never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I guess I'm too gullible (or, I am just not adept at mind-reading) -- I did not, actually, understand this picture to be a joke (well, I knew that the Louvre part was a joke -- I'm not that gullible!). Aside from the moustache, I quite like it!

gullible or not, you are honest - and that is a rare quality. neither did i like the moustache, but in many of his pictures from that period he did have a 'shadow' above his lips, and a black marker pen allows no nuances. his arms were often shown to be covered in thick black hair as well; much testosterone, i gather.

it is my hope that the temperature in your area has risen somewhat since the recent cold spell. here we are being warned not to step into an avalanche.
avalanche warning.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:22 pm ...[1] it is my hope that the temperature in your area has risen somewhat since the recent cold spell. [2] here we are being warned not to step into an avalanche.

1. Yes, it has risen, quite considerably so: it is currently a balmy -4 C, which feels nearly tropical relative to last week's brutal cold.

2. Always good advice. I have never experienced an actual physical avalanche, but I've been in numerous metaphorical ones. Best to avoid them, if at all possible.

Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"i met a woman long ago, her hair as black as black can go. 'are you a teacher of the heart?' soft she answered 'no.' "
woman.jpg
low res.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 pm "i met a woman long ago..."

Whoever she is, you must be fond of her, as there seems to be a gentleness in your picture that perhaps reflects affectionate feelings.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Whoever she is, you must be fond of her, as there seems to be a gentleness in your picture that perhaps reflects affectionate feelings.
-------------------------------------------
well, maybe you are right, lisa. perhaps a painting can reveal emotions, just as variations in a person's handwriting can reveal their mood at the time. even the listening experience of two musicians following an identical music score can differ according to their state of mind, although i'm not sure how that works - unless they're not being faithful to the composer's notes.
passenger.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:12 am ... the listening experience of two musicians following an identical music score can differ according to their state of mind, although i'm not sure how that works - unless they're not being faithful to the composer's notes...

I can explain that, a little bit. Even if one follows a composer's notes exactly as written, including not just the notes themselves, but other markings and directions, there will still always be room for "interpretation", and that is why two different performances of the same piece of music, even when the score is followed precisely, can sound somewhat different (occasionally much different!). If you click the link below and scroll down to the categories of "Tempo", "Dynamics", and "Moods", you will see that when these words appear on a score, it is not precise, like showing what note to play, rather, it is an imprecise direction as to how to play the notes, and these are the nuances, sometimes subtle, sometimes not-so-subtle, that can produce different results in how the music sounds depending on who is playing it (and when -- the same musician can play the same piece a bit differently at different times, too, perhaps depending on their mood at the time, but also maybe just because the directions are imprecise and allow for minor variations).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... in_English

By the way, interesting expression on Leonard's face in your latest portrait -- it's "poco misterioso".
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

p.s. When I wrote the above, I had momentarily forgot about Erik Satie, who sometimes sprinkled his scores with very interesting directions as to how the notes should be played, such as:

"munissez-vous de clairvoyance" (equip yourself with clairvoyance)
"comme un rossignoi qui aurait mal aux dents" (like a nightingale with a toothache)
"sec comme un coucou" (dry like a cuckoo)
"un peu chaud" (a bit hot)
"peu saignant" (little bleeding)

:?: It would be interesting to hear how various musicians interpret those directions!

Or, there was Olivier Messiaen, who suggested colourful interpretations of the notes, literally, writing in the scores for certain notes to be played "orange", "purple", "red and purple", etc.. (Of course, he had synaesthesia, such that he actually heard sounds in colour, but it is not possible for most other people to know what he meant.)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lisa, the knowledge you have - and the ability to share it - never ceases to astound me. a little homework on erik satie has occupied my time during moments free from visitors and social engagements, and i have appreciated very much learning from you. thank you :-)
-----------------------
"children show scars like medals, lovers use them as secrets to reveal" -leonard cohen
pencil.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 am lisa, the knowledge you have - and the ability to share it - never ceases to astound me. a little homework on erik satie has occupied my time during moments free from visitors and social engagements, and i have appreciated very much learning from you. thank you :-)

My pleasure! Erik Satie was a most fascinating fellow, which I am sure that you have discovered! Some of his music is rather nice, too -- at least, I'm quite fond of it!

Terrific portrait of Leonard -- it has such an immediate, life-like quality, it's quite compelling! Thank you for sharing it with us!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Erik Satie was a most fascinating fellow, which I am sure that you have discovered!

indeed i have. an eccentric fellow, by all accounts :-)

>Terrific portrait of Leonard . . .

thank you so much, lisa, for so often affording my work your generous comments. it was just a simple sketch using a couple of soft pencils (a 'B' for light and an '8B' for dark). the lead in the 'B' grade pencils (as opposed to 'F' or 'H') is quite soft, which means they need continual sharpening, but excellent for sketching. it is also possible sometimes to use a damp paintbrush afterwards to create a slight blending effect - although the paper may warp if less than 200g.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:56 pm ... the lead in the 'B' grade pencils (as opposed to 'F' or 'H') is quite soft, which means they need continual sharpening, but excellent for sketching. it is also possible sometimes to use a damp paintbrush afterwards to create a slight blending effect - although the paper may warp if less than 200g.
Thanks for the tip! I've seen "blending tools" sold at art shops to be used with pencil sketches (for dry blending), but I have never bought or tried them.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Thanks for the tip! I've seen "blending tools" sold at art shops to be used with pencil sketches (for dry blending), but I have never bought or tried them.

i have tried them, but they are more for people aiming at perfection - and that is a target my patience forbids me to hit. 'q-tips', tissue paper or just a finger can also be used :-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I could have sworn that a portrait of Leonard previously accompanied the above post. Odd that it disappeared!

As for expensive art implements -- indeed, one can often easily improvise with items that one has on hand (quite literally!), and smudging pencil lines does not seem to be rocket science that requires high-tech tools!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 pm I could have sworn that a portrait of Leonard previously accompanied the above post. Odd that it disappeared!

As for expensive art implements -- indeed, one can often easily improvise with items that one has on hand (quite literally!), and smudging pencil lines does not seem to be rocket science that requires high-tech tools!
whether that picture continues to exist is not certain. am at a meeting. will scan and repost if it can be found. look forward to getting home.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"the fact that my songs take a long time to write is no guarantee of their excellence."
we don't die, our atoms just rearrange themselves.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”