real wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:40 am ...An interesting coincidence to my post above on reflections and mirrors just happened...
And from a thread from earlier today:
B4real wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:19 am ...Once again, I'm hooked on Part's Spiegel im Spiegel...

Another (belated) coincidence, perhaps? "Spiegel im Spiegel" translates to "Mirror(s) in the Mirror". ;-)
LisaLCFan

Re: A long time ago, in a never-ending gallery far, far away (or, now, right here)...

Post by LisaLCFan »

Tomorrow (or, for some of you, today) is May 4 (or 4 May, if you prefer), which is "International Star Wars Day", and so to all of you fine denizens of this corner of the galaxy, May the 4th Be With You!.
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:17 pm From six weeks ago:
B4real wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:40 am ...An interesting coincidence to my post above on reflections and mirrors just happened...
And from a thread from earlier today:
B4real wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:19 am ...Once again, I'm hooked on Part's Spiegel im Spiegel...

Another (belated) coincidence, perhaps? "Spiegel im Spiegel" translates to "Mirror(s) in the Mirror". ;-)
Ha! Lisa, You've been reading my mind!
Yes, I know what it translates as and I nearly mentioned it twice as in both those threads you have stated above!
I was constantly thinking of it while I was designing my "mirror(s) in mirror" 7000th post in this thread and recently while posting in the other music thread, the same thought also crossed my mind!
Most observant of you ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lead on, my son, it is your world
if you care to join me in the parlour we will be serving white cake.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:45 am lead on, my son, it is your world
You have captured Adam's grungy appearance very well -- he always looks like he's been sleeping rough for a few weeks.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:53 pm You have captured Adam's grungy appearance very well -- he always looks like he's been sleeping rough for a few weeks.
yes, he does kinda look like a citizen of skid row, but let's just assume a victim of cruel impressionism ;)
-----------------------------------
"music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" - beethoven
i'll play beethoven's sonatas, and chopin's preludes.jpg
say 'auf wiedersehen' to your nazi balls.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:05 pm ..."music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" - beethoven...
Love the picture of Beethoven! Greatest composer who ever lived. (And, don't even bother to try to argue with me about that -- just accept it as truth, or let it go.)

As for that quotation -- and I happen to agree with the sentiment -- it is dubious as to whether or not Beethoven actually said that. The quote, in fact, originates in the writings of a woman named Bettina von Arnim (Brentano), who was a friend of Beethoven's, and who wrote perhaps rather imaginatively in her memoirs about her relationship and encounters with him. She quotes Beethoven at great length, supposedly verbatim, from letters he supposedly wrote to her (but which may never have actually existed except in her mind!), and from conversations she supposedly had with him. It is remarkable that she could recall, word-for-word, paragraph-length speeches in flowery language that he supposedly said to her years earlier -- one of which includes the above quotation. It is widely believed that she made up a lot (most?) of the words that she attributed to Beethoven, perhaps drawing from things that he really did say, but then embellishing them considerably.

As I have undoubtedly mentioned previously (because this is one of my pet peeves), I am always wary of quotes that do not indicate the source, other than the name of the person who supposedly said them -- the internet is rife with them, and I have found that many of them cannot be verified, or, if they have been investigated, they've been found to be fraudulent or otherwise suspect, like the one above. A lot of them seem to come from third parties -- supposed friends and acquaintances who supposedly heard the famous person in question utter the quotations that have since become relentlessly repeated, whether online, in print, on posters and mugs and t-shirts, and/or in all manner of places. Some of the quotes are possibly accurately attributed, but I remain skeptical of most of them.

