never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:58 am ...Hi Lisa, I just wanted to say that's a great painting of a tree from your part of the world...So below is a photo of one of my pastel paintings of palm trees framed and on my wall from my part of the world :) ...

Hey Bev! Thanks for the kind words -- nice of you to respond so sweetly! We do have a lot of coniferous trees up this way, that's for sure. I love your palm trees and beach -- it feels warm and peaceful, and reminds me of some wonderful tropical holidays I've had, which I've actually been thinking about a lot lately, for one reason or another.

Great to see you and more your lovely artwork! Cheers!
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure, Lisa and glad you like my trees. They're just part of the local scenery.
You know, it's spring here now and summer gets so hot I would love to see some snow fall here in December.
Ah, well maybe just a snowflake or two would do - I don't really want a blizzard of ice ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

i like everything as well. so glad other people are posting pictures, good ones too. this is excellent!
i have a visitor from bergen with me for some days, so am a little tied up. will return :-)
meanwhile . . .
--------------------------------------------
"my friends think i’m a barrel of laughs" -l. cohen
someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

have just noticed on the previous page that michael is still trying to sabotage this thread. this is not funny, not cool at all, michael. jarkko is busy enough, and has to use time and energy putting things right. a little while ago someone here called your antics puerile, and i am starting to agree.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey, relax. It will all be alright.

I think there is something going on for you at the moment that you are right not to share. The same someone you didn't name called me last night and said your recent post with a mental health analysis was puerile, but I applied the anagram test and decided that was a "pure lie". I think you are just having fun. I don't know what caused your savage switch from thanking me in one post to your horrific accusations about sabotage, but this is YOUR thread and we are simply honoured guests to be here. I have never hidden my admiration for your work, nor my great affection for you as a person. If you provoke Jarrko out of retirement to spend time assuaging your hurt then ..go ahead.

I can't draw and expect no criticism of that. Mutatis mutandis re: your writing.

Whilst, I note you are "starting" to agree with the unnamed critic, the question is how long will the process take for you to reach a conclusion. Maybe when you reread your volte face, and also when you realise I removed a post out of respect for your sensitivity, you will apologise for suggesting I am trying to sabotage this thread. As Margaret Thatcher once said "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony." It wasn't a brilliant move for you to complain about the removal of any critical comment.

As Jurgen Klopp once said - "good afternoon".
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

michael, i have no wish to engage with someone who spitefully contributes with massive empty posts.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

mat james wrote:Regarding the "noose" sketch above . . .
thank you, mat, for using energy on this - more than i had managed to do. i could show the page with the numbers that interested you, but it is merely the timings of some songs plus a rough sketch of a car. not good, but let me know if you will see it. have a great day!
------------------------------------------------------
couple of people in town centre.
bring my enemies here and kill them in front of me.jpg
i'm not your boy, i'm mangana the blackbird.jpg
solongleonard

"A massive lack of emptythy"

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:10 am michael, i have no wish to engage with someone who spitefully contributes with massive empty posts.

what's up, Geoff! I know you are the Guardian of Bandwidth. As a tribute to your sensitivity, I had removed critical comments. That wasn't a blank post! That was the public removal of the earlier critical post. It was a notable Creative Expression.

Now, below is an introduction for you to "blank page syndrome". Take my kindness as a generous learning opportunity.

Anyway, my original art ain't blank. I agonised for seconds where to place the 2 dots which you have spitefully overlooked with a massive lack of emptythy.

My drawing was to show you how close we really are, the proximity of the 2 dots, yet superficially there is nothing going on at all! You will now search for the dots, and discover mine is on top and to the left. Yours is beneath and on the right wing. Extraordinary! You attack my subtle creation. How whoah ah me.

My mind is different, and you shouldn't be scared of The Different. I have irregular "white matter", and after another brain MRI have again been called into the neurologist to find out what is happening to my sight.

What is blank page syndrome?
Blank page syndrome is usually associated with writer's block, but it's very much a thing for any creative activity, visual arts included.

It's a frustrating situation when you want to draw or paint, but you just can't get yourself to actually do it. So you end up doing basically anything else and hours, days, even weeks can go by without you having drawn a single line.

And you're not even sure why. You like drawing, you've got the skills (at least enough to get something down on paper) and you're not under any particular stress or pressed for time either. And yet, nothing.

In order to overcome "artist's block" and get you started and on your very best way to a new masterpiece I've prepared this handy list for you.

1 Get in the mood
The right mindset, for any kind of activity, is often more important than people realise. No point planning an artsy afternoon when your head's not in the game and you're really just thinking about what last minute holiday to book or what else you might need to prepare for tomorrows staff meeting.

In such cases, when you're sure to remember more things that need doing the second you sit down and want to relax a little, it helps to simply have a notebook close by. That way you can quickly write down everything that pops into your head and tackle the list later.

Even if you're not busy planning anything, you'll have to accept that sometimes you're just not in the mood. Maybe you're tired or anxious or angry about something.

You can either simply call it a day and postpone the drawing session until you're less distracted, or you can try and help things along with a little incentive.

