never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

hei bev. thank you for responding. a special warmth and cordiality seem to shine from your messages.

yes, i remember that picture very well. it was soon after i read the aristotle note concerning the outward appearance of things that i first came upon picasso's "the world today doesn't make sense so why should i paint pictures that do?" to one who is interested in quantum mechanics it tries to confirm that reality is an elusive concept. i do not know where the other quote comes from, but wholeheartedly agree with the inference that an interesting picture is preferred to one that is beautiful.

it really is no big deal to have people staying with me. if it happens it won't be the first time. my pictures have hung in the town hall and police station, and i'm occasionally asked to translate documents into english; so the authorities know a little about me.

after zooming in and doing some detective work i managed to read the 'thought for the week' cutting. apparently it says: "i can't change the direction of the wind but i can adjust the sails". it would probably take at least a week for my decrepit brain to chew on that ;)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey,
Thanks for your kind words – much appreciated!
If you do get some boarders, I hope things go well for everyone.
You must have hawk-eye vision to see all the words for that "Thought for the week" quote.
And yes, it is a thought-provoking one :)

Hummn..... I’ve just realised that this is my 6999th post!
I should post something to symbolically mark the next one ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:
>If you do get some boarders, I hope things go well for everyone.

there are quite a lot of them. they have arrived in oslo and are being sent to different towns. the ones arriving here are to be lodged in a big hotel for the time being, as there are no tourists here yet.

>You must have hawk-eye vision to see all the words for that "Thought for the week" quote.
>And yes, it is a thought-provoking one :)

i have a big screen, lots of software: predictive text software, OCR (optical character recognition), etc.
however, in this instance it was only necessary to use one of adobe's image sharpening tools.

>Hummn…. I’ve just realised that this is my 6999th quote!
>I should post something to symbolically mark the next one ;-)

that is quite something, and yes, you should somehow mark the occasion! when a poster here reached a certain milestone once, leonard sent them a book. good old days. he will always be missed :(

stay well !
B4real

Post by B4real »

Well, here we go, this is my 7000th post. I simply cannot believe ALL that number encompasses!
I decided to mark my reflective thoughts of this milestone with 7 mirrored twin reflections of Leonard over the years.
I believe 7 is considered a lucky number by many creeds and cultures over the centuries. It has also been said that if you break a mirror, you get 7 years of bad luck. Huh, not much chance of that happening in the mirror images below, so it’s all good luck!

And some of you may know this; Suzanne (Susan in English) is my middle name, so –
"While Suzanne holds the mirror" ...

7000 posts - 7 reflections.jpg
Looking backward, looking forward :)

Geoffrey wrote: that is quite something, and yes, you should somehow mark the occasion! when a poster here reached a certain milestone once, leonard sent them a book. good old days. he will always be missed :(
Geoffrey, I remember Leonard generously did that. Yes, we miss him but he will always be here in our hearts.

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments,
but what is woven into the lives of others.

~ Pericles
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Congratulations, Bev.
A well thought out post for such a momentous occasion.
I'm looking forward to # 14000.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

AlanM wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:41 am Congratulations, Bev.
A well thought out post for such a momentous occasion.
I'm looking forward to # 14000.

Alan
ditto!!!! good to see you again, alan - and it does not go unnoticed that your avatar consists of seven straight lines :)
bev, you are such a resourceful person, so much imagination. i could never have thought of anything like that!
---------------------------------------------------
our local shopping centre is a great meeting place :)
ted nugent called and he wants his shirt back.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks, guys :D
I had fun putting it all together. I actually had it as a gif file to post with just the mirror on a transparent background and when I went to post it here, the background appeared as black. It wasn't like that in any other application and I didn't like the black so I did it all over again with the neutral background you see now.
Nevermind, it's just another view :)

Alan, 14000 posts is maybe a little adventurous ;-)
Geoffrey, that is very observant of you to see 7 lines in Alan's avatar - I didn't!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:31 am Well, here we go, this is my 7000th post...
Wow, Bev, 7000 posts, that's amazing -- Congratulations!

Very creative and fun idea to use seven various "mirrored twin" photos of Leonard in your "reflective" post -- wonderful!

Cheers!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks, Lisa :D

An interesting coincidence to my post above on reflections and mirrors just happened. I’ve been re-watching the TV show House and last night I put in the next in sequence DVD. The first up story was called, "Mirror, Mirror", ha!

My friend and forum member, nautilass who died very near the same time of the year as Leonard gave me the House series DVD’s years ago for my birthday. Thinking about this and my 7000th post has led me to further reflections of my 100th post which connects me to another episode of House and Leonard. Another forum member, Arlene (bridger15) who is also no longer with us in this world told me in that post her son, also called Leonard, was a writer on many episodes of House including the one I watched last night, "Mirror, Mirror".

Sometimes things really do seem to go round in circles :)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hei bev. i am amongst a lot of people who remember arlene, a real leonard cohen fan if ever there was one. and yes, things do sometimes seem to go around in circles, the entire universe in fact. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
found this anonymous picture on a website and though it looked slightly like leonard cohen.
my masterpiece unsigned.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:12 am hei bev. i am amongst a lot of people who remember arlene, a real leonard cohen fan if ever there was one.
yes, things do sometimes seem to go around in circles, the entire universe in fact. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
found this anonymous picture on a website and though it looked slightly like leonard cohen.
masterpiece unsigned.jpg
Arlene will always be remembered here, that's for sure!

