never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

Geoffrey,
I’m interested to know if those two verses of Lover, Lover, Lover are officially documented anywhere or not.
If possible, please let me know either way, thanks.

hello my dear.
that was a wonderful photo, gum tree leaf, toothpick after dinner, rubbish bin out back, etc. do you understand hebrew? am not sure if this link will work. if it does, there is a lot of 'lover, lover, lover' talk in the middle, and telephone text starts around 09:30. i don't have time to stay at the moment, but hope to return with comments soon.
https://www.mako.co.il/news-channel12?s ... mfiltqEOSo
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey, thanks for your prompt reply!
Glad you liked the unusual photo of LC - it definitely has an Aussie flavour :)
Yes, the link works and no, I can't understand Hebrew.
I saw the text verses. Maybe someone can please translate the speakers words relating to them for us.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:38 am Yes, the link works and no, I can't understand Hebrew.
I saw the text verses. Maybe someone can please translate the speakers words relating to them for us.
this may help :-)
https://www.timesofisrael.com/when-leon ... l3AHUSObAc
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Geoffrey,
Also maybe I should have been more patient because this morning I received the exact same link in my daily LC email update too!
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:58 pm Thanks Geoffrey,
Also maybe I should have been more patient because this morning I received the exact same link in my daily LC email update too!
that's nice. there exists a close circle of leonard cohen admirers who look after one another; part of his legacy. do you collect leonard's lyrics? i haven't had time to find the pic of him with a bear yet, but will do eventually, i expect. i don't have much of a system here, in fact i have no system whatsoever, if the truth be known.
--------------------------------------------
what we've got here is failure to communicate.jpg
lisa.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:14 pm do you collect leonard's lyrics?
That is a definite and absolute YES!! Read on - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 11&t=36625

When I started this book in 2016 I thought it would only take me 6 months or so to complete.
How wrong was I! As you can see, I'm still finding more lyrics :)

Here's the foreword I wrote in 2016 to the book which I will probably update before finishing it as Leonard was still alive when I wrote it:
I began this book with the intention of having as many song-words of Leonard Cohen as possible collated together in the one place. All the words from the official studio album songs are listed but they are the actual sung words and do vary from the written ones. Other songs that Leonard has covered are titled without verses because I wanted to have Leonard’s words alone. There are some exceptions to that as an impromptu on a few occasions. All songs, versions and improvisations are identified when and where they come from.

I have transcribed the majority of versions and improvisations from countless hours of listening to sometimes very difficult to hear live concert recordings. It has been a long but rewarding endeavour to catalogue these words and in the process to discover some hidden gems! All attempts have been made to correctly write these unofficially sung or written words. I apologize for any anomalies.

My artwork of Leonard accompanying his words through the pages is a visual time line journey of him and his songs over the years.
EDIT: Great portrait of Lisa, Geoffrey 8)
Last edited by B4real on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:14 pm [Geoffrey posts a new picture that looks like a familiar face]

:D Geoffrey, I'm touched ! It's not often that one has one's portrait done -- what a privilege, thank you! (Ink drawing?)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello. firstly, i am quite flabbergasted at learning of the mammoth job B4real has done, collecting leonard's lyrics. i was aware somebody had taken it upon themselves to compile such a work, but knowledge of that person's identity had escaped me. wish i had the patience and determination to undertake something like that. B4real, you have my respect!

secondly, it was heart-warming to receive a positive reaction to the quick sketch of lisa. any gratitude, though, goes both ways, because experience is something i need - and using someone's face can be a sort of exploitation. therefore i am always relieved when my pictures do not offend. it is not ink, only very dark pencil on a scrap of 160g copy paper. i don't send snailmail any longer, only email. high resolution file is 7.21 MB.

thirdly, the picture of leonard with the honey bear has been located. it was actually on the very first hardisk i opened, so luck was with me :-)
busy bee honey bear.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks for your kind words, Geoffrey! By the way, AlanM always calls me "Lady Lyrics" ;-)
I think my book will always be 'work in progress' because there's always something to add to it as has just recently happened. And another reflective arbitrary reason is that if I don't finish it, in my mind Leonard is still here with us....

And I remember that honey bear photo from here - https://allanshowalter.com/2021/05/09/q ... -to-death/
Q: Has your approach to making music changed?
Leonard Cohen: “I never had an approach. I was always like a bear in a honey tree, just trying to get something without getting stung to death.”
Ha! That last sentence provokes some interesting images in the mind just waiting to be put down on paper, don't you think :)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

i did not know sean had given that bear pic to mr showalter. she gave it to me many years ago, and i cannot remember her saying not to show anyone - but i can delete it if any objections arise. she gave me others too, but now i know to keep them under wraps. you are good at keeping abreast with the goings-on. i can't write any more at the moment because it's four in the morning, the middle of september, and i just stopped by on my way to the kitchen. i don't know why people have to put salt in a chili con carne :-(
---------------------------------------------
"i'm like a rat at the bottom of a barrel trying to sink its teeth into something." (l. cohen on songwriting)
what does that tell you.jpg
https://youtu.be/cuc-UP1FmnM
-------------------------------------------------
my hometown is an isolated place, but the people are friendly :)
https://youtu.be/4P-ri9Vrkq0
humans created the idea of heaven and hell to cow simple-minded people into compliance.jpg
the smokey life
his lips and his fingers were blue.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

faces seen in town.
faces.jpg
drawings
with a face that any painter would paint as he walked through the crowd.jpg
more pages from scribbling book :)
he'd kill us if he got the chance.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"there's a blaze of light in every word, it doesn't matter which you heard - the holy or the broken hallelujah!"
without time we don't exist.jpg
mat james

Post by mat james »

...from "a wounded dawn".
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

mat james wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:04 am ...from "a wounded dawn".
thank you, mat james. am not sure what it means, but am grateful for a response :-)
-------------
for entertainment purposes, and for anyone interested - source examples of a couple of recent pictures:
------------------------------------------------------------
no idea of this runner's identity, it was just a snap spontaneously taken a couple of weeks ago during our annual marathon. i have a somewhat bad conscience because he was a young and handsome fellow before being attacked with a clumsy marker pen; made him age considerably. let us hope he never sees this mutilation of his fine features.
marathon runner.jpg
this is a lady met one evening some days ago inside a huge tent, a revival meeting on the island of ellingsøya. she was leading everyone in prayer, although i was more focused on capturing the moment with a camera. i was sitting near the back, and having just bought a 'samsung S21 ultra' wanted to experiment with the zoom function in artificial light. the result was surprisingly good, and afterwards i couldn't resist using a simple pencil to produce my own version. the little drawing of jesus in the top corner was just uninspired fantasy to fill a blank area.
revival meeting.jpg
mat james

Post by mat james »

"Then he struck my heart with a deadly force
And he said, "This heart, it is not yours"

And he gave the wind, my wedding ring
And he circled us with everything

By the river's dark in a wounded dawn
I live my life in Babylon".

I love your work, Geoffrey.

Whenever I hear "...the holy or the broken hallelujah..." I am reminded of the above lines fron his song, "By The Rivers Dark".
...the brooding, blood-red "wounded dawn", for me, is that beauty caught in the transition between darkness and light, a transitory shift from the broken to the holy hallelujah, the "neverending" source of Leonard's impulse.
...the rivers dark wind their way to the blazing light, so to speak.

Mat.
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”