Personally, I find that creating an extra cosy atmosphere helps my artsy mood along quite a bit. I turn up the heat, put on some fire crackling or thunderstorm ambience sounds (my absolute favourite is this Hobbiton inspired version) and light a scented candle.

2 Set a time frame
This tip sounds so obvious, but it still often gets ignored. Don't just plan to "draw a little", set yourself an actual time frame. Say, you'll sit down for one hour, with no interruptions from 4-5 pm Sunday afternoon.

Make sure that you're “watered and fed” before you start, then turn off your phone and don't get up before the hour is over. You can use a time tracking app to help with this, such as the most adorable forest app that I've mentioned in my post about time-management.

It's amazing how often we break our good intentions and still do something else "just quickly" whether that's packing the gym bag for tomorrow or taking the chicken out of the freezer. Either can surely wait an hour without your life falling into ruin.

Once we sit down for a drawing session we’ll suddenly remember all sorts of other responsibilities. The trick is not to listen.
Yes, this all makes drawing sound more like a chore than a fun pastime, but with so many distractions and addictive, fast-food-style entertainment like Netflix and social media in our daily lives sometimes we just need to force ourselves to do what's good for us.

3 Silence that judgemental part of your brain
This is a different kind of mindset that might need correcting, if you're prone to impostor syndrome. Many of you will know the feeling, you're just getting the first couple of lines on that paper and already there's that dark part in the back of your mind rolling its eyes and shaking its head.

You also have the great opportunity to consider my fab expression "lack of emptythy". This is high art.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

solongleonard wrote:I can't draw and expect no criticism of that.
just because someone thinks they cannot do something doesn't make it so. one can draw, and one can become tech-savvy - almost anything one wishes. all that is needed is the desire to learn and enough discipline to stop allowing laziness and pessimism to govern one's life.
even in the same dress you couldn't compare.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Just thought I'd bring some light and colour to this corner of the world :)
This was a painted stained glass commission I did for someone for their circular bathroom window.

Stained-Glass-fish-window-commission.jpg
"The light came through the window" ~ Love Itself

....and yes, Geoffrey is absolutely correct in that every single person in this world can draw or paint.
It's no mystery, it is simply a desire and a dedicated application to do so.
Last edited by B4real on Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:43 am Just thought I'd bring some light and colour to this corner of the world :)
....and yes, every single person in this world can draw or paint. It's no mystery, it's simply a desire to do so.
just what was needed. am so delighted to see these colourful creations by 'LK' and 'BK' - even though they put my own efforts to shame. i have always wanted to make a mosaic, but it's impossible to get coloured glass sheets in this poxy little fishing town.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Geoffrey, Glad to have brightened up things!

I should expand on my artwork. It is as I said "painted stained glass" not actual sheets of coloured glass.
The leading is also painted as raised 3D tube leading. Both are available from art and craft shops.
It's lots of fun to change the materials you use from time to time for specific occasions.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:Hi Geoffrey, Glad to have brightened up things!

I should expand on my artwork. It is as I said "painted stained glass" not actual sheets of coloured glass.
The leading is also painted as raised 3D tube leading. Both are available from art and craft shops.
It's lots of fun to change the materials you use from time to time for specific occasions.
understood, though a painted bathroom window might not tolerate a lot of steam or washing.

i did learn wpap and made a lot of digital mosaics (vector versus raster) - popular with indian artists. trouble was a picture could take an hour or two, and i dislike doing something that demands so much time. this is why quick drawings are preferred, max fifteen to twenty minutes, then move on.

the fish you made was very special, such dazzling colours. so too lisa's naked christmas tree with the many shades of green becoming darker as they moved closer to the trunk. studying other people's pictures is often a mental adventure, an insight into the artist's personality - a free education.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi again Geoffrey,
I’ve just this minute taken the photo below of my double hung window in the bathroom with the underwater scene I designed and painted over 30 years ago using the same transparent stained-glass paints and 3D tube leading as for the previous fish artwork - thanks for your kind words about it!

I have retouched the design below in some areas a few times over the years and you are right in saying there would be some deterioration because as you can see from my image, there is. The window faces the harsh western sun but it’s a cloudy day today so the light behind the glass isn’t as bright as normal – here the sun is nearly always shining!

016 my window.jpg
btw - I spend as long as it takes to accomplish my artwork whether that's 5 minutes or 5 days :)
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:40 pm
solongleonard wrote:I can't draw and expect no criticism of that.
just because someone thinks they cannot do something doesn't make it so. one can draw, and one can become tech-savvy - almost anything one wishes. all that is needed is the desire to learn and enough discipline to stop allowing laziness and pessimism to govern one's life.
even in the same dress you couldn't compare.jpg

But it might be so. Just because you say that thinking something may not make it so, so it may still be so.

I think I could draw and also become tech savvyish.

An element of discipline is on my "want list", that much is true.

Laziness is a poor call. I do choose to lift weights - I pick them up and then I put them back again. After an average 12 to15 hour work workday, I have other activities that are more important to which I attend. I have several near-friends and, combined liberally, they are nearly a real whole friend.

I have fallen in love again, it's been more than 3 weeks since the last time.

I am not pessimistic and when I teach writing, both to Beginners and to more Advanced Students, I always encourage them to believe that they have a small chance to write decentlyishly.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”