Mind you, regardless of my doubts as to the veracity of the above quotation (and many others), as well as my perpetual irritation at the total lack of practical logic that I perceive from the vast majority of people, I do recognise that some of the ideas expressed in such quotations can be inspiring, interesting, amusing, thought-provoking, entertaining, etc., and that they therefore may serve some useful purpose, even if they are nothing more than little works of fiction.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you, lisa. i agree with what you wrote, though could not have expressed myself that eloquently. beethoven is, of course, regarded as the greatest composer who ever lived by most classical music connoisseurs. my father and all his capstan full strength loved him, and i still have the '9th' LP that he gave me when i visited him 30 years ago on his 70th birthday. i actually prefer the 5th, but that is probably due to its symbolic connection to churchill's 'V' for victory sign. it is written as fact that stravinsky detested beethoven, though grew to appreciate him as maturity ensued - at least that's what the internet tells us. a fact is not necessarily the truth, i think it's more complicated than that - or maybe i've read too much a.j.ayers. however, i do believe that to know the truth one needs to define reality, and according to scientists and philosophers that is certainly no easy task.
-----------------------
while here i would like to show, for the sake of grasshopper mentality and subject variation, three unconnected images that have little to do with any of the aforementioned. the first is a group picture taken yesterday. a lovely day, delicious food, beautiful weather and for once no arguing or fighting. the second is from a schizophrenic patient taken some days ago, perfectly illustrating the chaotic and nonsensical workings of an unbalanced mind. the third is a simple flower drawn a few minutes ago while listening to vivaldi. i often wonder how these big names in classical music would have reacted had they been exposed to rock. beethoven was not a proficient guitarist (or so they say), but neither is elton john. have a nice day, and thank you again. you are amongst my most interesting and valued online acquaintances :)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm ...i often wonder how these big names in classical music would have reacted had they been exposed to rock...
Ah, but they were exposed to rock/"pop" -- or at least, their centuries' equivalent: "opera" was the pop music of the late-16th to 19th centuries, for it had mass appeal (unlike the more "serious" instrumental music), and opera singers -- as well as some opera composers, esp. Rossini -- were "celebrities" very much like modern-day rock stars. In most cases, the music of opera was easily accessible and pleasing, not requiring much thought or attention, and there was a lot of spectacle for those with limited attention spans. Sounds like rock music to me! ;-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm ...beethoven was not a proficient guitarist (or so they say)...
Do "they", really? I do not know if Beethoven ever played a guitar -- piano, organ, violin and viola were what he was known for playing, although with his talent, he could probably have played a guitar quite proficiently, had he been so inclined. The guitar was actually well-established as a classical instrument in Beethoven's time (and had been for several centuries...), and he was either personally acquainted with or at least he most certainly knew of one of the most famous classical guitarists of that era, Mauro Giuliani, an Italian who lived in Vienna for several years, and to whom Beethoven sometimes referred in his own letters and conversations (empirical evidence!). Beethoven also had a girlfriend who played the guitar -- Antonie Brentano, sister of aforementioned Bettina (she of the imaginative memoirs) -- and thus the guitar as an instrument was obviously known to Beethoven, regardless of whether or not he played it, proficiently or otherwise.

It is possible that Beethoven wrote his lied (song) “An die Geliebte” for Antonie (composed in 1811, revised 1814), which was eventually published in 1826, and the published score specifies that it is for either guitar or piano accompaniment. So, it could be that Beethoven himself wrote the guitar accompaniment specifically for Antonie to play -- in which case he would have been familiar enough with the guitar to compose for it and its idiosyncratic style, and it would also be the only known piece for guitar written by Beethoven. Alternatively, Antonie may have arranged his original piano accompaniment for guitar, perhaps with his approval, and thus it may be her arrangement that was published alongside Beethoven's piano version in 1826.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

goodness me, you never fail to impress. i would be more than content to possess just a fraction of such encyclopedic knowledge.

shelley bought a guitar (it still exists) for his close friend jane shortly before he died in 1822. i don't believe he could play it, but she was pretty damned good by all accounts - and this is what i was thinking about when reading your message. yes, i guess opera was the equivalent of rock, though it would be more than a century before guitars turned electric. beethoven and his contemporaries might well have been disgusted by such 'degenerative' genres of music such as ragtime, reggae, rap, etc.

we will never know.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Shelley, yes, I recall having an online conversation with you at some point in the past about the guitar he gave to his female friend, which still exists. Speaking of the guitar and those who had connections with it in the 19th century, Hector Berlioz (the composer) was apparently a very proficient guitarist -- by some accounts a virtuoso -- and it has been documented that, for a while in his 20s (before became famous), he taught guitar for a living (i.e., to have money to live on), and he was also known to accompany himself on guitar while he sang (just for fun). And, Paganini also played guitar -- apparently extremely well -- and is said to have always travelled with a guitar while on his concert tours, for he enjoyed playing it so very much (although he only played violin on his tours -- as you know, he was a phenomenal violinist). Paganini also composed a variety of music for guitar, which is still played by classical guitarists, the most famous of which is his Grand Sonata for Guitar and Violin, which is very often arranged just for solo guitar (because the violin part was written simply as an accompaniment to the guitar, so the guitar part is the most substantial and arrangements can fairly easily incorporate some of the violin bits into it).

As for "encyclopedic knowledge" -- thank you, you are very generous to say that, but I simply like to read a lot about things that interest me, and I have a pretty good memory for what I've read. Mind you, what's in my head is limited in scope to those things that have most piqued my curiosity over the years, while almost totally ignoring (and mostly not even caring about) everything else, and so my internal encyclopedia is undoubtedly missing quite a few volumes!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”