I know you are into Quantum mechanics etc so as we have spoken of mirrors and the universe, here's an interesting video on Quantum Physics in a Mirror Universe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyTqgnKD3sw

Ha! Geoffrey, not too difficult to recognize the style of the artist - I think you had better sign your masterpiece ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hei bev. thanks for video! looks interesting. will look through it when i come back from driving juanita to the airstrip, she's having a long weekend down in kongsberg. meanwhile . . . quick pic :)
blind boy grunt.jpg
hello, i'm back now. we were early, so she took me to the rica parken hotel for breakfast before we left ålesund - even paid for everything. a lot happened, but it's a long story. the main thing is i'm safely back home. dropped her off at the airstrip and she said she's coming back on tuesday and is going to buy me something nice from the tax-free shop. so now i'm going to make me a nice cup of tea and sit down to watch the video. while i'm gone, here below is a picture that i like very much. it's called "i'm glad to hear you talk this way" :)
i'm going to the bathroom to read.jpg
my goodness, what a lecture. now i know a lot less than i did yesterday. it got so complicated i seemed to lose the thread, and started focusing on the wrong things, such as his snow white neck, immaculate teeth, unusually thick caterpillar eyebrows, the way his thumbs kept kissing, his uncallassed office worker hands and his perfect, uncluttered body. please do not think bad of me, bev, but my mind just wandered because i lacked the mental stamina to keep up with him as he read from the rolling teleprompter. made me remember a lady journalist named vera kvaal who sat in front of leonard at a conference. she said that halfway through, when everyone was fully engrossed in what the speaker was saying, leonard turned around, leaned back, and asked her "do you write?"

as you know, earlobes betray a person's character just as much as the chin - so i found myself studying the astrophyicist's features as he spoke, because he had already lost me and i couldn't help it. very clever editing, the way two sections were seemlessly joined during camera movements and zooming.

at times i wondered if i was being wound up, like that old turbo encabulator prank video, especially towards the end when he seemed to enjoy constantly repeating the word 'panspermia' - and i love the australian accent. i might see 'crocodile dundee' again tonight.
https://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag

anyway, don't get angry with me and forgive my shortcomings. i am basically just a simple-minded leonard cohen fan and hobby illustrator. in parting, i offer another useless sketch, trying to prove that just because i hold the world record with substandard leonard cohen portraits it doesn't mean i can't attempt to do other people as well :)
maybe it's 'cause i'm wearing your cologne.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hehe! Don't worry, Geoffrey, I got lost in parts of that quantum video too! You could say lost in a maze of mirrors :)

Excellent drawing of Bob, full of feeling. His eyes really draw you in and I love the subtle line detail of the downward turn of his mouth. But just a personal observation and please don't take it to heart - I would not have placed his name over his chin because I find it a little distracting from the essence of such a wonderful sketch.
Also, the overall attitude of the woman in your last drawing is most tangible -
B4real wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:08 am "The aim of art is not to represent the outward appearance of things, but their inner significance" ~ Aristotle
"A beautiful picture attracts attention, but a picture with something to say sustains interest" ~ unknown
;-)

EDIT: I should add that I haven't listened to Bob Dylan for a long while but I've felt the urge to do so in the last week. Maybe it's because I've been thinking of Ken's (LIverpoolKen forum member) passing and his like of Bob's music.
Or it could be that a lot of his songs are most applicable for the times now. Hummmn....
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:
>Excellent drawing of Bob . . . I would not have placed his name over his chin because I find it a little distracting from the essence of such a wonderful sketch.

thank you, bev. the original sketch of dylan is without his name, that was placed there after being scanned - so no worries.

>Also, the overall attitude of the woman in your last drawing is most tangible

the impressive ms eilish.

>I should add that I haven't listened to Bob Dylan for a long while but I've felt the urge to do so in the last week. Maybe it's because I've been thinking of Ken's (LIverpoolKen forum member) passing and his like of Bob's music. Or it could be that a lot of his songs are most applicable for the times now.

i did not know liverpool ken. bob dylan has undoubtedly made a permanent mark in the history of culture, so one can do a lot worse than listen to his work. as for the ukrainian/russian conflict, that will disappear - and then the media will have something new. in times of despair one can glean comfort from the scriptures, luke 12:25 is a good example.

this weekend i will not be around. am driving with a friend down to hotel alexandria in loen - stopping at ørsta, volda and stryn on the way. snow in the mountainous areas, but beautiful sunshine.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: ... as for the ukrainian/russian conflict, that will disappear - and then the media will have something new. in times of despair one can glean comfort from the scriptures, luke 12:25 is a good example.
Luke 12:25 25 - Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?

Now all that brings to mind some words I saw a Ukrainian soldier’s mother say on TV recently about her son.
I wrote it down at the time because I thought it was interesting.
She said: "He refuses to worry or pray; he says if you don’t do one, you don’t need the other".

Geoffrey wrote: this weekend i will not be around. am driving with a friend down to hotel alexandria in loen - stopping at ørsta, volda and stryn on the way. snow in the mountainous areas, but beautiful sunshine.
Sounds lovely! And speaking in Australian strine (slang) – "Avagoodweegend!"

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”